Trendy W.I in East Dulwich?

I like the sound of this - I heard the N1WI on Radio 4 the other day funnily enough and thought it would really work down here and look - you're already on the case. Would love to come along on Tuesday but can't as I have a Flamenco class on Tuesdays. Hoepfully you'll be posting up results of the meeting here so those who can't make it stay in the WI loop?

At the risk of sounding a bit over officious, perhaps we should have a loose agenda for our first meeting on Tuesday? The 'getting to know you' is definitely important, but we should also aim to move the process on a bit.

Perhaps these loose categories could be discussed;

- WI admin - what we need to do (I'm still waiting to hear from the Surrey WI - I'll call tomorrow if I don't receive an email today) Subs, etc

- Publicity - how to get others involved? Website, etc

- Events - what to do (the exciting bit)? How often, when?

- Campaigns

- Fundraising

Those were just off the top of my head. Please feel free to add to them! I know the main reason for meeting is to meet each other and get the ball rolling. But it would be nice to walk away with a rough idea of what we do next...

Hi, there.

You'll hopefully find that Surrey will answer your questions...but would def not rely on email and give them a call asap because they're not great with email. At all.

There are some particular things you have to do at the start if you want to be a 'proper' WI which is have an exploratory meeting, and you might find htat if you get in touch with Surrey ASAP they'll let this count as it. But they'll need to send a rep, which means that they'll need to know your intentions to get someone down there on Tuesday. Or, you can hang off with that and have said exploratory meeting after you've had this first meeting. it'll just mean it takes a wee bit longer...

PM me if you want more advice, and most of all, it sounds ace! Well done, ladies, for being so proactive!

xx

This sounds like it could be fab, unfortunately I'm in the middle of a set of nights on tue otherwise I'd be down to G&B to see you - I'm Jenny really. Apparently a guy I went to college with now teaches pole dancing so I could have a useful contact for activities!!!! Look forward to hearing more x

They do take beginners - it's what I am. It's run by a really lovely woman called Emma over in Greenwich arts centre.

Ritmo Flamenco

Mostly we do basic steps and clapping rhythyms and seem to be putting together a routine of sorts. I highly recommend getting the shoes if you do go - it's a bit of an outlay but a very satisfying noise indeed. It doesn't matter how old you are, what size you are, or whether you have danced before either.

Peckham Perkster - Clare, though everyone calls me Perki, ask mumra...

If thats their campaign for this year then I feel we're slightly late seeing as work has already begun on the Dulwich Community Hospital.

I'm so pleased there are noises about not singing Jersualem. If we're going to be setting up a new group then we should bring the WI kicking and screaming into the 21st century, jam and chutney making aside, obviously.

I wasn't being entirely serious about signing Jerusalem! I think the consensus is that we're generally younger than the average WI member...and we'll have the activities to prove it. There's plenty of other campaigns to get involved in; the N1WI's choice - against the trafficking of women into the UK is certainly something worth supporting. Not sure what the rules are re which charities you can support.

I did get an email back from the Surrey WI - there's someone called Thelma who is in charge of new groups, so hopefully she'll get in touch soon.

Wow - Little did I know my posting would amount to 17 of us meeting up next week - not sure we are going to fit in G&B - anyone is welcome as this is just an ideas stage - the more people the easier it might be to create this. I am 27, but 31 is definitely not old!!!

From an article I read, the usual age is 50-60. I'm 32 so the 'old-lady' of the bunch so far! As far as I'm concerned, there are no age restrictions though..if someone's up for it and 73, it shouldn't be a problem. Likewise, if you're 18. (Although at 18, I had better things to do than sit around with a bunch of 'older' ladies talking about chutneys! Boys and Raves were calling..I'm showing my age now!)

I'm up for this too - so add me to the list for Tuesday please. That is, if you can cope with a real oldie (53 in three weeks time). I'm into various crafts, and gradually getting into cooking. Not so sure about campaigning much though - I need something to relax with after work!

Ruth

I'd also love to join on tuesday, my Auntie Elsie (Chairperson of one of the WI's up North dont you know), would be so proud. However, as much as I love a good chutney, I have other commitments on Tuesday evenings. It would be great to hear how you get on and when you're meeting next though.

bawdy-nan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Well putting aside my initial gasted flabber I

> thought I'd take a little look at what the WI is

> up to these days.

>

> Am absolutely delighted that such enthusiastic

> minds will be hanging up their Cath Kidston

> pinnies and applying their talents to this year's

> WI proposed campaign - "Preventing the Closure of

> Community Hospitals". I'm not convinced the issue

> is as straightforward as "all community hospitals

> should remain open" but maybe that could be the

> starting point for your debate.

>

> Or prehaps you could get cracking on last year's

> campaigns to rev you up a bit -

>

> 2006

> RENEWABLE ENERGY ...

>

Bawdy-Nan - Goodness, you've changed your tune from your previous over-blunt "Get a grip girls!". I'll forgive you this time ;-)

However, I will not be hanging up my Cath Kidston pinnie and I shall continue to shop till I drop, thank you very much (although I no longer spend hours on end tottering in high heels around the shops and advocating this as the best form of exercise to all my girlfriends...)

As for community hospitals, I've been actively involved in the Dulwich Hospital debate and its much, much more complex than keeping community hospitals open or opening new ones (but don't get me started on that). As for renewable energy, good for the WI getting involved in such modern issues. I've worked on Friends of the Earth campaigns, but that doesn't mean that I can't also enjoy cakes and shopping!! :))

my friend charlotte and i are also very keen but neither of us are able to make this coming tue. can you keep us informed as we are really serious about being part of it? we are both keen chutney makers, cake bakers, gardeners and i did dabble in crochet last year. do we qualify? i hope so! thanks so much.

jo

Yes, sorry Ko.

I think the WI is pretty cool these days - active and useful. I too enjoy cooking am thriftastic and crafty to boot, though shopping makes me weep.

It just shivers my feminist timbers somewhat - the celebration of tradional "female" pursuits in a retro floral fashion as well as post-feminist nonsense about pole-dancing being empowering.

Not quite sure what I'd propose instead to replace it, however.

Can't imagine even I'd enjoy scuttling down the "Lane" to a radical reading group.

I'll simply wallow in my own misanthropy, read books and hurrumph.

Will I be famous for getting the most people together from this forum? I think it is as follows, god knows what G&B will think

katiesa - katie

elfy ? lucy

mumra ? lynn

snowboarder ? claire

missd - sandy

kittenheels - emma

jan t

Louisiana

Cupcake

Ko

Peckham perkster

Mrs ed

Specialk

catmummy - Angela

spymum

Bumbalina

seemalil

Ruthmct

clare C

Chuff

= 20

Interested, but can't make it:

chuck & charlotte

serif

jo

I would quite like to come and find out what its all about to please. If there is room for another.

Perhaps you should warn them we are coming. In fact by the response you have had maybe there are a lot of people you should warn.

Its a great idea well done.