Accident by east dulwich station

I am very saddened to hear about these two accidents, I went through E&C last night and enjoyed the quiet roads (I ALWAYS use the cycle bypass) but I didn't realise something so tragic had happened.

As a cylist I can honestly say that it is impossible to avoid altogether lorries, coaches, big SUV's etc, and so it is very important for cyclists AND drivers to be aware of each other. Drivers really need to understand that cyclist will move infront of them in stationary traffic especially at lights (as it is safest to be at the front of the lights when they change). We all need to look out for one another on the roads and be more consierate and hopefully we will have fewer accidents.

Cyclist are the most vunerable road users so all motorist should pay extra special attention to them. We should encourage cyclists, especially female cyclists as we need more carbon neutral forms of transport, and we need more exercise.....

embrace the bikes and be nice to them, don't run them over and we will be nice to you too!

For sure, I hear pensioners and mothers with kids want to use their racers to get around, but are forced to take the bus by the lack of cycle lanes ;-)

Alternatively let's limit deliveries to 6am-8am and 7pm-9pm, extend the congestion charge south of the river, double the tax on fuel (to closer reflect the true cost of producing and clearing up after fossil fuels), and have both bus and cycle lanes....

Spoke to someone who saw the accident. I believe there was no cyclist involved - the cycle at the scene belonged to someone who was trying to help. The pillion on the motorbike was the one who got hurt. Ouch. Wear adequate clothing and Ride/Drive/Cycle/Walk carefully people and LOOK where you're going.

Although I understand the point of view being put across here, that drivers should be aware of cyclists etc etc. Until recently we drove a van and as careful as we are were still sometimes taken by surprise by bad road use by cyclists and sometimes by our own mistakes - being human. Of course all road users should be extremely careful but if we are distracted by something in front of us or a light suddenly blinds us - the point is that if we screw up we're still ok - if a cyclist screws up by assuming a car has seen him/her then he is dead. Not worth the assumption is it?

Thank you for this thread. Reading this has been a timely reminder for me not to take ANY chances when cycling. I often run along the left hand side of traffic when on my bike, i know i shouldn't but it seems the easiest thing to do sometimes. I'm so sorry for this woman who died, and her family.

Mick Mac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes lets hope all are ok, when you hear of a

> cyclist involved with a car you do worry, there

> was a death outside Sainsburys a couple of years

> ago, a father of a young family, hope this one is

> ok.

that case was dealt with in court a week or two ago, in that the family secured a 6 figure payout. turns out that the lorry had either a broken or possibly no nearside mirror, plus when the cab was searched by the plod there was an open newspaper lying on the seat. the company instead of having the grace to accept that one of their employees wiped someone out tried to argue the case, but thankfully the judge threw it out and hopefully bumped up the compo as well.

Good for all cyclists to read this thread and remind ourselves to be more careful. I commute by bicycle. It's always worth leaving ample time to get to work that way you are not rushing. I have stopped getting irate at the amount of motorists who do not use indicators before cutting me off at a junction / side street. Cycle defensively. Expect all motorists to break the rules and hopefully you will make it home in one piece. Danger aside, cycling still beats public transport... hands down.

Good for all cyclists to read this thread and remind ourselves to be more careful. I commute by bicycle. It's always worth leaving ample time to get to work that way you are not rushing. I have stopped getting irate at the amount of motorists who do not use indicators before cutting me off at a junction / side street. Cycle defensively. Expect all motorists to break the rules and hopefully you will make it home in one piece. Danger aside, cycling still beats public transport... hands down.

Just had a transit van drive into the back of me while cycling to work :-(

Luckily he wasn't going too fast and only wrecked my back wheel.

However, and this is the interesting part, he only hit me because I decided not to go flying through Brockley Cross roundabout but instead stopped at roundabout to let a car turning from the right pass.

The driver behind thought I was going to go flying out and didn't look in front of him.

Just shows you... caution ISN'T always the best policy when cycling.

When I was taught to drive by my father, he also taught me the concept of 'defensive driving' which, in summary, is to to presume that everyone else around you is an idiot.

Driver, cyclists, motorcyclists: never assume anything. Especially if you've have never driven/ridden the other type of vehicle. I know never to go around corners side-by-side with long vehicles even if there is two lanes, but it confuses other drivers behind me as to why I have slowed down. I know that most vehicles have a huge blind spot just behind the passenger side rear door that no amount of mirror twiddling completely eliminates - people who have never driven may not realise that. But I've never ridden a motorcycle in traffic, so I don't always understand what the hell they are going to do next and so I keep an eye out for them.

As for cycling around E&C roundabout? Good grief, it's terrifying enough in a car - there are things coming at you from all directions. You couldn't pay me enough money to attempt it on a bike. Frankly, I'd feel safer going bungee jumping with a piece of old knicker elastic.