Dulwich Medical Centre

willwaters

hpsaucey Wrote:

> It would be interesting to know if the other

> practices using this online registration system (I

> noticed the Gardens and Nunhead on there whilst

> searching for DMC) have similar issues!

Forest Hill Road Group Practice use it - I signed up end of last year and didn't have any issues at all. No idea if I was lucky or if the systems there work a bit better for the majority.

bawdy-nan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think the "does not match your records thing"

> when trying to register for online services is

> "normal". It happened to me and I had to go into

> the surgery to fill in a form and they were able

> to register me for online services then. So, a bit

> tedious, but, certainly in may case, it wasn't

> that my details weren't held correctly

But it doesn't make sense that some people (including myself) are able to register online with their records apparently being matched OK, whilst others can't?

When I called the surgery they read and spelled my details back to me and it was all correct. Apparently the only way to 'resolve' this is for me to go into the surgery with photographic ID to then be issued a letter which I then will have to take away and try again....and hope that that actually works!

In order to register for on-line services at Forest Hill Road Group practice I had to bring in a (very simple) paper form with ID - this was 'validated' by the receptionist (i.e. looked at) - I then later received a letter with log-in details - used this and it all went smoothly. Whatever my record was with the surgery (accurate or not) was flagged with a 'turn-on' flag when the log-on was sent out, linked to that log-on. So all I had to input to get access was the log-on already supplied. Simples.

• 2 weeks later...
I have just realised that I have been given someone else's login details for DMC online services. Registered at the surgery, got given printout which I then pinned to the notice board for future ref Have just taken a proper look and the name on the printout isn't mine. Really, quite extraordinary and astonishing.

Hi James, I just tried to see if I could book online but found it rubbish because when you click on appointments it says:

--------------------

Appointmentssteth_pills_diary

We operate an appointments based system. Patients can book on the day or in advance to suit their needs.

From January 2014 we will be operating a Clinical Triage system in advance of offering patients an appointment to ensure you get to see the right clinician and also, where possible, reducing the need to have a face to face consultation.

You can make an appointment by calling us on 020 8693 2727

We suggest that you phone at any time after 8.00am. If you cannot get through immediately please try later in the morning when phones are less busy. With our new systems in place we do hope to be able to give you appointments on the same day without the need of coming in and queuing at the door.

We offer appointment times in early morning from 8.00am and evening until 7.00pm. These slots are primarily for commuters.

Pharmacists and Nurses

You may find that an appointment with one of our Practice Nurses, Prescribing Pharmacists or Health Care Assistants may help you get to the care you need faster.

Keeping your appointment

Please be sure to arrive at least 5 minutes before your appointment time to avoid disappointment. Also, please be aware that, depending on the cases being dealt with, our clinicians may run late. We ask that you bear with us. If you cannot attend an appointment for any reason please inform us as soon as possible in order for us to give the slot to someone else.

To cancel your appointment dial 0208 693 2727 and then press 1. We lose up to 50 appointments per week from patients failing to attend.

-------------------

No where there does it mention booking online so unless someone knows that you can book online you would wait to call at 8am or walk there and queue. Really not fit for purpose and I use websites for everything.

I also agree with the posters above, this is a big business that needs a proper web designer to assess and improve their website. Cutting corners by having a mickey mouse website is not good enough and does not show proper cosideration & care for their patients.

This is the section right in the middle of the home screen:

"Welcome to your surgery website

The surgery at this site has been here for 20 years. DMC Healthcare pride ourselves in working hard to meet the challenging demands of delivering quality modern primary healthcare. We have a great team of Clinicians and Admin staff ready to help you.

[book appointments online] [Order repeat prescription] [Friends & Family Test]

[Cancel your appointment] [My contact details have changed] [update my clinical record]"

If you click on [book appointments online] you are taken to this site. https://patient.emisaccess.co.uk/Account/Login?ReturnUrl=%2f

Which, once you've registered, seems to works, even including the repeat prescription request. ,

I'm aware that not everyone is hugely computer literate but the DMC website isn't that hard to navigate. if one link about appointments on a small left hand menu doesn't work...go back a page and click the other big link in the middle of the home page.

ETA, it?s a bit of a rubbish website but I?d rather they focus on providing good care and appointments than a snazzy website to cater for folk too lazy to read the big wording on the home page. Make complaints for poor service/bad care by all means but I can?t stand it when user error is blamed on someone else.

Also ETA numerous spelling corrections - all my fault.

I am registered at DMC and fully registered with the Patient Access system and log in quite regularly out of curiosity but never, not once, has there been a general appointment available to book. On offer are Extended Hours/Admin/To be booked by duty Dr, with no explanation of what the latter two actually are. H

HelBel65 Wrote:

> I am registered at DMC and fully registered with

> the Patient Access system and log in quite

> regularly out of curiosity but never, not once,

> has there been a general appointment available to

> book.

The first time I tried I got an appointment online the following week with no problem.

I joined DMC over a year ago and only after an appointment at Kings did they inform me DMC had no medical history on me. After contacting my precious GP they said DMC had never requested it via the Health Authority. What's most worrying is that I've seen numerous doctors at DMC and been prescribed medication with them knowing anything of my medical history. I believe the practice is at a dangerous level of management. I'm still chasing (3 months on) and was told by the receptionist today to call the health authority and sort out the transfer of notes myself.

I too have complained today.

Sorry Cedges but it isn't really user error when the link to online appts isn't on the appointments page. If you've been with the practice for a while then you don't usually read all the home page you just look for the heading appropriate for your needs, in my case it was appointments. No I don't want them spending excessive money on peripheral things but skimping on major items also isn't good. It doesn't take much to have the information on the right page. Anyway by 10am all on-line appts had been taken.

Sue Wrote:

> HelBel65 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I am registered at DMC and fully registered

> with

> > the Patient Access system and log in quite

> > regularly out of curiosity but never, not once,

> > has there been a general appointment available

> to

> > book.

>

>

> The first time I tried I got an appointment online

> the following week with no problem.

This is all I ever get.....

Dun Wrote:

> Sorry Cedges but it isn't really user error when

> the link to online appts isn't on the appointments

> page. If you've been with the practice for a while

> then you don't usually read all the home page you

> just look for the heading appropriate for your

> needs, in my case it was appointments. No I don't

> want them spending excessive money on peripheral

> things but skimping on major items also isn't

> good. It doesn't take much to have the

> information on the right page. Anyway by 10am all

> on-line appts had been taken.

The fact that you don't read an updated home page is YOUR fault. Simple as. Why would you go onto an obviously outdated sub page when the section you want is bang in the middle of the main page.

rang DMC for appointment

Me Good morning, I'd like to make an appointment to see a doctor please,

Them Date of Birth please

Me Gave them dob

Them Name please

Me Gave them name

Them computers playing up, bear with me

Them ok what seems to be the trouble

Me I've had an allergic reaction to something, come out in spots, feel dreadful,

Them Whats caused that then,

Me I don't know I as hoping the doctor could tell me

Them Well what were you eating when this happened

Me symptoms occurred this afternoon, it could have been anything I've eaten or touched since then

Them can you pinpoint anything

Me No, look can I have an appointment to see a doctor,

Them Have you any chest pains

Me No but I have all these spots, some swelling around the mouth and I can feel my blood pressure rising

Them really, so you want to see the doctor, well I cant make an appointment now, can you ring back in the morning,

Me No, look I'd really like to see a doctor today,

Them Well sorry, that's not possible, you could perhaps see a nurse,

Me ok then, that would be fine, what time

Them Sorry, the nurse is booked solid, what about a pharmacist,

Me Yes, that's fine

Them O sorry, no appointments there either

Me is the cleaner available

Them You could pop along to Seldoc or A&E if the symptoms get worse

Me Thanks very much perhaps if I stop breathing I'll do just that

Them If that happens you should really call an ambulance

millie7uk.

What it looks like happened to you was called triage. It the system thats been put in place to ensure that those who really need an appointment go to the front of the queue to get one, just like in an A&E. It looks as though you were not assessed as being in dire need. From what you say, it doesn't sound like you were. Had you been presenting with symptoms of anaphylaxis shock, its likely that your need would have been assessed as more urgent. It would probably have been a good idea for the receptionist to check if there were nurse and pharmacist appointments available before offering one to you you but it sounds to me like they were trying to accommodate your demands. I don't doubt you were uncomfortable but discomfort and actual need are different things. Just because an urgent need appointment wasn't created for you does not mean that the surgery did anything wrong.

Did you visit the lloyds pharmacy on North Cross Road near the surgery? A pharmacist there could have talked with you and suggested any treatments (I'd imagine anti-histamines) to help you in the short term. Thats what pharmacists are there for. A future doctor?s appointment could have been made to assist you in discovering what caused the reaction. A call to the 111 NHS Direct service would have likely provided you with the same advice. (http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/Emergencyandurgentcareservices/Pages/NHS-111.aspx ).

There are a whole number of NHS services available for non urgent medical care designed to leave doctors with sufficient time to deal with those with genuine urgent problems. The fact that they are trying to implement them nationwide is not a cause for complaint. From the NHS website:

-------

NHS services explained:

This section provides an overview of the most common services provided by the NHS in England, such as emergency and urgent care, general practitioners (GPs) or dental services. Explore each service and find out what you should expect from the NHS, how to access particular services, and the costs involved (if any).

Choosing which service is right for you at a given time may not always be easy ? often you have more than one option. Use the checklist below to guide you if you're not sure where to start.

For information about conditions and treatments, read the Health A-Z guides.

Call NHS 111 if you urgently need medical help or advice but it's not a life-threatening situation. You can also call NHS 111 if you're not sure which NHS service you need.

Call 999 if someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk.

Visit a walk-in centre, minor injuries unit or urgent care centre if you have a minor illness or injury (cuts, sprains or rashes) and it can't wait until your GP surgery is open. [Or call SELDOC in this area]

Ask your local pharmacist for advice ? your pharmacist can give you advice for many common minor illnesses, such as diarrhoea, minor infections, headache, travel advice or sore throats.

Make an appointment with your GP if you are feeling unwell and it is not an emergency.

----------

And no, I have no connection whatsoever with the surgery, pharmacy, NHS or medical training. I?m just realistic, sensible and read the advice presented to me with a level head and rational mind. I also don?t expect the NHS to jump to my every whim and as a result, I?ve never been left seriously ill or without appropriate decent medical care or attention. And yes, I do have a chronic illness requiring care.

But seeing a GP is not about urgent care - that is what A&E/111 is for. GP services should be about looking after the welfare of their patients when care is needed not waiting until it becomes urgent.

Triage should be about getting the most appropriate help - this patient was perfectly happy to see anyone in the practice who had medical knowledge and could reassure her about worrying symptoms. Instead triage was used to fob her off and re-direct her to SELDOC or A&E if she felt she needed to be seen. It's why more and more people are showing at these services, because they can't get any basic medical reassurance from their local Dr.

'Make an appointment with your GP if you are feeling unwell and it is not an emergency' - it's in your copy and paste cedges as the right action for Millie to take but she couldn't get an appointment with anyone.

Cora Wrote:

> 'Make an appointment with your GP if you are

> feeling unwell and it is not an emergency' - it's

> in your copy and paste cedges as the right action

> for Millie to take but she couldn't get an

> appointment with anyone.

You are quite right - what it doesn't say is kick up a massive fuss if that appointment is not the same day that you request it. A GP appointment would have been offered as soon as one was available, but millie wanted an appointment there and then. My speil also says that requesting a follow up GP appointment to check out the allergy cause would have been perfectly appropriate.

Cedges Wrote:

> Cora Wrote:

> -----

>

> > 'Make an appointment with your GP if you are

> > feeling unwell and it is not an emergency' -

> it's

> > in your copy and paste cedges as the right

> action

> > for Millie to take but she couldn't get an

> > appointment with anyone.

>

>

> You are quite right - what it doesn't say is kick

> up a massive fuss if that appointment is not the

> same day that you request it. A GP appointment

> would have been offered as soon as one was

> available, but millie wanted an appointment there

> and then. My speil also says that requesting a

> follow up GP appointment to check out the allergy

> cause would have been perfectly appropriate.

Why should you have to kick up a massive fuss to be seen? This means that those too ill to kick up a fuss or too polite don't get seen and those persistent enough do?

I wonder if asking for a follow up appointment would have resulted in a ring back tomorrow morning for an appointment, followed tomorrow by a sorry all appointments full script.

HP

> You are quite right - what it doesn't say is kick

> up a massive fuss if that appointment is not the

> same day that you request it. A GP appointment

> would have been offered as soon as one was

> available, but millie wanted an appointment there

> and then. My speil also says that requesting a

> follow up GP appointment to check out the allergy

> cause would have been perfectly appropriate.

Cedges, that would be all very well if the appointment system worked but it doesn't. As a patient, you phone up for an on the day appointment as you yourself feel very unwell. Let's say it's not urgent, urgent but you are still very unwell. You are triaged and assessed as not needing an on the day appointment, fair enough. But then you're told that there are no bookable appointments for 2 weeks (if you're lucky) so to phone back in the morning. Well, if my symptoms were triaged today as non urgent, it won't be triaged any differently by tomorrow! Waiting two weeks is far, far too long, going to A&E is ridiculous as they are already massively under strain from increased patient numbers and as too is SELDOC.

Having been a patient at other London GP's over the past years and never encountered problems to this degree, surely it says something about the way it is being run? Surely, the number of unhappy patients and complaints being made to NHS England demonstrates that this surgery is failing in its care of patients?

hpsaucey Wrote:

> Why should you have to kick up a massive fuss to

> be seen? This means that those too ill to kick up

> a fuss or too polite don't get seen and those

> persistent enough do?

>

> I wonder if asking for a follow up appointment

> would have resulted in a ring back tomorrow

> morning for an appointment, followed tomorrow by a

> sorry all appointments full script.

>

> HP

If you've got an actual urgent need to see a GP - you get triaged and you get seen. I know this from experience. I had a genuine urgent issue and I was seen. No fuss required. The only people making a fuss are those who think they are the be all and end all of deserving and demand urgent appointments for non-urgent medical matters. You can wait 2 weeks for an allergy test referral. Whats the problem? Ok, its not ideal, it'd be lovely to be seen for every mild ailment within 48 hours but that?s just not realistic in this day and age. Go to the pharmacy, get some cream, make the 2 week ahead appointment. If the symptoms get worse, you phone back, get triaged again and if you need to be seen, you?ll get seen.

SebsC Wrote:

> Cedges, that would be all very well if the

> appointment system worked but it doesn't. As a

> patient, you phone up for an on the day

> appointment as you yourself feel very unwell.

> Let's say it's not urgent, urgent but you are

> still very unwell. You are triaged and assessed as

> not needing an on the day appointment, fair

> enough. But then you're told that there are no

> bookable appointments for 2 weeks (if you're

> lucky) so to phone back in the morning. Well, if

> my symptoms were triaged today as non urgent, it

> won't be triaged any differently by tomorrow!

> Waiting two weeks is far, far too long, going to

> A&E is ridiculous as they are already massively

> under strain from increased patient numbers and as

> too is SELDOC.

>

> Having been a patient at other London GP's over

> the past years and never encountered problems to

> this degree, surely it says something about the

> way it is being run? Surely, the number of unhappy

> patients and complaints being made to NHS England

> demonstrates that this surgery is failing in its

> care of patients?

If your symptoms have changed then yes, you would be triaged differently. Why would you go to A&E before going to a pharmacy or calling NHS Direct? Its idiots that do this that means that A&E's are at breaking point too.

The number of unhappy people and complaints being made is a reflection on demanding patients not taking into consideration the larger picture and being incredibly selfish. There will be some genuine and correct complaints but I?m yet to see an example of one on this thread.

I?d love to have private healthcare or 24/7 access to immediate NHS GP appointments but as it is, I?m bloody grateful for the numerous care options available to me, totally free of charge. And I?m a bloody picky and awkward customer.

Cedges Wrote:

> hpsaucey Wrote:

> -----

>

> > Why should you have to kick up a massive fuss

> to

> > be seen? This means that those too ill to kick

> up

> > a fuss or too polite don't get seen and those

> > persistent enough do?

> >

> > I wonder if asking for a follow up appointment

> > would have resulted in a ring back tomorrow

> > morning for an appointment, followed tomorrow by

> a

> > sorry all appointments full script.

> >

> > HP

>

> If you've got an actual urgent need to see a GP -

> you get triaged and you get seen. I know this from

> experience. I had a genuine urgent issue and I was

> seen. No fuss required. The only people making a

> fuss are those who think they are the be all and

> end all of deserving and demand urgent

> appointments for non-urgent medical matters. You

> can wait 2 weeks for an allergy test referral.

> Whats the problem? Ok, its not ideal, it'd be

> lovely to be seen for every mild ailment within 48

> hours but that?s just not realistic in this day

> and age. Go to the pharmacy, get some cream, make

> the 2 week ahead appointment. If the symptoms get

> worse, you phone back, get triaged again and if

> you need to be seen, you?ll get seen.

But unless Millie is leaving off the end of the conversation she(?) wasn't offered any other suggestion - i.e. go to pharmacy/ ring tomorrow and we'll look at the week ahead etc. etc. Any concrete date or anywhere else to go. Anything which would be perfectly reasonable. Urgent gets seen - of course. But non-urgent probably still needs a GP at some point... maybe tomorrow.. maybe in a week. But not never, never. Or should people just 'live' with symptoms without a proper diagnosis or wait for whatever it is they have to get 'worse'? Believe me I love the NHS and have had reason to be extremely thankful for it on many, many occasions,including lovely staff at DMC, and I am NOT a moaner but giving people no timeframe in which they might be reasonably expected to be wait and be seen is not reasonable or acceptable IMO.

HP