Dulwich Medical Centre

willwaters

yeknomyeknom Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> DMC CP keep sending me letters saying I am

> endangering my child by not immunising him and to

> contact them immediately. He is fully immunised.

> They clearly do not keep their records up to date.

> I have contacted them re this. But the letters

> keep coming.

Ask them for a printout of your child's imms info & check against your child's imms record book, ask to speak to the practice manager if info is incorrect to get it sorted. That is what I would do. If you are refusing any of the imms on behalf of your child let them know & make sure they record it on the computer that you don't want any more imms invite letters.

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies if this has been addressed before, but I can't find reference. On the Patient Access website, from my experience, there appear to be 7 types of appointment listed:

General Appointments are never available at any time

Extended Hours Appointments are seemingly after 6.30pm, 10 or more days ahead. Ok.

But Late Night Appointments are also after 6.30, just like Extended Hours, so what's the difference?

Routine Appointments are all throughout the day, 10 or more days ahead.

'To Be Booked by Duty Doctor' Appointments seem (on the contrary) to be bookable by the public

'On the Day' Appointments are only available in exactly two weeks' time

'Unplanned Admission' Appointments can indeed be planned for 7 or 14 days ahead

This is the most confusing array of appointment types! Can anyone shed light on exactly how each category works?

No. But, as someone who booked an appointment for a prescriptions MOT a month in advance, the DMC / Chadwick Road personnel were IMMENSELY helpful and IMMENSELY accommodating in every way. Daniellia (note the spelling) Scott is a very good point d'appui.

• 4 weeks later...

I went down to DMC Crystal Palace Rd this morning so that I was there in time for 8am in order to try to get a same day appointment. This has been the only way to get one in my past experience. Things seem to have changed for the worse (if that is even possible!) Now there are NO same day appointments until you have been called back by a duty doctor for triage. The doctor will then decide if you can have an appointment and that appointment may have to be at the Lister Clinic in Peckham. The receptionist has to spend a lot of time interviewing everyone lining up, requiring them to give very personal information in earshot of others JUST in order to be able to have a telephone appointment with the duty doctor in order to do the same thing again. In my case I was told that the urgent service was only for sick babies, children etc and she would see if she could get me seen at the Lister Clinic. She scribbled down my details and said she would call me back. At midday I am still waiting.

Is there more than one doctor actually at DMC? I only ever see the same kindly one wandering around. I have rarely seen the sae doctor twice and usually it is a locum. Why am I a patient at DMC if I have to end up going to the Lister in Peckham ......if I am lucky? I don't understand. The system of being vetted by the receptionist and then again by the duty doctor is so inefficient. I despair.

I asked a while ago on this thread if anyone could recommend another practice in East Dulwich but didn't get any suggestions. I don't ask for much - just one that actually gives out appointments.

its probably best to call at 8am - the receptionist will ask the same questions but at least you don't have to give the information in front of others.

I guess turning up at 8am was a way of guaranteeing an appointment when those calling up were being refused appointments as they were all gone.

Everyone (personal visitors and telephone callers) are now subject to the same triage procedure before securing an appt.

If urgent appts really are only for babiea and young children what on earth happens to the elderly, disabled and chronically ill? Or is the expectation that they all get on bikes and set off for the Lister? If true it is alarming that only one sector of our demographic is being catered for, yet most have paid NI etc..

I agree. To be fair to the receptionist those were probably just the egs that came to her when she was talking to me (most people waiting were trying to get appointments for their children) and that (I hope) the elderly and chronically ill would also fall into the priority category. However, I still don't understand the relationship with the Lister and whether the use of it is just for exceptional times when they are understaffed or is permanent. I was just so glad to be offered a cancelled appointment that I didn't bother to pursue it.

I still think the system is a mess: the process for getting an appointment is anxiety provoking for patients and must be pretty dreadful for the moral of the staff on reception at DMC. I would hate to do that job.

drewd Wrote:

> Monkey. Thank you for the recommendation!

> Unfortunately I just checked my postcode on their

> website and am outside their catchment area. I am

> at the far end of SE22 on the way to Forest Hill.

I live down that end and registered with 306 Medical Centre. Can't complain about them really and will try and squeeze you in for an emergency appointment, although best to ring at 8am.

My family and I have been with the Forest Hill Road Gp Practice (1 Forest Hill Road) for 28 years or so. Overall we have found this good, with some, but not major problems; it is has always been possible to see or talk to a practitioner in an appropriate time scale when actually ill. Routine appointments with a named doctor can only be for some time ahead, normally. They are generally good about telephone consultations when these are suitable (e.g. to discuss test results). I have had some issues about their on-line prescription booking service (which has not delivered on at least one occasion) but problems have generally been remedied with good grace. There have been numbers of problems with their service which purports to send prescriptions to particular pharmacies, I don't use these now. Despite some problems (over, as I say, 28 years) I would still recommend this surgery/ practice. However, I know some posters on this site would not agree.

• 1 month later...
Hi, has anyone managed to get a same day appointment at the DMC recently? I was told by the receptionist on the phone to get there at 8am tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone knew realistically how early I need to be there. Thanks in advance for any advice. Carol

They don't do same day appts unless the Dr - usually a locum decides you need one by performing a "triage" via telephone first - to get your regular Dr means waiting for up to 6 weeks usually. This GP has been utterly ruined and it is a bloody disgrace.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry to revive this post over the same issues. This morning over 60 mins waiting to talk to someone only to get through to a really rude and unhelpful receptionist. Considering I was trying to get a follow up appt after a trip to a and e with no improvement even after prescribed drugs are finished. The receptionist suggested staying in bed and resting until next available appt on the 11th. I never attempt to even go to the doctor now unless it is serious haven't been for about 2 years and things seem to have got worse. Where is there a decent medical centre. I've had enough of Dulwich medical centre now.

I've had really good service from them lately, been a punter since the early days when they started opposite the Uplands.

The 'phone triage I agree can be frustrating but I've found the receptionists I've spoken to have been reasonable and polite and when I've emphasised the urgency of my situation I've been contacted fairly promptly and given sufficient time to discuss my needs and offered a face to face appointment if I wanted one.

I haven't gone through all of the thread, (don't think me apathetic. I just made a NY resolution not to be all that arsed about all that sort of thing).

But on NYE the duty doctor went out of her way to push for an X-Ray appointment at Kings because she had concerns about me. Got there ended up in A&E for a while got a clinicians appointment on Monday and was reassured that all is well.

Today the doctor 'phoned me to see what the consultant had to say. I felt reassured by her following up and well looked-after.

I'm sure some have good reason to be miffed and fair play to 'em, but the DMC should know it works for some of us and while not perfect, I think they're mainly good.

You're absolutely right to identify the excellent provision that is made. I have a friend who has described wonderful, thoughtful and kind treatment and support from the GPs at the practice.

I do worry, though, that, especially for patient groups already "reluctant" to attend with early symptoms the almost impossibility of getting to see a doctor may have dire consequences.

HonaloochieB Wrote:

> I've had really good service from them lately,

> been a punter since the early days when they

> started opposite the Uplands.

>

> The 'phone triage I agree can be frustrating but

> I've found the receptionists I've spoken to have

> been reasonable and polite and when I've

> emphasised the urgency of my situation I've been

> contacted fairly promptly and given sufficient

> time to discuss my needs and offered a face to

> face appointment if I wanted one.

>

> I haven't gone through all of the thread, (don't

> think me apathetic. I just made a NY resolution

> not to be all that arsed about all that sort of

> thing).

>

> But on NYE the duty doctor went out of her way to

> push for an X-Ray appointment at Kings because she

> had concerns about me. Got there ended up in A&E

> for a while got a clinicians appointment on Monday

> and was reassured that all is well.

>

> Today the doctor 'phoned me to see what the

> consultant had to say. I felt reassured by her

> following up and well looked-after.

>

> I'm sure some have good reason to be miffed and

> fair play to 'em, but the DMC should know it works

> for some of us and while not perfect, I think

> they're mainly good.

bawdy-nan Wrote:

> You're absolutely right to identify the excellent

> provision that is made. I have a friend who has

> described wonderful, thoughtful and kind treatment

> and support from the GPs at the practice.

>

> I do worry, though, that, especially for patient

> groups already "reluctant" to attend with early

> symptoms the almost impossibility of getting to

> see a doctor may have dire consequences.

>

This is my concern as well.

I know more than one person who died due to putting up with symptoms until it was too late, and that was in the days when getting an appointment was easy.

I have found the GPs at DMC absolutely great, and I had a recent phone consultation about test/scan results which was excellent and useful, however it seems that actually getting to see a GP in the first place is getting more and more difficult.

But I don't think this issue is confined to this practice.