street party

For the past two years Abby and team did a great job organising the Upland Road street party and this year little 'ole me has taken on the crown. Local councillors including Richard Thomas have been most helpful and supportive. In fact they have said they would support us by covering the cost of making the legal order enabling the road to be closed, which Southwark News have agreed to publish free of charge - saving us ?350. We just have to stump up ?210 for insurance, fair enough.

Helpful info here: http://www.streetparty.org.uk/

More info re the Upland Road street party to follow in the 'What's on' section soon.

BQC Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Speak to the organisers of the Upland Road street

> party - it's an annual event and a lovely day

> out.. sorry, not sure who the main man/woman is..

Do you have to show a utilities bill to gain entry?

We're planning a street party as part of the Big Lunch on Cornflower Terrace. We haven't got as far as the full on planning stage yet - we've just put little notes through people's doors and are waiting for responses before getting sorted.

The Big Lunch organisers have said that they've contacted all of the councils and asked them to coopoerate for the day by allowing people to close roads, etc. I suspect some of it will depend on the size of your road as to whether you'll have difficulties or not.

We're hoping that everyone will contribute something rather than having to 'charge' people, but that won't necessarily take account of the cost of things other than food and entertainment...

I'd love to do this, it sounds great! Do you have to be from that street or can it be held on a street but different areas are allowed to join in? We're on Derwent Grove and friends on Melbourne Grove and Oxonian Street - we'd all be up for it. Apparently, according to the Big Lunch website, there's one happening on Colwell Road and off Melbourne Grove the other side too. But so far just 2 attendees... It's such a fantastic idea - they used to hold them for coronations etc. Who's in for my area? We can use the power of EDF to organise this!

Hi TarahC,

There's no reason you can't invite friends from other streets. The main purpose behind The Big Lunch is for everyone to get to know each other, so certainly invite current friends, but make some new ones too with the people in your street.

The benefits should be brilliant - from better neighbourhood watch, to someone to look after the cats, keep a spare set of keys, let you grow veg in their garden or just say hello to when you're walking down the street. A great example someone I worked with on The Big Lunch gave was that on her street, all her neighbours know where the key is to her shed and so they can all share the garden tools. They all know each other so there's no chance of them going missing, but it's better for the environment (and a hell of a lot cheaper) because they don't have to buy 6 lawnmowers, sets of shears etc etc.

I'm really excited about it, although clearly biased given that I worked on the campaign launch. Hopefully on the day, google earth are going to get images of all the street parties going on, and I reckon ED will do us proud - it should be quite a sight.

???? Wrote:

> Hope it ends up like the rave they used to have at

> the end of Camberwell Arts week in that courtyard

> behind Seymours....as long as it's not in

> Fellbrigg........

Do you mean in the old DHSS building on Peckham High Street?

That sounded quite legendary, for a few months in the early 90s.

snorky Wrote:thebiglunch.com

> I am alos local to every street party being

> discussed and would be interested in coming along

> to cane your drinks table

More power to your elbow - you can come to mine every day of the week.

The rest of you, have you thought about throwing your own street parties? (or check on the big lunch to see if someone's already throwing one on your street and join in - if they're not, start one up)

The street party on Grove Park for the jubilee way back when is what made Lettsom Gardens possible (which was going to become a council estate). It's a great way to bring community together.

Maybe we could all claim the cost of closing the roads down on expenses and invoice Mr Brown. :P

JJ

Hi - -I'm trying to organise the one on Bellenden Road, but haven't been very successful in getting things off the ground. Have spoken to a couple of shopkeepers and neighbours who are keen, though. As the road is quite long, I feel like all I can take on is my own end of it -- anyone want to pitch in and help? Happy to host a meeting to discuss. PM me if interested, and/or join the facebook site (search Bellenden Big Luncb) -- the Big Lunch site was, sadly, quite rubbish for functionality.

East Dulwich SNUB were looking in to organising a big lunch for Dulwich. We would ideally like to close Lordship Lane down. However the logistics seem to be a nightmare, Plus Southwark Council have confirmed we cannot close a main road down for a day or even a afternoon. Funnily enough though Notting hill seems to do it annually.

If you have any more thoughts about a street party on Lordship Lane guys, then lets brain storm. We may have missed the Community council fund, but there are other funds available.

Big Lunch- Street party for East Dulwich is a great idea, lets do something about it.!!!:)-D

HeidiHi, if you go to the big lunch website you can search for the nearest ones to you and join one of those.

Don't know what end of Lordship Lane you are, but from the looks of things, there's one on Colwell Road and another on a road that begins with B (but the marker's covering it so I don't know which road that is)