Padlocks On The Cherry Tree Pub

Zak

And one where you can get a good pint for under ?4. Or certainly no more than ?4.

I'm still getting over my brief visit to The Palmerston last Sunday evening. If I am buying 2 pints, I want pretty much ?2 back from a tenner, not 20p.

And my pint (Meantime) wasn't very nice either.

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Mick Mac Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > what's it going to be next - anyone know? thx

>

> A pub. Hopefully, a successful one that doesn't

> scare off too many of the locals.

buggar - I was hoping for another cinema.

Otta Wrote:

> And one where you can get a good pint for under

> ?4. Or certainly no more than ?4.

If you are ever over Ealing way, drop into the bar at Questors Theatre, open every evening. ?2.40/?2.70 for a guest ale, ?3.30 for Kronenburg and ?2.10 for a G&T. That's two pints and 20p change from a fiver!

Dropping into a 'normal' pub comes as a bit of a shock, now.

The Questors bar's other claim to fame is that this scene was filmed there:

There are some cheaper beers around in some pubs, as discussed on EDF before - what you wont get in ED these days is a cheap pub.

I think ?4+ is the norm now I'm afraid. its ?5 you need to worry about, as I suspect that's around the corner. Buying two pints and not being sure if a tenner will cover it is not too far away I suspect.

Jah Lush Wrote:

> Here you go Mick.

>

> http://www.daviscofferlyons.co.uk/news/detail/east

> -dulwich-double-for-davis-coffer-lyons/1117#.VZacf

> ZVRGM9

thank you Jah.

"The Cherry Tree acquisition takes Redcomb Pub?s estate to 14."

the other pubs in the "chain" look good. You can even become a "local"

Benefits for becoming a ?LOCAL?

A complimentary "welcome drink" when you collect your card at the Village Inn (after 10th September).*

A monthly ?30 bar tab to be won each month.

A bottomless tea or coffee pot (after you have finished your first one)

A birthday treat (a glass of Prosecco or a bottle when dining with 4 friends)

Priority invitations to events, offers and promotions throughout the year.

*A pint of draught beer/lager/cider, 275/330ml bottle of premium lager, a 175ml glass of wine by the glass, a bottle of J2O or Mineral Water or a glass of draught Pepsi, Diet Pepsi or Lemonade.

Alan Medic Wrote:

> At one point the pub was doing really well until the

> interference of the owner.

Indeed, there's definitely potential.

Although at that time itnwas doing well mainly off of a young crowd (of which I was one for a while). I'm not sure how.many mid 20s with cash to piss up the wall, are still living in ED.

Otta Wrote:

> Alan Medic Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > At one point the pub was doing really well until

> the

> > interference of the owner.

>

>

>

> Indeed, there's definitely potential.

>

> Although at that time itnwas doing well mainly off

> of a young crowd (of which I was one for a while).

> I'm not sure how.many mid 20s with cash to piss up

> the wall, are still living in ED.

If you mean the Antonia and her husband time (can't remember his name, sorry - Chris?) then I went there frequently and I'm deffo not part of a "young crowd", sadly :))

But maybe you mean earlier than that?

Alan Medic Wrote:

> They are spending ?400k to refurb the place. I just wonder what

> ?400k is going to do that good management can't.

Flock wallpaper, flock dining chairs, the obligatory blackboard "Try trendy craft beer today!, Sunday roasts!" , a half hearted twitter account and Sky TV.

It would be nice to think that some of the ?400k would be being spent on proper market research to determine (a) who the addressable customers are (i.e. living locally, using ED station, visiting the football etc., perhaps) - and what the various needs of these customers might be. A 'product' could then be designed to meet those needs, ideally offering some unique selling points that competitor venues didn't have. Then spend the remainder of the ?400k to create a suitable 'shell' in which the products could be delivered and the needs met. If you don't know who your customers will be (obviously the existing customer base is not sufficient to operate commercially) what their needs are and how best these can be met, spending a random ?400k on a re-furb. will be a pretty pointless waste of money.

What about a good selection of sport.

A good selection of Ales and some reasonably priced food.

A Pub atmosphere with nice bar staff.

Designated areas. Outside space .

A function room

Something like the tried and tested EDT

Which is already on offer within easy walking distance, and has, presumably, a reasonably loyal clientele. If you want to sell a 'me too' product then you must make sure that the market can carry it (there are sufficient customers who would like to, but can't, use the EDT) and that your offer is at least as good as, and preferably better than, the incumbent. 'Better' may be an issue of price, quality or innovation - but if you can't offer a competitive advantage then why should customers not (continue) to choose the tried and tested product (i.e The EDT)?