Anyone experienced a problem with the shop Mrs Robinson? (Lounged)

antmcg123

@ Louisa - I'm not suggesting the shop staff were in the right and it would piss me off if that happened but I'd bring it to their attention rather than just leave. I'm well aware what good customer service is. But hey, according to you I'm just a middle-class snob who for some weird reason likes to subject myself to poor customer service and over-priced tat with a smug sense of self-satisfaction. Or something along those lines.

PS. the few times I've been in there and once or twice even bought something they've been fine.

alethea Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> so is the verdict get rid of mrs robinson and

> replace with a pound shop? Oh but no marker pens.

hell no - I prefer spectacularly bad customer service with my marker pens - which I think Lordship Lane is already amply catered for. Oh wait, did I read a thread saying they're selling up?

snorky Wrote:

> Ive experiened a problem with the Shop Mrs

> Robinson - my problem is that its crap and its

> still in business

This seems to be the exact same problem that I experienced too! Where can I make a formal complaint?

:/

Well this thread has become a bit heated, not sure why.

I haven't had any significant problems in any of the shops in ED but don't buy too much as most places charge too much by comparison with similar goods in other locations. As far as customer service ED is the same as pretty much everywhere else in the UK when it comes to woeful customer service. This applies especially to boutique shops where it seems they are doing you a favour just being there. It's just the way it is, I accept it like I accept the rubbish weather, I know I don't have to stay.

In defence of some of the posters above who get jumped on for suggesting ED is snobbish....since ive been in ED (about a year) I have to admit there is an "air of snobbery" in the place and I suppose that reflects what the residents of SE22 think of their little patch. Maybe I even add to it myself unconciously but surely we can laugh at ourselves a little and not get defensive?

I agree with some of what you say EDdownunder, but take umbrage to your lofty assertion:- "It's just the way it is, I accept it like I accept the rubbish weather, I know I don't have to stay."

Are you saying the weather 'Down Under' is great, compared to our 'rubbish weather'. Everytime I have been 'Down Under' I have found the heat unbearable - and found it hilarious how everyone there moans about it being 'too hot'. Personally I would rather be in a climate more akin to my pale skin. Or at least a climate which did not have humid, sweltering, blistering heat. But then I find beaches terribly boring.

And incidentally, so you know 'you don't have to stay'....well, does anybody have to stay anywhere? And the customer service in this country is not 'woeful' everywhere. What an ignorant assertion to make.

As for the small shops, even though many are not to my taste - and not within my price range (I agree with you that many are far too expensive) - I wish them well in this 'woeful' economic climate. Someone very close to me has just lost his job in one of the small firms locally and I would not wish this on anyone.

Back on topic, I have been in Mrs Robinson a few times and never bought anything as I don't like nick nacks/trinkets/ornaments for the house, preferring to use the local freecycling service due to my poverty stricken state.

Sherwick Wrote:

> As per Blackadder, Mrs Robinson = Feeble

> collection of stocking-fillers IMHO.

Crikey.. Christmas at your place must be an eye-opener, present-wise.

Lizziedjango Wrote:

> I agree with some of what you say EDdownunder, but

> take umbrage to your lofty assertion:- "It's just

> the way it is, I accept it like I accept the

> rubbish weather, I know I don't have to stay."

>

> Are you saying the weather 'Down Under' is great,

> compared to our 'rubbish weather'. Everytime I

> have been 'Down Under' I have found the heat

> unbearable - and found it hilarious how everyone

> there moans about it being 'too hot'. Personally I

> would rather be in a climate more akin to my pale

> skin. Or at least a climate which did not have

> humid, sweltering, blistering heat. But then I

> find beaches terribly boring.

>

> And incidentally, so you know 'you don't have to

> stay'....well, does anybody have to stay anywhere?

> And the customer service in this country is not

> 'woeful' everywhere. What an ignorant assertion to

> make.

>

> As for the small shops, even though many are not

> to my taste - and not within my price range (I

> agree with you that many are far too expensive) -

> I wish them well in this 'woeful' economic

> climate. Someone very close to me has just lost

> his job in one of the small firms locally and I

> would not wish this on anyone.

>

> Back on topic, I have been in Mrs Robinson a few

> times and never bought anything as I don't like

> nick nacks/trinkets/ornaments for the house,

> preferring to use the local freecycling service

> due to my poverty stricken state.

oh my, im glad you didnt totally disagree with me. you know i think its a bit wrong to be calling my comments ignorant. I have travelled a fair bit in my life and I honestly think that UK customer service is woeful, its my opinion and it's based on my experience. As for the weather I actually have a similar experience, every time i go back to australia the weather is crap but it doesn't change the fact that the weather here is rubbish but what is wrong with me saying that and saying that I accept it. It was a light hearted comment, so please chill out. By the way, I'm sorry your friend lost his job, but what is with the 'woeful' reference, is that an attempt at being funny?

I found customer service and food in Australia absolutely awful in most places I went (with the exception of the beef and seafood) and the weather was not exactly anything to write home about when I went, but that may have just been the time of year. However some of the countryside is spectacular and the beach lifestyle is amazing. But as I have pointed out previously on here, BBQ meat is not my idea of cooking a nice steak, I hate meat thats been charred and overcooked (unless its Greggs ;-))

Louisa.

Eddownunder, I did not call your comments ignorant but said "What an ignorant assertion to

make."

And no Daizie I will not take a chill pill. I grew up in Australia but have been here since childhood. I lived back there and worked as a newspaper journalist on the Sydney Morning Herald so know the place very well. It irks me when Aussies come over here and knock Britain, and go on about what an amazing place they come from (truly amazing in all aspects with no faults) when nothing could be further from the truth. I often wonder why so many choose to stay in the Uk for years and years when it is so 'horrible' here.

I was bored stiff in Australia and hated the largely suburban way of life. I found the place extremely racist too, and I am not alone. The weather was humid and far far too hot. The shops make ED ones look amazing. I was very very glad to get back to London, despite it being overcast and raining. This is a wonderful city.

Anyway, back on topic...Mrs Robinson...Hm...

Lizzie as much as I loved Australia for a holiday I agree with the whole suburban feel. Aside from Sydney which is a fabulous place to be during the summer, much of the country I found quite boring a lot of the time. Empty streets where tumbleweed is the only thing moving, and this just seems to go on for miles and miles. I wouldnt say the place was bland, but it lacked a certain amount of personality that many places have. This isnt a blanket comment btw before anyone jumps on me, just an observation as I have been to a lot of places downunder and found them all much of a muchness. But Woolies do sell really cheap king prawns which I thought was just amazing, god I want some now!

Louisa.

We had terrible weather in Australia, more than we had good!

Aaaanyway, I'm sticking up for Louisa on this one. I'd say there are more than a handful of complaints, as Sean puts it, and I think EDdownunder is spot on, and honest, with;

In defence of some of the posters above who get jumped on for suggesting ED is snobbish....since ive been in ED (about a year) I have to admit there is an "air of snobbery" in the place and I suppose that reflects what the residents of SE22 think of their little patch. Maybe I even add to it myself unconciously but surely we can laugh at ourselves a little and not get defensive?

I'm sure there are people who'd be shocked and appalled at someone making such a claim, but that is how a bunch of people feel, and these are not just the people that drink in the Castle and the Uplands.

Sorry, just felt the need to say that.

Thanks Keef for your support on this one.

I dont make this stuff up you know, I know an awful lot of people who think the same about the whole snobbery which has kind of saturated the local area. As I have said in the past, the middle classes always have the louder more articulate voices and so always jump on anyone who dares question their superiority. Oh well, I better shut up before I get rotten organic eggs thrown at my front door again.

Louisa.

Lizziedjango Wrote:

> I grew up in Australia but have been here since

> childhood. I lived back there and worked as a

> newspaper journalist on the Sydney Morning Herald

> so know the place very well.

Eh?

Louisa Wrote:

> Lizzie as much as I loved Australia for a holiday

> I agree with the whole suburban feel. Aside from

> Sydney which is a fabulous place to be during the

> summer, much of the country I found quite boring a

> lot of the time. Empty streets where tumbleweed is

> the only thing moving, and this just seems to go

> on for miles and miles. I wouldnt say the place

> was bland, but it lacked a certain amount of

> personality that many places have. This isnt a

> blanket comment btw before anyone jumps on me,

> just an observation as I have been to a lot of

> places downunder and found them all much of a

> muchness.

xxxxxx

I don't know quite why this thread is discussing Australia, but I have been there and loved it.

Wonderful rainforests, beaches, amazing wildlife, outback full of wildflowers after rain, Barrier Reef, King's Canyon, helpful bus drivers and shop assistants, etc etc etc..

"Lacking personality"? It's a country ffs, not a person!

I'd love to go back.

There is some real chip on shoulder stuff flying around here

What I'm hearing is bunch of people saying there is an "air" and a "feeling" of snobbery. I don't know why Louisa is throwing "superiority" into the mix as well - it's just emotional blackmail - "don't criticise me or it will just show you up for being middle class and arrogant!".

It's a bunch of emotional accusations, no better than middle class people saying they "feel" uncomfortable around poor kids wearing hoodies and saying their is an "air " of violence

Feelings are real and true. But they ain't always right

There is a reason shops like Robinson and William Rose have threads started by people we never usually hear from , complaining about customer service and it has far less to do with actual customer service than it does AnotherPauls excellent checklist. Bad customer service is not uncommon but you only have to stand in a shop with other customers for 2 minutes to realise that more often than not* it's ill-informed, cranky, selfish customers who, like good British people, love to moan

* NB - more of then than not. I didn't say never.