Moxtons fishmongers

george74

Fox, I think the difference is between a scallop and an oyster. Eating raw oysters from shells might make you ill from a virus but on the whole I think its worth the risk (and Moxon's oysters in particular, like the rest of their shellfish, come from very pure seawater and have never made me ill). but not all of a scallop is edible and the inedible parts are potentially dangerous as they concentrate so called ASP toxins (thoughtfully introduced by humans by dumping waste in the sea) and which might accrue in any seawater and will fluctuate unexpectedly. I don't understand the science but there is a briefing here:

http://www.eden.gov.uk/health/food-safety/whole-king-scallops/ but it might make you not want to eat scallops; which I think would be a great pity. However its made me change my mind about why they should be sold prepared!

This makes eating raw scallops quite a problem as one only wants to do that (trust me, absolutely delicious) if the scallop is alive at the time of preparation.

No one is talking about eating Raw Scallops...

Scallops (like mussels and oysters) are bivalves, which means they have two shells attached by a hinge.

There are three edible parts to a scallop: the creamy-white muscle meat, the orange coral (the roe), and the frilly membrane that encloses the muscle.

Few people realise the membrane can be used in cooking, and some cultures eschew the coral.

http://uktv.co.uk/food/ingredient/aID/579083

DulwichFox

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> BrandNewGuy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > In Brum where I grew up, there isn't even fish

> in it. Simply

> > a large slice of potato (about 1cm thick)

> battered and deep-fried.

>

> Same in Liverpool.

Same in Coventry - a couple of scallops with some scraps (batter shards) - cheaper than a portion of chips

Always found Moxons very friendly and helpful - they have got-in things like smoked sprats when I've asked for them (wonderful at this time of year) but I usually wait until I'm in the shop before deciding what to buy.

Their oily fish (mackerel, herring, sardine) is always a lot fresher looking than Sainsburys (and freshness is crucial in these fish) and is relatively inexpensive too.

tiger ranks Wrote:

> I all ways see the guys from MOXTONS up at

> billingsgate market buying there

> fish so I just laugh when I have a look at the

> prices they charge there

> customers as I know what they purchase it for

> nunhead fish mongers are much more reasonable

Everyone's aware of Billingsgate and Smithfield

And of the price differences, but it's service people are buying at Moxons and Soper

We're better off having these places, or are you sugesting we by-pass them all together and buy direct

On that note, why not buy a fishing boat and catch it all yourself

Keep a few pigs and cows for when the occassion arises, or cook at home and never eat out

I mean , how much does it cost to make a curry or whatev's

Wait - let me get this straight. These guys buy stuff for 'less' wholesale - and then sell it on for 'profit' in their shop???? Mind-blowing stuff.

Sopers is cheaper but - as previously said - but it's in the order of 'some' not some sort of jaw-dropping sum. Given the difference in location what do you expect? Personally, I have my own quibbles with Sopers based on a few visits there, but nothing worth making a song and dance about on here. I have no quibbles with Moxons, except that you pay a bit more; but not 'enough' more to make me want to drive to Sopers or get down to Billingsgate at 4am to save a few quid.

So we have choice; two decent established fishmongers as well as all the other places mentioned; variation in price (if that's your dealbreaker). I'd just try to be happy with that instead of bleating about prawns they don't actually sell.

Instead of Moxon's, Soper's, Sainsbury's or Tesco (or even Wing Tai), why not go and see lovely Fish-Van-Man Jeff on North Cross Road. His fish is always very fresh, keenly priced and he is very personable with it. And no, I'm not having a relationship with him (unless you count the strict vendor-purchaser one). You can pre-order with Jeff too.

On the downside, he is usually only there on a Saturday. I bet he'd have got some scallops for you though.

And he's been doing the North Cross Road market for about 400 years now, so even the EDF-no-surrender-old-guard can't complain about him blowing in.

As an aside, as this is supposed to be an East Dulwich Forum, can we have a rule that nobody living outside SE22 can post, and no businesses or activities outside SE22 can be discussed? There, that's much better already.

Happy new year.

*Bob* to parody the famous line once quoted in parliament by Vince Cable to then PM Gordon Brown;

?The EDF populas has noticed, *Bob*'s remarkable transformation in the past few weeks ? from sarcastic witty one liner merchant to expert fishmonger critic.?

Louisa.

Having attended Moxons on the 31st and had a good chat to the staff it appears that very little fish was coming in from Scotland and Cornwall and most stock was from kent which was limited. Moxons is a brilliant fishmonger with fresh fish caught throughout the UK weather and holidays permitting so sometimes stock does change (unlike Sainsburys). Id also like to add that a couple of times when I've been to new billingsgate to buy fish direct (about 40% cheaper btw) I've bumped into staff from Moxons who've shown me the best suppliers and what to look for. Plus they pop into the local schools to talk about fish and sustainable fishing. Love them !

I'm good with Moxons and I used to use Soper, but happlily changed when Moxon came along

Like *Bob* i've my own view on Soper, which isn't worth discussing on here

I'm equal drive distance from both

My prime motivator is quality, service, then price

My motivator is all those things too Seabag hence why I use a well established local business over one which has other branches in other places before they came to ED post gentrification. But everyone is entitled to buy fish wherever they want, and we all have individual experiences which motivate our decisions on where to buy.

Louisa.

If it matters, I used Moxon's in Clapham when I lived there, so i've been a customer on and off for many years (18 I think)

Not sure what having other branches has to do with anything

But hey, if that gives people the chance to stick it to a business, then it's fair game obvs

Wow Seabag you really are intent on getting my back up today aren't you? Haha

Right, first off I'm not criticising Moxons personally for having more branches, my reasons are stated above (as you damn well know).

The fact you used Moxons "Clapham" branch previously, and now use them in ED (where they set up shop POST- gentrification) sums up the clientele they are obviously aiming for. Sopers don't need to aim at anyone in particular, they've been in Nunhead before during and probably after this gentrification bull and are a local institution that I support for the reasons I stated.

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

> Wow Seabag you really are intent on getting my

> back up today aren't you? Haha

>

> Right, first off I'm not criticising Moxons

> personally for having more branches, my reasons

> are stated above (as you damn well know).

>

> The fact you used Moxons "Clapham" branch

> previously, and now use them in ED (where they set

> up shop POST- gentrification) sums up the

> clientele they are obviously aiming for. Sopers

> don't need to aim at anyone in particular, they've

> been in Nunhead before during and probably after

> this gentrification bull and are a local

> institution that I support for the reasons I

> stated.

>

> Louisa.

Because they moved to ED 'post gentrification' doesn't give me a reason to boycott them.

If Waitrose or M&S foods moved into the area should we then boycott them and stick to the CoOP cos they've been here longer?

I'm sorry but this is London, gentrification happens...

Haters gonna hate

Just get over it and be grateful that there are two local places where one can buy fresh fish.

NewWave, on a forum where so many people bang on about local independents and supporting them, it seems a bit rich when some folk put down the well established indies because they're of working class origin whilst praising recent blow in indies because they're trendy and exciting. Hypocrisy in it's most natural form.

Please take back the "haters gonna hate" comment, teeth grindingly annoying Americanisms do my nut in.

Louisa.

Ah what a stupid but hilarious post, from the usual boring class warrior

Established business are not sacred cows, as some would allude to

Competition is what keeps things fresh, complacency kills business

Keep up with whatever launguage suits, don't kill the messenger

"You'd have to be extremely daft to rely on a fishmonger havng a huge stock of anything on New Year's Eve." - agreed with edcam. Anyone queuing up at a fishmonger's on NYE must surely know that you choose from whatever is left unless you have pre-booked your order in advance.

And what Jeremy said. Who wants to get up at 5am to get to Billingsgate?!