The 124 Lordship Lane eyesore

I learnt some interesting history about this shop recently. Apparently it used to be a 'gown' shop - run by a lady tailor. It made me think of the historical photos of East Dulwich which are displayed on Northcross Road - and the mix of shops that would have been seen along Lordship Lane in the early twentieth century. I wonder what sort of gowns sold best?

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Must be Friday LM, sense of humour failure. I was

> being sarcastic. Maybe it will be a space NK?

>

> Louisa.

I know you were being funny by winding people up. Its like my mom who used to tease my very vain grandfather he needed a cane just to watch him explode in indignation :)

Maybe you will get your Space NK

Jennys Wrote:

> Louisa Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I guess if you don't live in the immediate

> streets

> > surrounding this new store it's not a problem.

> As

> > long as you get your hands on some overpriced

> > ready meals.

> >

> > I went in earlier (on foot) to buy butter,

> their

> > basic variety was 1.30, walked back home jumped

> in

> > car and drove to Lidl in Penge and paid 79p for

> > same size. I'll be buying my wine from marks

> from

> > now on though. When I can be bothered to walk.

> >

> > Louisa.

>

> How much did the petrol cost to Penge and back?

> What about pollution from an unnecessary car

> journey? And did the butter taste good? Price of

> an item isn't the only consideration, important

> though it is.

I'm having a quiet day today so - fair questions - would it be a worthwhile exercise to drive to Penge to try to save 51p on butter?

Let's ignore the obvious environmental issues and stick to some easily calculable facts to objectively assess this (it was after all the price of the butter that was relied upon as the reason for driving to Lidl in Penge). To be fair it was never suggested that was good time management, or environmentally responsible.

Assume the journey is made in a new, very economical small car that does a good urban 80 mpg/17.6 miles per litre

Assume also that the drive was only 4.1 miles each way (the shortest route) to High Street Penge from (say) The Actress pub in Northcross Road - that's 8.2 miles round trip.

Assume a good deal on unleaded petrol to put in the small economy car - ?1.09.9 per litre (cheapest supermarket price today).

Assume no wear and tear, no parking charges, no allocation of the fixed costs of owning the car - no other costs at all.

Based on those most generous of assumptions, the trip of at least 38 minutes driving time to get the 'cheaper' butter (in order to 'save' 51p) cost no less than 51.2p. In reality it probably cost significantly more.

I suppose on this occasion at least the multi-national oil company and the petrol retailing chain benefitted from the price of the M&S butter!

• 10 months later...

Ms Blueberry Wrote:

> Congratulations to Pearspring for improving the

> Lordship Lane community.

Does look nice and a great improvement to the eyesore that was there for so long.

That little stretch of L.L. seems to be being generally developed and improved.

Just need to sort out the pavements further down L.L. opposite the Co-op

DulwichFox.

The new shop looks lovely from the outside and a great improvement. Not sure what they sell though?

The pavements along LL are a mess from top to bottom. Lots of visitors have taken note of the poor condition of our public pathways.

Louisa.

Quite right too. And they should have public liability insurance although that does not make up for a badly damaged limb if someone falls. (btw Abe I like the way you have correctly distinguished between 'there' and 'their' in the same sentence.

edcam Wrote:

> The big sign above the shop which says

> "Houseplants and Botanical Goods" might give you a

> clue.

>

Obviously I hadn't read the sign as I was too busy driving, otherwise I'd have known, wouldn't I?

Louisa.