What is East Dulwich reading?

gallinello

Townleygreen and Jah you have good taste in books, I'm def going to read the follow-up to Kite Runner :)

Stopped readng irvine welsh after ecstasy for some reason but the food and sex one sounds like it would be an interesting read.

We never got Dickens at school either and I vaguely remember trying to read The Pickwick Papers, maybe I chose the wrong one. I might give him another try now I'm a lot older.

If you're new to Dickens,I suggest reading him backwards i.e. start with Great Expectations or Our Mutual Friend and then work back through Bleak House and A Tale of Two Cities. Pickwick Papers is hard to read now - it's dated badly and sags all over the place.

I find Stieg Larsson over-rated for the same reason (don't all shout at once!). Good stories but there is so much boring and unnecessary detail - a decent editor would have taken a vigorous blue pencil to his manuscripts.

If you're after a good Scandi thriller, try something by Hakan Nesser or Arnaldur Indridason instead.

Am with you on the Larsson meh reaction.

The first one was intriguing enough and clearly benefitted from a decent editor, the follow ups were pretty awful. Were they published posthumously? That might explain why they were so much flabbier (and sillier).

what did you think?

I rather enjoyed it.

I was born into Franco's Madrid and have seen it change dramatically over the years.

I did like that it picked an unfashionable period/place in history, it was wonderfully evocative and really caught the nature of 'el olvido' very well.

I quite liked it, and yes, wonderfully evocative. I also liked his (her?) Matthew Shardlake novels to begin with, but just couldn't be doing with the latest - Heartstone - talk about superfluous detail and contrived plot!

Fred Vargas and Commissaire Adamsberg, anyone? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Vargas - each one of her books is quirky, completement French and delicieux! I think John at Chener stocks them

well! Jah Lush, Catriona, hats off to both of you! I should have done my research first - see http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200159/history_of_southwark/1020/dickens_southwark/1

"In Great Expectations, Dickens indicates that Camberwell was a more genteel place to live as '...anyone who could lay claim to an acquaintance with people of rank and title had a sure passport to the table of the Maldertons who lived at Oak Lodge, Camberwell'

In the southern tip of the present day borough, Dickens was a regular visitor of the Dulwich Club which used to meet at The Greyhound in Dulwich Village, which stood opposite the site of the present Crown & Greyhound. Dickens is also known to have rented a house, under the pseudonym Charles Tringham, for himself and his mistress Ellen Ternan in Linden Grove, Nunhead between 1868 and his death in 1870.

In the Pickwick Papers, Dickens describes the wedding of Mr Snodgrass and Emily Wardle at a 'Dulwich Church', after which the wedding party was said to have returned to Mr Pickwick's for the wedding breakfast. 'The house I have taken,' said Mr Pickwick, 'is at Dulwich. It has a large garden, and is situated in one of the most pleasant spots near London.'

Dulwich remains much as Mr Pickwick describes it, an almost rural retreat in the middle of the urban sprawl of London, where he was seen 'contemplating the pictures in the Dulwich Gallery, or enjoying a walk about the pleasant neighbourhood....' There is even a Pickwick Cottage in College Road that is commonly thought to be the house that Dickens was thinking of when describing Mr Pickwick's retirement idyll at the end of the book"

For other localish settings, George Gissing's "In the year of Jubilee" is set around the top end of Camberwell during a Jubilee year. It's not the best of his novels, by some way, and he wasn't the best of novelists. But it's not entirely unreadable, especially if you're fond of ham-fisted victoriana.

I doubt the political burden of it will impress many, though parts of it might strike a few delightful nerves. Gissing was fond of portraying misery, but wasn't in the business of campaigning against it, which might look a bit exploitative in these more censorious times, at least to those unfamiliar with daytime telly. On the other hand, being mostly mired in misery himself and not, apparently, one to easily forget a grudge, there's a plausibly autobiographical pretext for his unfashionable opinions.

Anyway, bollocks to all this high brow rubbish.

If, like me, you enjoy a page turner thriller on the train to work, I recommend Linwood Barclay. Found his first novel for 40p at a book stall, really enjoyed it, and am approaching the end of his second, which I've also enjoyed a lot.

Bollocks indeed. (Though G.Expectations is the best Dickens by far.)

Don't read this on public transport or you will come across as a loon:

Mystery Man by Colin Bateman.

Set in Belfast, a Crime Bookshop owner becomes a private eye by default. He is in the usual heroic mould: borderline autistic, an agoraphobic, hypochondriac virgin.

It is very silly but fun to read.

civilservant Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> well! Jah Lush, Catriona, hats off to both of you!

> I should have done my research first - see

> http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200159/history_of

> _southwark/1020/dickens_southwark/1

Thanks. I also believe he mentions The Grove House Tavern (it's called something else now, can't remember what) at the bottom of Camberwell Grove in A Tale Of Two Cities but gives it a different name.

• 1 month later...