Station Manager Corner

Dear all, no praise needed, its something I want to do and really want to improve your perceptions of Southern Railway and the Streatham Hill Area Team , I honestly believe this approach will help the passengers and the community, after all I am from the area also! Trust me, this also helps me and managing the area, so its two way and we all benefit.

As I said before, I will do all I can within my power as the Station Manager to act upon ideas and suggestions, for those points raised which I cant, I will ensure they reach the right people

Thank you for the kind comments

Barry

Barry, it's wonderful to see someone engaging with passengers through the local forum and making such an effort to act on people's comments - thank you very much indeed.

After the rubbish tidy-up a few weeks ago the station remained pretty litter-free for quite a while - a few cans and bottles have started creeping back, however. It would be great if your team could be responsive in dealing with these, as people seem to be more hesitant to litter a clean station, but once the littering has started, it escalates.

I am not going to be a nay-sayer because our station controller is doing a great job, but it does sadden me that we go into paroxysms of praise when someone is being effective and open and doing his job well. I am not having a go at you who have praised him, just pointing out that it's a sad state of affairs when that is the norm.

Nero Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I am not going to be a nay-sayer because our

> station controller is doing a great job, but it

> does sadden me that we go into paroxysms of praise

> when someone is being effective and open and doing

> his job well. I am not having a go at you who have

> praised him, just pointing out that it's a sad

> state of affairs when that is the norm.

but SMBJones is doing this in his spare time making hime quadruply amazing.

Fantastic stuff, thanks Barry.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it, but I think the PA system at E.Dulwich could be improved; if you're far down the platform you can't hear it which can lead to uncertainty/frustration in the case of delays/cancellation announcements. ...

Barry,

Can I suggest an departures screen at the bottom of the London bound platform next to the ticket machine.

Currently we have to buy a ticket and walk to the top of the slope only to find out trains are cancelled / delayed.

SMBJones Wrote:

> Dear all, I have now put in place an action plan

> that will solve and help with the points raised on

> this forum over the last few days. A couple of

> them cannot be implemented straight away for

> business reasons

>

> * Zone 2 & 3 Travel Cards are available and now

> forms one the Top 21 Tickets and easy to find. THIS IS NOW UP AND RUNNING

> * For those having trouble with navagating around

> Ticket Machines, leaflets will be available from

> the clerks by the end of the week. THESE ARE NOW AVAILABLE

> * Improved Ticket Availability, this will

> incorporate for example tickets to Leeds or

> Sussex, I am waiting for a programme to be

> activated called "Rail Journey Information System"

> which is needed, Hopefully this will in place by

> the end of this week THIS SYSTEM IS NOW UP AND RUNNING

> * My Ticket Office Managers will be available from

> 0715Hours to 1000Hrs on the 5th and 6th May at

> East Dulwich to answer questions and help with

> Ticket Machines ADVERTISED AND MY TEAM FULLY BRIEFED

> * They will also be at North Dulwich on the 7th

> and 8th May, same times as above. These sessions

> will also be advertised by close of play tomorrow AS ABOVE

> * 2 Benches will be installed on Platform 1 and 2

> on Platform 2 at East Dulwich, these will be

> painted and ready within 7 days. THESE ARE NOW IN PLACE, PAINTED AND READY FOR USE

> * 2 extra Bins have been installed this morning at

> East Dulwich, I have also ordered cigarette bins

> to help with cleanliness Placed outside the

> confines of the station of course. 4 EXTRA LITTER BINS PLACED AT ED, AWAITING ARRIVAL OF CIGARETTE BINS, NO SMOKING SIGNS ALSO IN PLACE> * From Tuesday 5th May, both North and East

> Dulwich will be open from 1600hrs to 1900hrs S

> Monday to Friday, the staff will be arriving at

> 1500hrs to clean the station also. I will gage

> ticket sales after a period of 4 weeks. Hopefully

> this will reduce the queues in the morning peaks. STAFF HAVE NOW BEEN ROSTERED, COMMENCES TUESDAY 5TH AFTER BANK HOLIDAY

> * Queens Road will also have cigarette bin and bin

> rims to help with cleanliness BINS IN PLACE, ALSO WILL GET A LICK OF PAINT TO SMARTEN UP

> * My duty mananagers will be carrying out spot

> checks on a regular basis to ensure that your

> stations are clean and well presented, cleaning

> plans will be in place by the end of this week,

> which will include daily, weekly and monthly

> cleaning tasks CLEANING PLANS NOW IN PLACE

>

In addition to the above I am pleased to announce that as from Monday 11th May I have negotaited a mobile cleaning team. They will be covering East and North Dulwich, Queens Road and South Bermondsey. They will be at these stations twice a day, this will also free up the clerks in the Ticket Offices ensuring better coverage.

I am also currently speaking with the London Wildlife Trust and we are near to agreeing the maintenance of the piece of land at East Dulwich, working in partnership with the LWT would certainly improve the environemnt and perception of this station

Wishing you all a good weekend and Bank Holiday

Kind Regards

Barry Jones

Barry

This is great - the only negative thing is that it has taken one individual to make these changes. Anyway great work and I would like to add that the man at ED is really nice and friendly and does seem under enormous pressure at times. I too have found the office closed but then found him having to do other jobs around the station. He also obviously has to make certain breaks during the day - it is annoying when this happens when you want a ticket, but on the whole I think he is doing a good job.

Hi Cassius

With the introduction of the mobile cleaning teams on the 11th May and more time in the afternoon to perform station duties this will ease some of the pressure on the clerks.

I am hoping with the extended opening hours during the evening peaks this may reduce the queues in the mornings

Barry

Hi, There is a departure screen in the booking hall, however I am going to suggest your idea to my line manager although this is a very expensive project to get off the ground

Can you give me at least a week to source some information on this and I will reply to the forum accordingly

Regards

Barry

shel Wrote:

> Barry,

>

> Can I suggest an departures screen at the bottom

> of the London bound platform next to the ticket

> machine.

>

> Currently we have to buy a ticket and walk to the

> top of the slope only to find out trains are