One hour free parking in the area...

easytiger

StraferJack I personally believe it is common decency that a person shouldn't park outside someone's house - regardless of how desperate they are for the space. I drive almost everywhere, with the exception of around here because it is primarily residential and I walk so as not to inconvenience people. I've been at the wrong end of a selfish space stealer outside my own place many a time and I wouldn't want to do the same to someone else. A space is outside your house for good reason, it is technically your space (regardless of it being on a public road), and it should be public convention that this space is only occupied by the people (persons) who occupy the property in front of it.

Louisa.

it is NOt technically anything otherthan public highway

as for "house" you do know that a lot pf houses are many multiple occupied right? So which one of the occupiers has dibs?

And you go driving off to some friend around London or elsewhere in the country where do you park then?

I totally and fundamentally disagree. Just because it is on a public highway does not entitle everyone and their dog to hunt out spaces in residential areas. If there was common sense and decency involved we wouldn't need to go down the cash cow CPZ route for the councils, and people would abide by this convention as a matter of default. If the property is multi-occupancy or similar then the space(s) are indeed a free for all for people within that property and NO ONE ELSE. When I travel to see friends I usually park in a public car park or I park on a friends drive (if they have one).

Louisa.

you have no ground (legal or otherwise) to claim anything you just wrote (@ Louisa)

But let's go back to our multi occupancy example - if you get to your space and it's taken "BY SOMEONE ELSE IN THE SAME PROPERTY" what do you do (remember there are several others in same boat on same street probably at same time)

Where do they park?

Nearest available space?

They have to go to a public car park?

SJ I would suggest that a person struggling for a space because the one taken space outside their home is occupied by another person residing in the same property, then this individual should either park as close to this space as is possible, or outside a building which is not for residential use. I give a good example, on my road there is a row of commercial properties just along from me and also a church, these spaces would fall into this zone of free for all.

Jeremy I am being deadly serious, it is throughly disrespful to a person who's just popped to Sainsburys to get the weekly shop (as an example) to come home and be forced to park streets away and unable to off-load their shopping because a non-resident has stolen their space to pick the kids up from school, or to visit a friend, or because they need to pop to the shop around the corner. It's unacceptable.

Louisa.

Grace that is absolutely not what Louisa was talking about. If you read her last post she is objecting to anyone parking even for a very short time (she says to pop to a shop or pick their kids up from school!)outside her house in 'her' special part of the public highway.

You couldn't make it up! But then again it is entirely in keeping with Louisa's trolling persona.

In reality she's probably a bored teenager posting from her bedroom though, so doesn't have a car or her own bit of street, so we should all stop worrying too much.

There are some nutters out there though that actually try to 'save' 'their' parking space with a bin when they go out in their car! Talk about ignorant.

I agree - but there's a world of difference between needing to use space for placing a skip for building/clearance works and putting a bin out to save 'your' space for parking a car! The former is occasionally (reasonably) necessary. The latter is just plain ignorant and selfish. It could also get you a fine/penalty notice depending on where you are and who sees it.

As someone who works in ED and lives in woodvale, I try to be mindful of where I park, when coming to work. I do walk to work, however in the winter months, I will drive, and I do work until 9pm on a couple of evenings a week so I will drive to work. The world would be a perfect place, if we could park outside our own homes, however that is no longer an option, unless you have off street parking. We as ED need to realise while we believe we do live in this great place, and those who want too live in this great place, there are compromises, which is parking. Parking outside your own home is now a luxury. Restricted parking will not make any difference, in my opinion. I believe they are trying to introduce restricted parking, because very shortly ED picture house will be opening, which will impact parking, moreso at the weekends.

Friends in LL area cannot use their car for fear of not being able to find a parking space on return. I think one hour limit would benefit local business, if people park all day there is no space for visitors to the shops. A CPZ would benefit local residents, only snag is if your friends visit in the car from outside the area. Could there be a priority of one permit per household?

Just realised they are proposing to turn the four spaces outside the Thomas more church from unlimited to one hour. We live beside the church and this is the only place we and our neighbours can park. Shops opposite are not ones you drive to. All local trade or from bus stop. Maddening. Especially annoying as we have had nothing through the door about this. If this goes through it will be even more of a nightmare than it is already . Pointless

James Barber was adamant that this development would not affect parking. I'd be interested to hear from councillors from all parties why we are being bombarded with all these new parking restrictions. The same for the yellow lines down much of North Cross Rd, allegedly there for the market stall holders, yet the market operates for only two days a week.

I wanted to ask again, why, when only quite recently we were assured that The Picturehouse, the new proposed M&S and tbe new Harris School Development, would have no impact on parking because, and the following rationale appears in every planning application, the public will cycle , walk or use public transport. Why then is it that "coincidentally" there are a welter of new parking restrictions suddenly touted for the surrounding area?

Could councillors please make the effort and explain?

Proposals to introduce restricted parking on and around Lordship Lane where there has been none?

Proposals to put large swathes of yellow lines either side of dropped kerbs?

The introduction of yellow lines on Northcross Road when the market only runs for two days?

Proposals,at great expense, to prettify the junction of NX Rd and make it a "safer" junction by building the path out thus reducing traffic flow.

Thus piecemeal approach is CPZ by stealth and councillors are not being honest with the public. The same applies to emerging issues to do with 20 mph speed limits and the Townley Rd junction fiasco. We need proper consultation, transparency and accountability.

I suspect, first mate, that you are seeing conspiracy where there is only cock-up - the apparatchiks responsible for the cyclists at all costs policies which drove the no right turn fiasco - the yellow lines around dropped kerbs, the 20mpg limit, probably the re-design of North Cross Road may be all in a highways department, but probably different bits of it. Certainly there is a general anti-car bias amongst many of the political parties, certainly many would like to be able to squeeze revenue where they can, but I suspect that the way the council is actually run is not nearly as joined-up as you suggest here. At best we have a common disregard of the needs or wishes of the electorate (so no changes there)- but we are probably at the 'banality of evil' end of the spectrum rather than a thought-through conspiracy to achieve a particular end.

My point is not one of grand conspiracy, but I do feel it suits various agendas to somehow fail to grasp the bigger picture. I would be interested to hear what councillors have to say about the likely sum impact of the various schemes?

James Barber has been on the forum this morning but is not commenting. For instance, He certainly gave the impression that the Picturehouse would not impact parking.

I would remind posters that Mr Barber is one councillor amongst many, and is not in the ruling party in Southwark. His answers may be personally interesting but will hardly be definitive. His interest in such council minutiae one would expect to evaporate should he be successful in a wider constituency. Whatever he says won't be game changing in a context outside the ward he represents - some of the issues raised (i.e. speed limits) are much wider than the ED ward anyway. He is aware that, when questioned, his constituents have voted against CPZs. I am sure that if he is aware of manipulation to change the game he will wish to resist it, going, as it does, against the wishes of a significant majority of electors polled at the time (only 18 months - 2 years or so ago, so hardly ancient history!).