A properly brilliant, toddlerhood-defining playground for East Dulwich

Of course a new playground would be great. I wonder if anyone knows what will become of the kids water feature in P Rye, which was installed incorrectly and never repaired. Unfortunately this means that it's completely useless.

Would hate to see this same fate fall any new playground. This work needs to be well researched and contracted, so that someone is ultimately responsible for correct installation, safety and repairs. xx

• 3 months later...

Dhjs - I think your idea of a multi-use community space is fantastic.

I can see children from at least 3 local schools benefitting from shared facilities, plus that area is relatively lacking in large communal spaces for the community.

Do you know if the land has been designated for anything yet or not?

Thanks

The playgrounds in Dulwich Park and Peckham Rye are really quite poor. It's a shame that the relatively recent investments in both were slightly squandered (Peckham's weird fenced off tap and DPs long wall with ladder).

Brockwell is great, look to Clissold Park too for a good example.

Splash play is fun, but obviously quite seasonal. A decent all year round playground would be my priority.

To a certain extent some of this is an adult's perspective on a child's world and children don't really care what it looks like. If it's fun it's fun. Not saying replicating Brockwell Park in PR wouldn't be absolutely fabulous, but our little one loves Goose Green.

Our main objection would be the much older kids invading the climbing frames and spoiling the environment for everyone else: if they would congregate elsewhere it would be far more pleasant for the intended age group. An interim approach might be to try and do something about that while we wait 20 years for the dream playground to materialise.

There are plans afoot for Peckham Rye. The One O'clock club building to be knocked down, all the playground that was so exepensive and rubbish next to it reloacted to where the car park currently is; the car park to move to the other side of Strakers Road. The team behind it were at the recent Peckham Rye Fete with a stall with deails of the consulatation etc. Sorry I don't recall the details of who - maybe the Friends of Peckham Rye would know?

A toddler friendly playground would be great - even better if it could be part of something bigger for multiple use. Goose Green is good but the older children take over and both of my daughters have been knocked over by older children darting around. I love the look of the photos in the original post and we would most certainly make good use of this type of space - the kids love being outside but the current provision in the parks is not adequate (two baby/toddler swings in P Rye park always results in demand outweighing provision) and it's not always practical to have to drive further afield for a quick trip to the park.

• 2 months later...

buggie - the Belvedere Splash Park has not been open this year and Bexley Council are closing it, moving the park opposite onto the SP site and have plans for the original park which include closure of the adjacent busy library.

Reasons given are the Splash Park is too expensive to maintain as the filters are constantly blocked. A 50p entrance per adult seems to be beyond their whit.

It was a wonderful facility, for even barely on their feet toddlers, and despite a petition and public meetings, I fear it is doomed.

Good luck with this venture, summer - sunshine and water, wonderful