Mussels & chips

BigPhil

If you were in a pub and you decided to order Mussels and Chips.

Would you prefer 20 odd , small mussels in steamed open shells

or 1 doz large kiwi mussels in a 1/2 shells ( these of course will be thawed from frozen)

any preferences?

I'd expect 40-odd medium ones in a nice big deep pan with another nice big pan to dump all the - whole - shells. And an enormous great white cloth napkin.

And that's what I generally get.

And if I don't, I don't go back. B)

Signed, mussel-eater extraordinaire.

PS My gran has a great recipe for mussels with a hot red sauce she makes, but that's different.

Is this market research? In which case Snorky is the muscles you're going to have to deal with.

Is there some sort of cultural bias implicit in this enquiry? In which case I shall forward your post to Richard Littlejohn and if the mood takes me John 'Jon' 'Gaunty' Gaunt and see how you like it.

As for me I'm vacillating between 'which is the cheaper' and 'Meh'?

louisiana Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'd expect 40-odd medium ones in a nice big deep

> pan with another nice big pan to dump all the -

> whole - shells. And an enormous great white cloth

> napkin.

>

> And that's what I generally get.

>

> And if I don't, I don't go back. B)

>

> Signed, mussel-eater extraordinaire.

>

> PS My gran has a great recipe for mussels with a

> hot red sauce she makes, but that's different.

Im guessing this is for a mains size meal then. our current price for similar is ?11.95 , a lite/starter size is ?5.95

however we will be about 10-15% cheaper at new site ( i Think)

Still looking at new suppliers and prices

We serve in creamy white wine sauce

yes we use big bowls and we give you a shell bowl

we dont do the cloth napkins sorry , but you can have plenty of paper ones.

also i agree with LuLu too, fresh is best and that is something we strive to do as much as possible

Its sort of resereach

although we wont have mussels on the main menu, we will have a blackboard specials menu as well as a small everyday menu.

We dont want to change too much of the pub. we want to retain its pub-ness and character but we want to paint & clean it up a bit and make it inviting to a wider market.

anyone is welcome to contact me direct if they have questions or points to raise

cheers

Phil

i would only expect fresh opened shells. People are suspicious of half shells as we are not sure they were alive and opened on cooking.so half shells are not good. There is a big opportunity for quality food in ed so aim high and you will be rewarded.

LuLu Too Wrote:

> The former definately.

> As much as I love all things Antipodean, I prefer

> my seafood local. We live on an island. There's no

> excuse.

So how's it with the loving things Honaloochiean, these days?

It's just that I'm meeting up with a couple of mobsters from Hull this Friday.

And I was hoping you'd do me the honour, indeed the privilege of, well giving me some background on them.

It's Teddy Carstairs the fruit and veg Don, apparently not an orange moves in the area without his say so and Mickey 'The Mike' Mansfield who runs all the karaoke in town. Last time he heard someone whistling 'I Will Survive' on the street, he informed them they wouldn't unless they coughed up half a quid.

So Lulu, any 'skinny' you might have on them?

LuLu Too Wrote:

> London 0 Hull 4

> That's all I know.

And that's all I need to know, Lulu. Thanks.

I'll know exactly at which point of the negotiations to apply that piece of intelligence.

Consider yourself owed a quadruple Tanqueray and mixer of your choice.

Stay in touch.

ha

new improved non biting snorky

"Local" mussels make muchnmore sense and are better tasting than the awful lumpy one from the other side of the world - havwe to be fresh & have to be good, otherwise people will not bother

full shell, semi open , steamed to perfection, good chips

simple & easy

Former, and a whole lot of them. Green-lipped mussels are good but I prefer the smaller ones. Nice chips too - not those ones made from frozen and fried in awful oil that then repeats on your (like most fries in restaurants now).

just make sure they a live and fresh

ther fishmongers on LL charges about 4.50 a kg for Orkeys/ Shetland mussels retails and they are very very good - though the prices rises towards the end of summer when they fatten up