Station Manager Corner

Barry,

If you turn down Sophiesofa's offer, can I be next in line! ?

I know you don't want praise, but you are one in a trillion. Huge thanks.

By the way, my cynical husband doesn't believe that you exist - he thinks someone is having us all on...like an extended April Fools!

Hi Tommy, I will order some more Bin Rims for the Station

I have emailed you reference Step Free Access

Regards

Barry

tommy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Barry - just read this thread, impressive work

>

> With Peckham Rye station, are there any plans for

> step free access ? Also a few more bins outside

> the station would be good

Good morning LM. they say proof is in the pudding, maybe this forum can convince your husband that this is not an April Fools joke

As for the marriage proposal, will give serious consideration if Sophie retracts her offer ;-) (who says I dont have a sense of humour)

kind regards

Barry

Ladymuck Wrote:

> Barry,

>

> If you turn down Sophiesofa's offer, can I be next

> in line! ?

>

> I know you don't want praise, but you are one in a

> trillion. Huge thanks.

>

> By the way, my cynical husband doesn't believe

> that you exist - he thinks someone is having us

> all on...like an extended April Fools!

Many thanks Barry. Will take up your suggestions.

If you could encourage the station manager for Peckham Rye station to also come onto the forum - it'd be much appreciated ! Great to see community spirit and a personal touch go so far

Hi Tommy

Peckham Rye is my station also along with 15 stations in the south London area. Is there something particular you wish to raise regarding PMR?

I have ordered some more Bin Rims at as per your request

regards

Barry

For others reading this post, the stations I manage in the Metro Area are, Birkbeck (unmanned), West Norwood, Gipsy Hill, Balham, Battersea Park, Wandsworth Road (unmanned), Clapham High Street(unmanned), East and North Dulwich, South Bermondsey, Queens Road Peckham, Streatham, Streatham Hill (my base) Peckham Rye, Tulse Hill and Wandsworth Common. I have an establishment of 112 staff of which I have 3 duty managers, 1 Ticket Office Manager and Area Ticket Office Team Leader. If you have any points regarding any of these stations you may use, then please do not hesitate to raise your points through this forum. It is also my intention to facilitate some local "Meet the Manager" sessions so you can meet the team and discuss issues and ideas.

tommy Wrote:

> Many thanks Barry. Will take up your suggestions.

>

> If you could encourage the station manager for

> Peckham Rye station to also come onto the forum -

> it'd be much appreciated ! Great to see community

> spirit and a personal touch go so far

You, sir, are an absolute star.

My daily commute is outside your aegis in Forest Hill. This weekend though mrs ruffers and I travelled via East Dulwich station (what with the Forest Hill line being a bit kerry packered) and we are about to move so that becomes our commuting station. In that innocent and freshly ojective way we observed that -

We had no idea what and when and whatever the trains were till we got to the platform - can this "next" "expected" etc funnel down nearer the ticket office? Being good citizens we had bought tickets in good time but it appeared there were stragglers who weren't sure how long they had.

Good afternoon

I would like to apologise for the waiting times for tickets this morning at East Dulwich. Unfortunately some vandals had stuffed the machine with paper making it inoperable, thankfully I was there when my Ticket Office Manager had already called the engineers and they were on site very quickly

This kind of incident is uncommon and will try to rectify this kind of issue as soon as we can, it also came at a bad time when a lot of passengers were renewing weekly and monthly tickets. I will monitor this situation closely in order to have the British Transport Police/Southern Task Force ready to help with an undercover operation if this continues

Regards

Barry

Good evening

Really sorry to report that the ceiling in the booking hall collapsed at North Dulwich, I have a team going in tonight to tidy the hole as best as they can, however this will mean it may take a couple of weeks to find the water leak and repair damage. I will keep you updated on progress and when the works will be carried out. Please bear in mind this will be a Network Rail project and I have no control. apologies on behalf of Southern for the inconvenience this may cause.

On a positive note I have spoken with the Customer Relation Executive at NWR and he has agreed to get the grafitti cleared on the "platform risers", (this is the wall that goes from the track to the platform) at East Dulwich, I was there this morning and it did look quite bad on both platforms, hopefully within a week or two this will be cleared

Barry

Shel/Ruffers

With reference to the departure screen for the London Bridge bound entrance, I have a quick solution, I am currently speaking with the Passenger Information Manager who has agreed to produce a poster that will show the full time table from East Dulwich to London Bridge, as you can appreciate this will not show "delays". To put in place a new departure screen will mean a big investment and I need to produce a business case and it will take some time.

I plan to put up a large poster frame displaying this information from Sunday 17th May when the new time table is introduced (please see Southern's website for this info)

Hope this helps

Barry

shel Wrote:

> Barry,

>

> Can I suggest an departures screen at the bottom

> of the London bound platform next to the ticket

> machine.

>

> Currently we have to buy a ticket and walk to the

> top of the slope only to find out trains are

> cancelled / delayed.

SMBJones Wrote:

> Shel/Ruffers

>

> With reference to the departure screen for the

> the

> > top of the slope only to find out trains are

> > cancelled / delayed.

Nice

Hi Barry,

I read your original post with interest and wondered if you were actually a fake poster! I must admit I was pleasantly surprised to see you have already followed through with a couple of points (more benches on the platforms and longer ticket office opening hours).

Thank you very much, it has renewed my faith in people who just want to be good at their jobs.

Sarah

Just out of interest Barry, Do you know what happened to the dog that was on the tracks for a few hours on Friday?

Last I saw, 2 men (possibly Network Rail) tried to coax him but he panicked and legged it back towards ED station, hope he is ok, he was very scared!

Hi Barry, only just seen this thread, and haven't read all 4 pages, so sorry if I'm repeating a request. Would it be possible to do something about the steps at the bottom of the slope at ED station, at least repainting the edges, maybe putting in a rail? I don't have the best eyesight, and I find them really dangerous, particularly after dark. I think it's because they're shallow and uneven. I'd imagine even people with good eyesight struggle, must be a nightmare for a lady in heels! Many thanks, Keith

Hi Keef

I have my maintenance team going to East Dulwich tomorrow to highlight the steps in yellow. In addition, I have spoken with Southern's Facilities Manager and he has agreed to get a quote for the railings. This may take a week or two, however I will ensure I keep you updated through the forum

I do apologise for this and I should have noticed this before on my safety tours

Kind regards

Barry

Keef Wrote:

> Hi Barry, only just seen this thread, and haven't

> read all 4 pages, so sorry if I'm repeating a

> request. Would it be possible to do something

> about the steps at the bottom of the slope at ED

> station, at least repainting the edges, maybe

> putting in a rail? I don't have the best eyesight,

> and I find them really dangerous, particularly

> after dark. I think it's because they're shallow

> and uneven. I'd imagine even people with good

> eyesight struggle, must be a nightmare for a lady

> in heels! Many thanks, Keith

Hi

I was not aware of this and I have checked the Control Logs and nothing reported

Sorry!

Barry

Vik Wrote:

> Just out of interest Barry, Do you know what

> happened to the dog that was on the tracks for a

> few hours on Friday?

>

> Last I saw, 2 men (possibly Network Rail) tried to

> coax him but he panicked and legged it back

> towards ED station, hope he is ok, he was very

> scared!

Dear Mr. SMBJones,

You may remember that I told you of my cynical hubbie who thought you were having us all on with a massive April Fools. Well, he went to inspect ED station today and, as a result of this inspection, has asked me to report that he is amazed at what you have achieved with the extra bins, the extra seats and how clean it all looks etc. etc.!!! Good on you Mr. SMBJones!

Now to the real reason for this posting, has Sophiesofa retracted her offer yet?! I am waiting very patiently!

Keef

Very sorry but due to the rain today my team are unable to highlight the steps at ED, I have asked them to try tomorrow

Regards

Barry

Keef Wrote:

> Hi Barry, only just seen this thread, and haven't

> read all 4 pages, so sorry if I'm repeating a

> request. Would it be possible to do something

> about the steps at the bottom of the slope at ED

> station, at least repainting the edges, maybe

> putting in a rail? I don't have the best eyesight,

> and I find them really dangerous, particularly

> after dark. I think it's because they're shallow

> and uneven. I'd imagine even people with good

> eyesight struggle, must be a nightmare for a lady

> in heels! Many thanks, Keith

Ladymuck Wrote:

> Now to the real reason for this posting, has

> Sophiesofa retracted her offer yet?! I am waiting

> very patiently!

Hands off Ladymuck. SMBJ and I have PM'd on the subject and the possibility of Cilla needing to buy a new hat has not been ruled out yet.

Oh pooh and double-poohs! I have meekly retreated behind you in the queue Sophiesofa...I assumed (being a Lady and all) my station might permit my Ladyship to queue-jump. It just goes to show that One should never assume - no matter what One's position.

But, who the bloody-hell is "Cilla"!!!??? Unless she is the Queen of the Railways, then she is definitely behind me!!!!

Sorry admin...couldn't resist.