One hour free parking in the area...

easytiger

Eitherway, Southwark Council is proposing to remove some unrestricted parking space and replace them with 1 hour time limited parking.

I have formally objected to this - I hope others do as well.

Fig you're against controlled parking I would suggested what proposed is the thin edge of a wedge.

I think it is CPZ by stealth. The Council appear to be very slowly eroding parking space to get to a tipping point where pressure on residents is so loaded that they begin to ask for CPZ in the mistaken belief that it will solve their parking problem. As P68 says, it won't. This is about revenue gathering, nothing more.

Just out of curiosity- why is everyone against CPZ?

Being a resident off lordship lane, it's impossible to park and when you have a hungry 3 year old and a crying 3 month old in the car, driving around for 30 mins and still can't park anywhere near your house, it's a little frustrating. Surely, 2 hours from 12-2pm like herne hill would help all so commuters don't park their cars all day hogging the space! It's not going to make that much difference to shops for 2 hours!!!!

Surely, 2 hours from 12-2pm like herne hill would help all so commuters don't park their cars all day hogging the space! It's not going to make that much difference to shops for 2 hours!!!!

I am afraid there is little evidence that local parking problems are caused by commuters (other than those commuting to actually work in and around Lordship Lane, like teachers in local schools - and you might find, with two children of your own, that those come in use eventually). The roads immediately around ED station (which commuters parking around LL would use) are normally less parked-up in the day than at evenings and weekends - suggesting it is residents that are parking there, not commuters. Stopping people who work locally parking locally will not have a long-term benefit to the area. Thinking that a CPZ will 'give' you a space outside your house is just wishful thinking in our situation. Unless the roads around your house are empty after 6:00? (which is not my experience locally).

And if it is the people who work in the shops that also park around you - then, yes, it will make a difference to them.

cb10 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just out of curiosity- why is everyone against

> CPZ?

Learning how much current on-street parking would be lost by the imposition of the proposed CPZ due to tidying up of parking lines, limiting parking by junctions etc - would have put significantly more parking stress on the affected streets. The statement was made that the parking spaces lost were expected to be offset by those who could no longer park in the area - so basically parking pressure appeared to be at risk of staying much the same - just with everyone paying for the privilege.

Hi The ArtfulDogger,

If anyone is for or against unrestricted parking being converted to 1 hour only no return then please RESPOND to the consultation.

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200140/parking_projects/3654/one_hour_free_parking_in_local_shopping_parades

I have formally objected to the removal of any unrestricted parking in East Dulwich ward.

Hi Siduhe,

The proposed CPZ around ED station was more spaces for parking. That aspect of relining was implimented and more spaces for parking was the actual result. These new parking restrictions will reduce that unrestricted parking.

James Barber Wrote:

> Hi Siduhe,

> The proposed CPZ around ED station was more spaces

> for parking. That aspect of relining was

> implimented and more spaces for parking was the

> actual result. These new parking restrictions will

> reduce that unrestricted parking.

James, that's interesting - although I have to say my recollection of the original CPZ proposal is rather different (what was done with relining in practice may well have led to an increase in parking spaces). The CPZ docs are no longer on the Southwark website, but some of my and others posts about the loss of parking spaces are still on this site:

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,772215,776257#msg-776257

All of the information in the proposal suggested there would be some loss of parking spaces by the introduction of a CPZ - just not how many would be lost. What I (and others) were querying was how much parking would be lost and whether this really justified the CPZ proposal. That's the main reason I felt the CPZ proposal didn't make sense.

I agree with you that further loss of unrestricted parking with this proposal is unhelpful and should be rejected.

worldwiser Wrote:

> This only incentivises people bringing their cars

> into the area from outside at a time when it's

> practically at breaking point. It took me 20m to

> find a space within 6 streets of my house today -

> we need a CPZ as soon as humanly possible. Just a

> one hour restriction in the middle of the day is

> required, nothing more. It works absolutely

> everywhere else in London and I don't believe the

> circumstances of ED are so utterly unique so as to

> buck that fact.

I agree and can't see how it would benefit business's in Lordship lane as it would be even harder to find a space to run in and purchase something like a gallon of paint and a pair of steps. No they would not fit on my bike sir!

The tipping is beginning. If the council can just create a few more pressures on local parking their work will be done. Just a few more dropped kerbs, a few more double yellows,a bit more restricted parking imposed for no apparent reason, a bit more development/housing creating pressure for more parking and bingo...CPZ, and the council can get to work pulling in the dosh.

Penguin68 - I live on Crawthew Grove and there is no doubt that the parking on the street is made worse by commuters. Saturday morning aside (peak LL shopping, NCR market time) it is easy to park on the street and outside the house on weekends. It is impossible to park during the week till about 7pm-ish when it starts to clear. I am sure that is down to station users not local teachers or office workers who would have gone home by then.

I would certainly support the 2 hour restriction during the week. I don't think we need to go to full resident permits like the rest of London but the limited restriction is surely happy middle ground.

SteveUK1978,

It does sound though as you do actually manage to park? On my street some days I can park close to my home, other days I might have to park a street or two away. Yes, it is a pain but I do always manage to park, even if that invovles a wait, sometimes up to half an hour. I'd far rather this than restrictions which really will be the thin end of the wedge.

Similar story to you First Mate - we have to collect our son from daycare and park in the evening. Very rarely park anywhere near the house and that can be quite stressful when you have an increasingly angry little passenger. Never had to drive around for half an hour I must admit though. I would be seriously hacked off if that was a regular occurrence.

If there was a restriction for a period of time in the day for which residents were exempt I don't see how that would cause a major headache? Would stop those using the streets for commuting. Residents only parking all day could be argued as damaging for shops on LL - agree with that, so why not a middle ground?

Other option is pay and display for non-resident pass holders (they do this in Clapham) for the time you want to park.

In France, in those areas where there are parking restrictions, these are often lifted for the hours 12:00-2:00 (lunch time) - how typical that Brits want to impose parking restrictions at lunch. Says it all, really. And, Louisa, I suspect you may wish to comment on the suggestion that Clapham parking restrictions should blow in here?

(Other option is pay and display for non-resident pass holders (they do this in Clapham) for the time you want to park.) [My emphasis].

Let's make it 2-3pm for the restriction then...or is that going to cause a problem for you Penguin as your experience in Spain means that it will interfere with the siesta time?

For Clapham, substitute the words "almost any London borough" if that helps keep the debate away from the inevitable.

Aside from Saturday's Lordship Lane is simply NOT busy enough to justify Clapham style parking restrictions. Absolutely absurd idea. Any form of restriction will prove to be damaging to local business already struggling mid-week to attract large enough custom bases when you consider how far away from linked transport hubs our area is.

Louisa.

I agree that the shops and businesses on LL should be protected. If the status quo means they are struggling, why not implement a change that may encourage more people to access LL during the week?

For the streets around LL, you can only park for 4 hours. You can park for free but have to display a ticket on your windscreen which says when you got there. 4 hours is more than long enough for shoppers / lunchers and would stop those using the streets for parking and commuting.

Residents exempt with permit at nominal charge.

Just an idea.

It's also proposed for Dulwich Village where there is unrestricted parking in front of the shops opposite Dulwich Hamlet Junior School. This would reduce the spaces available from about eighteen to eleven if it was introduced and restrict parking to one hour. This will inevitably lead to pressure on surrounding roads for controlled parking. What is in the Village at the moment is not perfect but it does work very well particularly during the school holidays. I understand that the introduction of these measures was included in the control freaks manual (sorry manifesto) at the last council elections. We must be one of the closest places left to central London where people can park for free and without fear of getting a ticket. That has a value of it's own which is much appreciated by elderly and disabled drivers of which there are many both locally and visiting the area. Lordship Lane and the Village benefit hugely from the freedom we enjoy over parking please object to these proposals in the strongest possible terms.

Another day driving around for half an hour trying to park with two hungry children - parked 5 streets away!

I'd like to park outside my office in London but I have to use trains, buses and walk - what's wrong with people who work here doing the same? We have good transport links here.

I'm going to start having to struggle on the bus with a small baby if parking continues to be this difficult! How is that fair to live here but not be able to park but people working here can park all day?

Surely, some mixed type of parking would help all?

But as with some of these proposals, even a CPZ-lite would reduce the area's overall parking capacity, because of the need to clearly mark out bays, yellow lines etc ? that was certainly the case with the defeated CPZ plans. Add to that the fact that the council will happily flog far more permits than there are available spaces and you'll end up where you are now but paying for the privilege.

"How is that fair to live here but not be able to park but people working here can park all day?"

the roads are public and whoever gets there first gets to park - it's totally fair

When you buy a house on a back st in East Dulwich you have zero right to the road space outside your house

I've said it before many a time but the street is a finite space - imagine if half the houses on your road became 3 seperate flats each, all with families. And they all have cars. Now who gets to park where?