Souvlaki Street - North Cross Road Market

Imply, infer. Still doesn't change the fact that of the glut of street food vendors out there, of which there are many, this one isn't the best, in terms of taste or value. A few bits of overly salted meat and some slices of raw red onion...great.... Tried and tasted and wasn't impressed. Plenty more to choose from in the market anyway so no problems there.

aidan_k Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Imply, infer. Still doesn't change the fact that

> of the glut of street food vendors out there, of

> which there are many, this one isn't the best, in

> terms of taste or value. A few bits of overly

> salted meat and some slices of raw red

> onion...great.... Tried and tasted and wasn't

> impressed. Plenty more to choose from in the

> market anyway so no problems there.

So you are saying you do not agree with the original poster, where are the best Greek souvlaki wraps in that case?

On a Saturday morning amble down LL and Northcross Road oddly enough I'm not looking for the (subjectively) 'best' Souvlaki in London! I'm happy with what is there. Sometimes I'll go to Dogfather as I love their stuff as well (and love chatting with them) or to the Vietnamese place - even though I'm sure I could leave the local area and the kids behind and travel a few miles across London and find something marginally 'better' or more 'authentic'.

But so what? I'm in LL area and having a relaxing pleasant morning - the last thing I want to do is trek somewhere. Aidan, you can stick to Google and travelling if you like. Each to their own.

civilservant Wrote:

> I have been asked by my spies to say" The souvlaki

> I had wasn't that great it was a bit boring as it

> was only really halloumi and they forgot about my

> order"

"A bit boring" is how I would describe what I had, as well :(

I actually wondered if my taste buds were affected by hay fever or something :(

However, it was a zillion times better than the so-called "souvlaki" I had at the Peckham Christmas Fair or whatever it was called (the open air one), which was so awful I threw most of it away, even though I was hungry.

Different people, thankfully.

ETA: If memory serves, that included some kind of reconstituted meat, YUK

Hi guys

My name is Evi and I am one of the two 'Souvlaki Street' stall partners that you have been chatting about. It is very helpful for us to read your comments, good and bad as they help us improve out recipes so thanks a lot for taking the time!

I would like to reply to Aidan K who wrote that your souvlaki is not 'authentic' and only contains meat and raw onions. As an authentic Greek myself I can assure you that our pitta is traditional greek, the yoghurt is Mevgal, the olive oil comes from Kalamata and the oregano is from my village in Crete. The rest of our ingredients (meat and salad) are locally sourced from suppliers in London (Smithfields meat market and Spitafieleds)

Also you should know that our souvlaki -since you claim to have had it- does not only contain meat and onions.

So please, if you are going to leave your opinion about our food (or anything for what matters) make it a well informed one.

Taste is something subjective but your review is based on objective inaccuracies.

Well done evip. All new Dulwich enterprises have to run the edf gauntlet of supporters and detractors. Don't be deterred.

I repeat, it smelled fantastic and of more than mere meat and onion. I will be doing the taste test very soon.

καλή τύχη

Well (and politely) said Evi. I will be joining the long queue of satisfied customers again this weekend. I doubt Aidan has even tried them - or if he has, his taste buds evidently seem unable to distinguish between ingredients ('authentic' or otherwise)!

Agreed. But I'm a bit sceptical about (1) people like aidan who register on EDF so that their first post is to slag off a local business and (2) someone making a sweeping statement suggesting something is no good because it is not 'authentic' (whatever that means). Otherwise, of course people are entitled to like or dislike different foods (unless they are my kids of course).

robbin Wrote:

> Agreed. But I'm a bit sceptical about (1) people

> like aidan who register on EDF so that their first

> post is to slag off a local business

Ah, I'd missed that. Yes, very sus.

An authenticity bore on a neighbouring table took the shine off my first meal at The Begging Bowl when it first opened. Put a sock in it! I don't care how well you know they place! And stop reading out the names of the dishes with that oh-so authentic pronunciation and accent.. you sound like a plonker!

Anyway, it was delicious.

I get the the souvlakis all the time and think they are excellent.

The fact that it is busy most of the time speaks volumes.

I have also been to Greece multiple times and they seem pretty authentic to me.

Keep up the good work Souvlaki team!