Anyone experienced a problem with the shop Mrs Robinson? (Lounged)

antmcg123

...but the weather here does suck doesn't it?

Of course there is an element of snobbery here, I'm sure there are a few modern-day Hyacinth Buckets around who need a reality check... but it is the exception rather than the rule in my experience.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

As I have said in the past, the middle

> classes always have the louder..

> voices

Always?

Mrs Robinson? Soul-free expensive tat for the most part, but each to their own.

Australia? Massively overrated.. especially by Australians. Nice place though, assuming you live in the 0.0001% of it that isn't 'cowboy town' and don't mind not having anything of interest within, say, a thousand miles.

Australia - amazing cricket grounds. Wonderful seafood - Morton Bay Bugs rule!! Fantastic weather (but then I LIKE it over 30 degrees), but certainly agree with small town mentality and some overtly racist attitudes. I was there for 18 days and would love to go back again for longer but wouldn't want to live there.

Jeremy Wrote:

> ...but the weather here does suck doesn't it?

You know Jeremy, I really don't think it does - although I know many many people disagree with me. I like having seasons, and rain, it's what makes this such a green and pleasant land.

Possibly there's an element of snobbery in some people, but I reiterate that I think it would be terribly misguided. I mean have you seen the size of our houses? And Lordship Lane is hardly Marylebone High Street now is it?

Brendan Wrote:

> Yeah Australia full of people that have some

> strange unfounded notion that England is full of

> self-righteous, indignant aresholes.

Have you been a 'Walkabout', Brendan?

Australia's finest.. on tour.

Well put *bob*. Agree with Sean that there is no need to bring class or superiority in to it (class no longer exists by the way). But I still support what I said before. Louisa often makes some very good points, but kind of ruins them sometimes with the usual stuff. In turn, people who should know a lot better, can't help but rise to it, and so on we go. Think Jeremy (as he often does) got it right, snobbery is not the rule, but it's definitely there.

Hi everyone.. I am new to the forum so hello to all. Now regarding the comments about Mrs Robinson. I have to say that having been into both the boutique and the interiors shop. I will never go there again and i have also advised everyone i know to stay away. I think the staff, especially those at managment and owner level are extremely rude. I have heard them speaking to customers in an inappropriate manner, considering these customers are paying the wages of these people.

The staff talk to you like you are stupid

I witnessed them shouting and humiliating a customer for touching the window display, who had the sense to leave.

Another time the owner i witnessed talking to local magazine staff like crap...

I would never buy anything from there. In my opinion there are far better shops scattered around without such vile staff.. Dulwich Trader, South of the River, Celestial to name a few..

RosieH Wrote:

> Jeremy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > ...but the weather here does suck doesn't it?

>

> You know Jeremy, I really don't think it does -

> although I know many many people disagree with me.

> I like having seasons, and rain, it's what makes

> this such a green and pleasant land.

I wouldn't mind rain, if we had a decent summer to balance it out. But we rarely do. Give me a mediterranean climate any day! Luckily there's other things I like about this place.

> Possibly there's an element of snobbery in some

> people, but I reiterate that I think it would be

> terribly misguided. I mean have you seen the size

> of our houses? And Lordship Lane is hardly

> Marylebone High Street now is it?

Exactly... I think there is some misguided snoberry around (hence the Hyacinth Bucket analogy, although I hate that TV show). But not a lot.

Why is it I can go into a shop like Iceland or Farmer's and get good reliable customer service and often have a laugh with the members of staff, and yet SOME people on here talk about the likes of Mr's Robinson and William Rose as though they are rude and arrogant. I've never seen a thread about any of the mentioned stores I visit mentioned in this way. Rude arrogant behaviour is not the soul trait of the middle classes, but it is certainly more prevalent in a subconscious way, even though many people from said class like to mock the working/underclass for their lack of education by refering to them as 'CHAVS'.

Louisa.

Surely inverse snobbery is just as elitist as snobbery. I agree that 'chav' is a lazy and insulting tag, however it is just as lazy and insulting to make assumptions that anyone who would want to shop in William Rose, Mrs Robinson (or who prefers an EDD sausage roll to a Greggs one) etc etc is a middle class idiot who has more money than sense.

Louisa Wrote:

many people from said class like to mock the working/underclass for their lack of education by refering to them as 'CHAVS'.

In a post on another thread Louisa referred to working class people as poor, now we have them down as uneducated. If you are trying to fight the corner of all working class people, you're failing miserably. I am from solid working class stock - I am neither poor or uneducated.

Perhaps I am one that 'should know better' when it comes to Louisa and her half-baked opinions, but today is a slow day at work and I felt the need to respond.

On topic - I've had some pretty awful service from Mrs Robinson (the houseware shop - never been in the boutique) and told them at the time, to which they were fairly indifferent. I don't tend to go in their very often now as a result.

kristymac1 Wrote:

----------------------------------------------------

>

> In a post on another thread Louisa referred to

> working class people as poor, now we have them

> down as uneducated.

Maybe you dont quite read my posts properly, I am mocking those who like to mock the working class, and yes being poor and lack of education are a major reason for some people calling certain people in society 'CHAVS' - if anyone is lacking clairty in an argument it is you!

> Perhaps I am one that 'should know better' when it

> comes to Louisa and her half-baked opinions, but

> today is a slow day at work and I felt the need to

> respond.

You are supposedly one of those who knows better and who previously shopped at Mr's Robinson et al, yes you must be very bored at work and thanks for supporting my argument and those of others who say that people like you rise to the challenge just because you can. You are about as working class as one of the Queen's corgi dogs. (BTW if it's half baked your after pop into one of the many overpriced bakers along the lane, i'm sure they can rip you off good and proper) ;-)

> On topic - I've had some pretty awful service from

> Mrs Robinson (the houseware shop - never been in

> the boutique) and told them at the time, to which

> they were fairly indifferent. I don't tend to go

> in their very often now as a result.

And you support my argument that said shop and others like it are rude and arrogant. Thanks.

Louisa.

Oh good I?m glad that?s settled. Now the vast majority of us who couldn?t give a dam about class or where people choose to shop or not can get back to deciding whether to spend that spare grand on a plaster cast roller-skate with matching throw cushion from Mrs Robinson or one and a half tons of frozen profita-rolls from Iceland.

Oh and *Bob* I wasn?t being entirely serious back there so you didn?t have to go and reinforce my point so emphatically.

pssst Louisa - you might want to have a look at the argy-bargy being given to Emily's chipper on the recommendations section. Turns out it's not just shops selling overpriced toss that get complaints

I also love the fact that mere posts after I said how it's odd that some places attract ire from people who have never posted before up pops Miss Community.

I don't really care about the shops -it's the gap between not-insignificant allegations of staff behaviour and the absence of anything remotely similar anytime I have been in there that troubles me. If Mrs Robinson (in this case) was really as bad as is being made out by some people on here why have I never seen anything like that? Why have I always been treated well when I go in there?

Cassius Wrote:

> I agree that 'chav' is a lazy and

> insulting tag, however it is just as lazy and

> insulting to make assumptions that anyone who

> would want to shop in William Rose, Mrs Robinson

> (or who prefers an EDD sausage roll to a Greggs

> one) etc etc is a middle class idiot who has more

> money than sense.

xxxxxxx

Yeh, well said.

There always seems to be a lot of these generalisations floating around the forum.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote

I also love the fact that mere posts after I said how it's odd that some places attract ire from people who have never posted before up pops Miss Community.

Indeed shes does. As i mentioned in my previous post i am a new member as of today. I work in the East Dulwich area and i have been using this handy website for research to see what happening locally and which shops are opening and closing etc

I just thought it was funny seeing so many comments about Mrs Robinson as i know so many people who have had a bad shopping experience there..

I was under the impression this particular thread was open to discuss Mrs Robinson...

oh it is, Miss Community - don't think I'm trying to stop you. I was just saying you reinforced a point I had made mere hours before you posted. I would have thought that anyone reading this thread would at least acknowledge the fact before then going on to detail their experience

I'm not trying to say you didn't have bad service - I'm just trying to suss out why there is such a gap between my experiences (and other people I know) and yours (and other posters on here).

I've just looked in, glad to see this thread has got away from "is Australia a nice place?" but sadly the class war over a lifestyle shop's customer service is a little weird.

And, I think we all just missed a forum first. Miss Community just said "In my opinion there are far better shops scattered around without such vile staff.. Dulwich Trader, South of the River, Celestial to name a few." A spokesperson for the much maligned tat shops has emerged from the shadows.

ap

(edited to remove antagonistic jibe)