Recent Music Purchases

Dr Proctor

What are people rocking out, getting down, or generally grooving to in East Dulwich ?

Does anyone actually pay for their music nowadays ? I'm a records man myself, and have just taken delivery of some beauties.....

Neil Young - Live at Canterbury Hall 1968, This is to lovely for my words.......

Sigur Ros - Von, Their first album only now available on vinyl, haven't had a listen yet but i have high hopes.

Radiohead - Live in Germnany 2001, nice mix of the old prog and their experimental stuff.

UK - UK, dodgy prog.

Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues, not their best but it only cost me a quid in a charity shop.

Mockney, if you loved the new Bill Callahan album (and who wouldn't), download his contribution on the Kath Bloom tribute album too, very lovely. The new Rapheal Saadiq record is good as well, his performance on Jools last week was a breath of fresh air, tho' the Jay Z rap is rather clumsy. Still waiting for the new Spectrum Ep to arrive from 'merica.

No probs, I like to follow 'The breeze/my baby cries' (the Bill/Kath song) with 'Our dog is getting older now' by Jonathan Richman' and 'Big 'ol bug is the new baby now' by the Flaming Lips on the 'Colours are brighter' lp to create a lovely doggie themed trilogy. Talking of Jonathan Richman, his newie 'a que venimos sino a caer' is quite brilliant, also enjoying the Chatham Singers 'Ju Ju Claudias' as well as the blindingly brilliant Super Furry Animal's 'Dark days/Light years'.

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilions defo my fave album of the moment (can seem a bit 'chanty' on first listen but will take you places if you stick with it (PM me for sampler). If you like Beta Band / Polyphonic Spree la la la where's this going? vibe this is for you.

Otherwise mostly old and 'selective taste' dodgy Krautrock and Prog stuff but love Holy F*ck (youtube lovely allen), BlackMoth Super Rainbow and Wooden Shjips. Who else? - finding new music gets harder as you get older!

Enough - [hangs head in shame from realisation of dad-rock tastes]

Eagles of Death Metal - Death by Sexy and Heart On

Pete Molinari - A Virtual Landslide

Gomez - A New Tide, only listened through twice and liking it so far

Banksy, I've heard Pulse by Holy F*ck and liked it. Does the rest of their stuff carry on in the same vein? Might well puchase!

beef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

"and 'Big 'ol bug is the new baby now' by the Flaming Lips, on the 'Colours are brighter" Is this a compilation ? the track was originally on Zaireeka. :)-D

"blindingly brilliant Super Furry Animal's 'Dark days/Light years". I have to agree with you here. This is surely their best lp in 10 years, fantastic to have them back after a couple of poor (by their standards) records

It certainly does Doc and I was lucky enough to go to one of the nights at Ronnie Scott's when it was recorded.

Just been out and bought the new P J Harvey & John Parish CD A Man Walked By and The Handsome Family's latest Honey Moon.

dr proctor wrote

"and 'Big 'ol bug is the new baby now' by the Flaming Lips, on the 'Colours are brighter" Is this a compilation ? the track was originally on Zaireeka.

Yes, it's a comp. I've only listened to Zaireeka once, with the four cd players lined up and so on, tho' i believe you can get the songs as b sides from the Soft Bulletin singles.

Love the Condor Fncks album Fnckbook too, it's yo la tengo playing covers, lound and noisy, fast and punky, recorded live in a single burst.