The 124 Lordship Lane eyesore

It's a British thing I suppose to take over ...

The British Empire where most of the World was Colonised...

The Brits abroad .. who have taken over Small Spanish fishing villages and turned them into

pockets English culture.. (That's laugh)

Yeah.. It's really lovely. Everyone speak English. No foreign food. We got a nice club. Just the English people

If I ever moved it would be because I liked the place as it was.

I would not move somewhere with the intention of taking over and changing the place.

Makes sense. ??

Probably not..

DulwichFox

You are right Fox, and it kinda annoys me when someone living here five minutes is saying "get rid of Iceland!", or "how many salons does Peckham need?"

But at the same time there's no excuse for letting your property fall into such a state of utter decay.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You are right Fox, and it kinda annoys me when

> someone living here five minutes is saying "get

> rid of Iceland!", or "how many salons does Peckham

> need?"

>

> But at the same time there's no excuse for letting

> your property fall into such a state of utter

> decay.

That right.. but I have to say until now I never really took much notice. One tends to walk passed

the Launderette, glance in and then your outside William Rose ..

I suppose you just get used to it. The fly posting makes it worse as it draws attention to the place.

Foxy

Don't think I've ever given the place more than a moment's thought. It's not like the high street is dying on its ass out there. There's room for occasional quirks (cars and hi-fis etc) without getting knickers knotted.

Where it can turn annoying is where cash-poor owners are sitting on a valuable property - and then their inability to maintain it leaves neighbours having to carry the can when those maintenance issues spread beyond the boundaries.

Saying you've 'got no money' to someone who's in hock with a mortgage for the rest of their life can be a bit galling when you're clearly sitting on a gazillion quid.

It?s dangerous to let buildings fall into severe decay after fire damage. That?s why building control can force the owner to repair it.

MS. Blueberry has lived here for 6 or more years. Not everyone in ED is in their 60s so for many people that?s a long time (perhaps the longest time) they?ve spent in anyone neighborhood as an adult.

Also, saying people should only live in areas they like as they are is rather ridiculous. People live where they can afford to live. In London, especially for young buyers, we know that may mean a compromise on the amenities on offer. Wanting those facilities to eventually develop in your area hardly makes anyone a monster. Is there anyone that thinks the friends of Peckham Rye park who have made huge improvements to local open spaces shouldn?t have changed the area? What about the opening of the new cinema on Lordship Lane?

Curmudgeon Wrote:

> I've always liked that shop front tbh ..it's full

> of character and you can tell small children

> completely macabre stories about it

That's the reason that part of me misses the run down state of the concrete house. When my wife's nephew was about 7 he was doing a school thing about ghosts, so I took him there to see the house and took some photos for his homework. It was perfect.

Obviously it's great that it was restored, but it did look pretty cool with half a roof and no windows.

Ms Blueberry Wrote:

> Shame on me for having a genuine interest in my

> neighbourhood? And a little bit of maths may

> indicate I've lived here for over 5 years.

> Hurrah, I'm now entitled to an opinion.

Of course you are, as is everyone else allowed theirs though - even if it's on your expressed opinion.

In this particular case I suspect it's really more about the manner in which you went about expressing your opinion (See below) rather than the underlying opinion itself which, interpreting it charitably, is that the place could do with tidying up.

Mrs Blueberry wrote:

"Dear Owner of the shop front infecting the space between William Rose Butchers and His Lordship Launderette on Lordship Lane - this is an eyesore. At least get rid of the trashed awning.

Southwark Council! - is there anything to be done?

Does anyone know the story behind this prime piece of retail space?"

From what I recall ( as a resident who has lived in ED since birth) this was a clothes/millinery shop. I have vague memories from the early 60s seeing hats and dresses displayed in the windows. They were old fashioned even in those days.

The elderly lady owner, was involved in a fire a few years ago

"Does anyone know the story behind this prime piece of retail space?"

Err, yes... it's clearly owned by someone else, not you. So feel free to look elsewhere. Simple enough.

I love East Dulwich, but it depresses me that some residents feel that every corner of this wonderful neighbourhood should adhere to their own personal standards. If it isn't directly affecting you or your health, the ability to walk on by is a great skill to learn.

Yes, I guess caring about them is good :-)

But the OP's first post seemed more interested in it because it is considered prime retail space (nobody's business but the owner's), and an eyesore (an opinion), specifically not because it is a danger or a hazard to anyone.

NewWave Wrote:

> Either way it is somebody's home,

> And surely the main concern should not be about

> 'prime retail space' or 'eyesores' but the safety

> and wellbeing of the person who lives above a fire

> damaged and rundown property

Spot-on! :-)

• 5 months later...
I think you'll find that the many long term dwellers here who know a bit about the situation will probably tell you that the woman in question has no interest in turning her property into 'prime retail space', doesn't want 'help' and is quite happy doing what she likes with her own property... hats off to her. A bit of stubborn eccentricity, if that's what you want to call it, or simply just a willingness to live and let live, as others on this thread have suggested!

Sorry to jump in this late....but it was always my understanding that the owner had run the shop with their partner and when they died they left it as is. I think its not traded since the early 90s.

Many people have offered to rent it but no offer has been accepted as the owner wants to keep as same. I think it's actually rather a romantic story. If true, a bit like the notebook.

Agree. No ones business but the owners. Keep noses out.

madger Wrote:

> I think you'll find that the many long term

> dwellers here who know a bit about the situation

> will probably tell you that the woman in question

> has no interest in turning her property into

> 'prime retail space', doesn't want 'help' and is

> quite happy doing what she likes with her own

> property... hats off to her. A bit of stubborn

> eccentricity, if that's what you want to call it,

> or simply just a willingness to live and let live,

> as others on this thread have suggested!