Station Manager Corner

Peckham Rye station needs more than one ticket machine. It was broken this morning and only one ticket window open ? total ball ache.

You could easily get a couple more machines to the left of the ticket windows where there are information boards showing train time which I rarely see anyone using.

Izodia Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You can also top up pay-as-you-go at some of the

> local newsagents.

Also online at tfl.gov.uk (you can set it to auto-top up whenever your balance falls below a chosen amount)

Dear all

First of all the last few postings are being looked at and apologise for inconvenience.

Unfortunately I will not be posting now for a while due to unforseen circumstances and some holiday I need to take. I am able to pick up PM messages via my Blackberry after the 4th January if anyone wishes to raise a serious concern or issues which I will pass onto my management team to rectify. I will have one last look in on Christmas Eve just to make sure all ok, although I am sure you will be up to much nicer things!

I would like to take this opportunity to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a safe and prosperous 2010. Lastly to thank you for your patience and understanding since I started posting here on the East Dulwich Forum during 2009!

Best wishes

Barry Jones

Station Manager

London Bridge & Streatham Hill Area

Dear Barry,

Thanks for being there for us.

You are model for all the institutions that have generally made themselves totally inaccessible and automated.

It's great to have a 'real live person' who's prepared to listen and make a difference.

I hope that you have a peaceful Christmas and that you get some rest too.

Thanks again,

Mark J

Markjonathan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Dear Barry,

> Thanks for being there for us.

> You are model for all the institutions that have

> generally made themselves totally inaccessible and

> automated.

> It's great to have a 'real live person' who's

> prepared to listen and make a difference.

> I hope that you have a peaceful Christmas and that

> you get some rest too.

> Thanks again,

> Mark J

Here Here!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Barry - Happy New Year!

Can you respond on the other thread about the Oyster Card? See the exchange started off by this one:

Re: Oyster on the trains from 2nd Jan

Posted by: Ginster 02/01/2010, 08:42PM

I'm really disappointed about how the scheme is going to work. I assumed I could just swipe my card (I have a zone 1 and 2 annual card on my oyster) and get on the train and as long as I touched out the other end it would work it all out. Unfortunately after doing some reading today it seems whenever I want to go outside of zone 2 I have to get an "Oyster Extension Permit" from a machine, ticket office or newsagents. So really, that isn't going to save me any time or effort from before when I had to queue up to buy an extension (and as ticket machines have never sold extensions I've always had to queue at the office or when that has been closed I have to hope that the station at my destination "believe" me (as I don't see why I should have to buy the full ticket from the machine when I already have part of it paid for.)

Does anyone know if this is permanent? Why can't the machines work all this out and charge me accordingly? I'm so disappointed that this isn't as good as I thought it would be.

There is planned engineering work taking place between Tulse Hill and London Bridge with a rail replacement bus in operation until 4.00 am tomorrow morning. There should have been a notice outside the front of the station.

Barry - have just posted a message about the dangerous condition of the ramps at East Dulwich station; at 5.00pm today they were very slippery with snow and ice and by tomorrow they will be worse. I saw one person fall today, but luckily not hurt badly, but tomorrow there could be some serious injuries.

Dear all

As you can appreciate the weather is really bad, during the day when they were clearing snow it became a wasted exercise as snow kept falling. Last night I had teams out at 1am and 4am to clear as much ice as possible, the problem that I have even after clearing is that it keeps re freezing, causing even more problems. I have just requested some special ice melt substance which my team have just picked up and they are currently going around the routes checking all stations. In addition to trying to run a service my platform staff are also trying to clear as much of the ice as possible. Trust me we are doing all we can to ensure your safety when entering the stations

In relation to the "Southern Journey Checker" I can now confirm that the feed comes from NRE (national rail enquiries)from a base in Leeds to all Train Operating Companies. It has been confirmed that the cables have been severed and they are currently working connecting a new IP Adress at Doncaster so this service can resume, unfortunately this will take some time.

The latest updates from our control centre is that a near normal service will run for the entire day for London Bridge/Victoria Metro, ie Battersea, West Norwood, Dulwiches etc, agian Sussex Coast services from Brighton/Victora are severly disrupted and have many many cancellations and delays.

Those planning to travel to other areas of the country ie someone mentioned Cardiff, I would check with the relevant train operating company for information

London Bridge, will run a near normal service right throughout the evening however for those using Capital Connect (Tulse Hill, Streatham) please be aware they have many cancellations and lastly SouthEastern services from London Bridge this evening will start to run the sevices down from 2000hrs

Again accept my apologies on behalf of Southern Railway for the inconvenience and issues being faced.

Regards

Barry Jones

Station Manager

Streatham Hill Area/London Bridge

Some time ago I asked what Southwark Council could help with at East Dulwich station. you said that help funding a new waiting area for the platform 1 facing London Bridge station. You've estimated this would cost ?12,000-?15,000.

I've now applied for Southwark Council Cleaner, Greener, Safer funding for ?4,000 from East Dulwich ward and after checking with Cllr Jenny Jones for ?4,000 from the Southwark Camberwell ward. Each ward broadly has around ?120,000 a year to spend on capital projects.

You've agreed that if Southwark Council helps with ?8,000 that Southern would contribute the rest and project manage it all.

I'm hopeful that my East Dulwich ward colleagues will agree to support this.

I'm also hopeful that Green Party Cllr Jenny Jones for South Camberwell will be able to persuade her Labour cllr colleagues in South Camberwell.

The final decisions would be taken in mid March and all going well money would be available 1 April.

How long do you think it would take to construct?

Why is it necessary to have a waiting room?

I get the train every day and can't really see how it would make much difference to passengers.

Money would be better spent on the ramps to the platforms (a) getting rid of the steps on platform two to make access easier and speed up commuters' exit and (b) installing hand rails for safety - it's incredibly dangerous when it snows.....

Agreed, why's a waiting room needed? If we are desperate to spend money on the platforms then I'd be going for the option of more shelters from the rain on the away from London platform.

Tend to think though that, again on that side, the steps and access could do with being improved as much more of a priority.