Dulwich Medical Centre

willwaters

I called 11 times this morning then walked down there. No asppointments available until 10 March.

Lister is only available to those who have been spoken to by the duty doctor and then referred. There is no duty doctor on duty today.

So the only option is a walk in in New Cross.

Out of interest I asked when my child had last seen a doctor there. She has apparently not seen a GP there ever. Only had her roputine vaccinataions. She's 8. DMC are gettinga lot of money for doing nothing and being permanently unavailable.

Stop taking on new patients. Recruit some more GPs and nurses. Update the phone system. How hard can it be?

I am sick and tired of DMC,,to get an appointment in there is shocking. I have had blood tests done, doubt if I would know the outcome of them at this rate, the comment above from DMC above is unbelievable that the issue was last week, it's been like that for AGES now. And they think they help by bringing in another pharmacy, no way...... I get angry to see the big poster still on the Drs fence, Advertising for patients. That needs to stop, deal with the patients you have. All this palava is really not fair on the receptions and the Drs, it's putting stress on them.... But for us patients it's a nightmare. We used to know our Drs once upon a time ,now there's drs that come and go.I Only know of one really nice Dr,that it's impossable to get, and one really nice nurse. Take that poster down that's advertising for more patients, that will able you to and deal with the patients you have now...this is an issue that urgently needs to be looked into....

In answer to questions raised on here this morning, we would like to let patients know there is an additional duty GP in the surgery today.

If you have a complaint or concern that you would like to take further we will look into individual cases and find out what went wrong. We will make it possible for you to discuss the problem with those concerned and at the end of our enquiries we will discuss with you in detail, either in person or in writing. Our complaints procedure can be found on the website here http://www.dmccrystalpalaceroad.co.uk/clinics-and-services.aspx?t=5

i think the thing you are missing DMC is that you are well known to be difficult to get hold of, difficult to get appointments, and don't go out of your way to support your patients - e.g. the example above with a nurses appt being cancelled and yet the patient had to go back into the queue for an appt despite having already waited.

i am not going to waste my time making official complaints and typing out all the issues. they are very clear from the numerous threads on here and i bet you know them too.

you have good doctors and good nurses, sort out the admin to support them properly and you will have a surgery to be proud of.

In teresting to note that despite a steady stream of complaints for a number of year this practice has not not inspected by the Quality Care Commission http://www.cqc.org.uk/location/1-565650623/registration-info

A quick google reveals this http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2063458/Family-doctors-firm-raking-1-8m-YEAR--patients-say-surgery-appalling.html

Whatever one's reservations about the Mail, this article has the ring of truth about it. Odd, this is 2011- 4 years on no progress, no intervention from the powers that be, nationally or locally. The system is not working.

Another snippet http://www.dmchealthcare.co.uk/team/helen-greengrass/ giving an insight into the wonderful future of healthcare by super GP's and their workmate- as you see a background in IT and finance is all you need.

I have written to the NHS email address given earlier in this thread. I don't hold out much hope that anything will be done, but you don't know until you try.

This also brings to light the number of places where a complaint could be lodged. The GP practice, with NHS England, The CQC, Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, Healthwatch, the Department of Health itself...it makes it all rather confusing as to whom concers should be directed, and with whom the responsibility for doing something about this lies.

I have a massive concern for my daughter that is also a patient there.she is supposed to be checked every 6 months for life, they know of her situation as she had to have an operation, but they don't make any effort on that, and she herself cannot get an appointment.as a mum I worry about that massively. I have a fear for myself, I've seen and heard of an elderly waiting ages for an appointment, it's digraseful and very worrying.that I have that fear on myself...

I did take the time to register and there are some appointments currently available in 2 weeks. I'm going to check in the morning and see if earlier appointments are made available day by day. My old practice used to update its appointments at midnight. There, you could book for today, in 48hrs, next week or in two weeks. A similar system at DMC would be very welcome. I honestly don't understand why practices are able to decide how they administer this aspect of their work. It should be mandated nationally and not depend on the whim of a local practice.

On another point, missed appointments should be clamped down on massively. Ease of cancellation is certainly one issue and should be improved (online booking would certainly facilitate this) but reminder texts would be make a huge difference too. When this is in place, people who forget, decide not to go or otherwise unnecessarily waste this precious resource should be dealt with firmly.

When this is in place, people who forget, decide not to go or otherwise unnecessarily waste this precious resource should be dealt with firmly.

Give DMC the option of fining patients who miss appointments and Dulwich will be beggarised in a month. Most people (given DMCs appointment system) will be dead or better by the time the appointment arrives. If you're better, a doctor's appointment slips below the radar unless reminded (when it's weeks ahead). When a business (and that's what GP practices are) treats you shabbily you don't much feel like treating them any better. Do, please, remember that DMC is not a charity, it's not even (like a hospital) part of the NHS, it's a private business contracting with a government department to provide services - it's an outsourcer - if they run their business badly (and they do) they should be given no rights or leeway to punish the customer when the customer treats them with the disdain and lack of 'business efficiencies' that they seem so happy to dish out.

Agree with other comments, the service has been appalling for years, not just last week. And the bizarre allocation of appointments to those who wait out in the cold at 7.30am is a joke.

As for the comment about patient no-shows, whilst I agree this is bad form I can't help thinking that a contributing factor is that most appointments have to be booked 3/4 weeks in advance.

I noticed last week there is a banner outside inviting new patent registrations...

I certainly didn't suggest fining. But insisting errant patients only book in person would be one deterrent. Treating the practice badly is not an adult reaction to being treated badly in the first place. That's schoolyard behaviour. And if the figure of 10% lost appointments is to be believed (it's certainly the national average), that would go a long long way to improving the service.

I agree with WW, who said

Treating the practice badly is not an adult reaction to being treated badly in the first place. That's schoolyard behaviour.

If you can't make an appointment, ring or text or go online to tell them. It's your responsibility!

DMC does need improvement on several fronts, but so do some people whose beggar thy neighbour attitude is childish and corrosive.

It's been difficult to get an appt at the DMC for the last 5 years that I have been registered there. The doctors are lovely but clearly are overworked or work to tight timelines etc.. I won't go into all that, but I always feel like I'm been shipped off to Kings for things, things that either I'm used to managing so know what meds are needed (and should be on my records) or that the drs fear making some decisions which are sensible in my mind (I paid to see a private dr a few weeks ago, it was easier and I was lucky to be able to do it, and he said about all the things I request from the DMC and they are reluctant to give me. It could have saved me losing 2/3 of my hair on the most recent occasion!

As a matter of interest, has anyone else noticed that when yiu are there for an appt,there appears to be only 2 or 3 doctors working at a time? There used to be ten or so at my previous practice and the service was impeccable!!

How does the system work at GPS? Do they get ? per patient on their books in a given year for example?

The GP practice will get paid on a capitation basis, and additionally for achieving government targets, such as inoculation levels, health checking older patients etc. GPs may be partners (they get a share of the dosh) or salaried GPs (get paid a wage by the practice owners/ partners). Locums will be salaried. The practice will pay their administrators, receptionists, clerks etc. and practice nurses. Midwives and Community (used to be District) nurses are I think employed directly by the NHS but may work out-of GP practices.

Where a practice (or several practices) are owned by one person (or a company) they make their money out of the difference between what they get from the NHS contract and what they pay-out for staff and premises. The headline figures quoted for GP's earnings (?100k and over) can be much less for salaried and locum GPs - particularly if young.

If you have a large capitation and a (relatively) small wages bill it can be very lucrative to own GP practices.

I'm so sick of DMC. I have been ill (nausea and vomiting) for over a week now but have avoided trying to get an appointment at DMC (mainly because I should see if the symptoms go away naturally). However, I'm at the point now where I should see or speak to a doctor. Tried getting through since 8am but the lines are continuously engaged. So I can't even get through to the subsequent long telephone queue. I definitely don't have the energy to walk down and queue in the cold (which is what I would usually do if I need an app). I have already complained to the NHS email add in James' post.

I could perhaps have added to my post above on GP earnings that another nice little earner is diversification - in DMCs case I believe a well staffed pharmacy - not only can you expect to 'pick-up' all (or at least most) practice prescription sales but pharmacists can also sell OTC medicines and products and pharmacist only medicines - here medical 'advice' can lead directly to a sale - if you reduce the amount of NHS paid-for advice (doctors, nurses) you can boost sales here. You can also offer therapies - again often paid for by the client. A surgery becomes a useful hub on which other, non NHS businesses, can be built. A canny business might even over-prescribe into 'its' pharmacy to generate extra revenue. However, as GP practices do have a 'budget' out of which prescriptions are taken (I believe) you would have to get the modelling right here to make real money, although I am not sure what actual remedies are taken against GP practices that bust their prescription budgets.

No name Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm so sick of DMC. I have been ill (nausea and

> vomiting) for over a week now but have avoided

> trying to get an appointment at DMC (mainly

> because I should see if the symptoms go away

> naturally). However, I'm at the point now where I

> should see or speak to a doctor. Tried getting

> through since 8am but the lines are continuously

> engaged. So I can't even get through to the

> subsequent long telephone queue. I definitely

> don't have the energy to walk down and queue in

> the cold (which is what I would usually do if I

> need an app). I have already complained to the NHS

> email add in James' post.

Wow, after 1hr 25 mins I finally got through only to be told that all appointments including telephone consultations have gone and I should try the walk-in centre. I give up!!

I now live out of London, and at our new practice it's always possible to get an appt on the day or a phone appt, even if you ring at lunchtime because a child is ill at school, they can be seen that evening! Even to see a named doctor, appointments can be booked for within a week or so. There are usually 6-8 GPs in surgery at a time.

This is so radically different to how the model works at DMC! Why?