On the Ball (new Football Focus)

matthew123

There aren't many Manager's who show the same grace as Sir Bobby Robson in the pressue cooker of football management.

But back on topic (erm) United scored a late winner against Villa back in the Spring on 92 minutes - by the time the celebrations were over another 2 minutes had passed and it was time to blow the final whistle. I thought celebrations were part of the game - otherwise why not stop the clock when Rory Delap is drying the ball with a towel..

Keef - I suppose you're logic about 1 second over is fair enough but would it apply to giving a goal even if the ball was just short of crossing the line by say a 1mm.. far fetched as it may seem a line has to be drawn and that goal on Sunday was out of bounds! You can't imagine this happening in the NFL or NBA can you! Totally different sports I know... anyway point is when City cleared the ball for the final time the Ref should have blown his whistle before it reached Giggs 35 yards out.

phew.. rant over

But if the ball was 1mm away from the line, it wouldn't be a goal, so why would they allow it?

If we're talking about 1 second, Owen was probably midkick at the time that the clock should have officially run out. Maybe we should have refs, just an automated system keeping time, then there could be no complaints.

kpc Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Allegedly in hand. Normal punishment is a life ban

> (not sure how you're meant to enforce it). Bellamy

> was stupid - he had to walk some distance to the

> fan to confront him.

And the fan was being held back by three or four security staff, so it was really brave of Bellamy to give him a slap knowing the fan couldn't retaliate.

red devil Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Leeds v Liverpool, don't think 'pool can field too

> much of a weakened team, Leeds and their fans will

> be up for it...

I think he is likely to put out an unmotivated squad side - so not expecting much tonight. Be better off putting out a young team that are hungry - not a team composed of washed up bums like Dossena, Deggan and Voronin.

As for Bellamy well it works as a nice smokescreen from the fact a Manc has charged onto the pitch and another one has thrown a coin which has floored a City player - this hot on the heels of the Mancs accusing Wenger of being a paedophile. They're a pretty pathetic lot at Old Trafford - more focus should be made as to why twice as many of their fans were arrested at PL away games last season than any other Club (next being Liverpool who also fill their allocation every game).

Bellamy is an easy target but heaven forbid anyone who suggests the real rotten apples in football are wearing the United crest.

Matt - you'll be pleased to hear fan has been charged with "entering the playing area "without lawful authority"". A heinous crime which probably result in a severely slapped wrist. As for behaviour of fans, there's a crappy minority of idiots at every club in the country - not just premiership. Point the finger at any individual club and you'll end up in a pots/kettle/black argument.

Back to football, Leeds quoted at 4/1 to win on SkyBet - seems generous given the nature of the competition. Also, Pompey away at Carlisle - given their current state, who'd be motivated by a 500+ mile round trip.

I think it would be wrong for Bellamy to be punished/castigated for this - he should not have done what he did, but fans who come onto the pitch don't deserve protection. After all it was only a push/slap.

Having said that if you have a bad boy image already then you should avoid trouble.

The fan should be thankful he'd didn't do it in the West Midlands as I believe there it would be a six month prison sentence or at least that is what happened few years ago when a Brum fan encroached into the six yard box and laughed in face of Villa goalkeeper after a howler (think it was the goal from the throw-in which went through his legs)!

Matt, you are off again! Do you see any other clubs in the league or is there only United and Liverpool. The fan who threw a coin is an idiot, as is any fan who throws objects at players. The fan who came onto the pitch is an idiot too. I have friends who go to games home and away and wouldn't ever consider doing anything of the sort. United will punish them just as they will be punished by the police if it is appropriate.

Why don't you try to get through every other post with out slagging off United? ;-)

Didn't a Liverpool fan throw a slab at a waiter in Bulgaria and then leave a fellow 'scousenationer' in jail for it?

Matt your and the 3 year old Arsenal fan's anti-UTD diatrabe on here is forcing many a non-utd fan on here into sticking up for them, not a comfortable place to be,,,seriously can't you give it a rest?

We get the message you and Atila don't like them, sadly for you both, although slightly less so for Atilla, they have proven a better football team than Liverpool and Arsenal for several years now.