Dulwich Medical Centre

willwaters

Buggie is correct, but to be seen at the new Lister clinic your GP surgery has to make the appointment for you which requires them to have triaged you by phone to ensure that this is appropriate. There lies the problem if your own surgery had a chaotic access system where they ask everyone to turn up or ring at 8am and then have no availability to even triage anyone who gets through after 8.15am.

The idea is that local surgeries can divert some of their same day demand for acute problems(such as kids with pus coming out of their ears) so that they can reduce their waiting time for pre-booked appointments for more complex problems, those with chronic diseases etc.

Is this online booking system new? Has anyone had any success with it? From the DMC website:

"When demand on the phone lines is very high, usually early mornings, please note that you can pre-book appointments on the Patient Access at https://patient.emisaccess.co.uk Once you have registered and have your log in, you will need to provide the practice with your ID to complete the process. This is the national system where you will soon be able to view your own medical records, send us a secure message and update your personal information.

You can also email to us directly at [email protected] for appointments or any query regarding DMC Crystal Palace Road."

I emailed for an appointment on Wednesday evening and I received a call from DMC on Thursday morning at around 10.30am confirming an appointment time for me so it does look as though the email address is being monitored and acted on.

FYI I was seen on Friday afternoon although it was made clear to me that it was a one off and I couldn't usually expect to be seen so quickly. I also received a call later on the Friday evening from the GP I saw who had been ruminating on my issue and wanted to check a few things with me. I was actually very pleased with the service received, although it is noted in numerous posts above that the quality of care once seen isn't generally an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if I'm repeating something that's already been mentioned. I came across this and thought it might be of interest to some:

"The CQC are inspecting a cohort of GP practices in Southwark during April, so if you have any issues relating to any GP practice please let us know so that we can feed into it before the inspection.

Thanks

Sec-Chan Hoong

Healthwatch Southwark Development Officer

d: 020 7358 7005

t: 020 7358 7020

f: 0845 305 2160 | www.healthwatchsouthwark.co.uk"

A chance to have a say maybe?

I had no idea DMC had introduced this and they have it at Chadwick Road too (my practice)I'm hoping this will make a difference to my access to an appointment!!

Thanks for the info.

Cx

katanita Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is this online booking system new? Has anyone had

> any success with it? From the DMC website:

>

> "When demand on the phone lines is very high,

> usually early mornings, please note that you can

> pre-book appointments on the Patient Access at

> https://patient.emisaccess.co.uk Once you have

> registered and have your log in, you will need to

> provide the practice with your ID to complete the

> process. This is the national system where you

> will soon be able to view your own medical

> records, send us a secure message and update your

> personal information.

>

> You can also email to us directly at

> [email protected] for appointments or any

> query regarding DMC Crystal Palace Road."

I just wanted to report my very positive experience with DMC Chadwick Rd recently.

First, I needed a nurse appt - rang, got one on a convenient date and an ideal time

Two, I needed to book a non-urgent Dr appt ie longstanding condition I needed to discuss progress on, again got appt at great date and time

Third, today, I neededan urgent discussion with Dr. Called at 8, five people ahead of me on phone, once through I asked for phone consultation, Dr called me back at 915 and on basis of call I was in the surgery at 2pm

Hello

I just wanted to ask you resourceful people what to do to get some quick medical attention. I've been sick for nearly a week; all things being equal I would have seen a doctor days ago but I didn't have the energy required for DMC. I will have to have a stab at calling DMC tomorrow but what, if any, other options do I have? Sorry to sound needy but I'm quite worn out now so I don't have the energy to be re-dialling all morning.

Just saying, My first port of call when I'm feeling rough is the pharmacy on Northcross, which has skilled and helpful people. Pharmacist is saying I should be going to the doctor now though.

I didn't read this thread from the beginning but I've got the gist from the last page or so. Just a few points:

I just registered with the Patient Access link to book at appointment online for DMC - it's offering me 8th April. Useless.

I was also recently de-registered from DMC and I only found out when I called to get something.

The first interaction I ever had with DMC was to get a prescription a few years ago. I didn't recognise the pills so when I got home from the pharmacy I googled them and saw that I'd been given penicillin, to which I'm allergic. I phoned DMC and the receptionist (a guy who hasn't worked there for some time), didn't put me on hold properly and I heard him say to a colleague in a bored voice "there's a woman moaning about her prescription".

To put that error into some perspective, the last time I took penicillin I was in a critical condition at Kings for several weeks. When I was finally discharged I had lost all my hair (shock) all my fingernails and toenails (also shock) and a third of my body weight. I was off work for nearly six months and had to take dodgy medication which made me sound like I was pissed most of the time. It was not a good time and I am lucky I lived through it, so not best pleased at DMC.

To be fair to DMC, the prescribing doctor phoned me and was very apologetic that she hadn't made the required checks or read my notes. Also, I think the receptionist received a large boot up the rear. You might think that, as they apologised at the time, it's a poor show to bring it up on a public forum. Perhaps. I accepted the apology but, subsequently, I've always been nervous around the care I've received from DMC. Penicillin is so life-threatening for me that I can't get beyond that incident. I need to find another surgery! Oh dear.

Oops - longer post than I meant to do but I'm bored. Advice needed on where to go for medical help if I can't get into DMC though.

Oh you poor thing!

Completely understand, I've been in that situation myself. Last time I needed to be seen promptly, the best option was the walk in centre in Peckham but apparently this is now closed and the nearest option is New Cross. I haven't had cause to use it yet but the details are here: http://newcrossgpwalkin.co.uk

I hope they can help you. I'm also looking for a new GP as DMC so clearly not fit for purpose.

Wishing you well.

Just forget your British rights to free private healthcare and go private. Get seen immediately by skilled GP's for ?60-?70. They'll write you a prescription on the spot for whatever you need.

DMC is a clown show staffed by poorly trained employees on low salaries and sooner or later they'll have their franchise revoked.

I have to say that on this occasion DMC was pretty dam good. Didn't get allocated an appointment but the doctor called me to triage over the phone and had me in straight away. Have a letter to take to Kings this afternoon. Can't fault them.

Just back from Kings, where I was seen straight away. I was dreading today because I was expecting all sorts of obstacles, but in the event everyone has been kind and professional and I have had quality care. Wasn't expecting that to be the case but I have to give all credit to DMC for getting me sorted out quickly.

I failed to get an on-day appt on Tuesday but did on Wednesday by phoning at 0800. The receptionist remembered me from the day before, had a bit of a laugh with me when she accidentally added ten years to my age and she got me a time that suited me. The doctor was late seeing me - half an hour - but the previous patients were taking a very long time. He was courteous, thorough and explained what he was looking for and what he found. 4/5 to DMC (on this occasion).

Monkey Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So all their staffing problems are magically

> sorted when shit really hits the fan...

> Interesting. Confirms my opinion of the Guptas.

Sorry to be dim, but what in the posts above suggests that any staffing problems have been magically sorted?

Have I missed something?

In general there have never been significant complaints about the medical care actually received at DMC, and individual doctors have been praised; it is the (lack of) an effective appointments and contact system, shortage of appointments and other back and front-office failures which have caused anger and alarm. This is about failure of management and not failures by medical staff.

I was told yesterday that you cannot make an appointment by email despite what their website says and their earlier communication about email appointment booking on the forum. You have to ring. They told me this by email! I totally agree that the management of this centre is appalling.

Yes I've just had a quick look at DMC CPR website & under 'appointment' it clearly doesn't say you book by email. Yet some digging around on the website under 'contact' they briefly mention patient access? Very odd & confusing for patients. DMC Chadwick Rd are cleared about patient access & offer it under 'appointments' as they should.

It still says you can book via email on the front page under "new ways to book appointments", they should take that down if not true! I signed up for the "patient access" system but haven't tried to book an appointment through this yet, has that worked for anyone?