> /fantasy or horror but don't know where to start

> (or are afraid to ask you saddo!!) then this handy

> flow chart might help

> http://www.box.net/shared/static/a6omcl2la0ivlxsn3

> o8m.jpg

>

> http://flowingdata.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/

> Books-partial-954x624.png

That's all well and good Mockers, but do any of them come with the kind of dust jacket that don't make you look like a 45 year old computer programmer who lives in his mum's basement?

Simple, take the fly leaf cover from this...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Bq5axqTAy_4/ThGY-OEJ_eI/AAAAAAAAC0Y/_MYrMsEyPd4/s1600/odyssey1.jpg

...wrap it around your novelette of choice and you can read anything unobserved - including modern fantasy classics like this...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/166/346052293_66cd5ce765.jpg

StraferJack Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I too wondered what was wrong with being 45 or a

> computer programmer

Nowt wrong with that young 'un - it's the combination of both of the above with living in your mum's basement...

Actually maxxi, have just noticed (how could I have missed?) the very fabulous Killer Dyke book cover, and believe me, if I owned a copy of that, I'd turn it into a dust jacket to cover my every read. It's ossom.

However, I am reading Skippy Dies, which I am loving. Although the stuff on M theory means little to me, rather like same on the science thread. The hwever book made me want to go away and read about M theory, as it sounded interesting. The science thread has made me not want to.

• 3 months later...

Have just finished The Psycopath Test by Jon Ronson, a very personal, if typically lighthearted and self-deprecating, journey into madness.

It kicks off with the interesting idea that maybe society is so awful because it's psycopaths who inevitable rise to the top and they don't give a shit about anyone but their own egos.

Instantly compellingly plausible but never satisfactorily pursued.

Regardless it was very enjoyable, and that rare thing actually unputdownable as I ripped through it in two sessions!

Ping for borrowage if it sounds your thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that PGC, I am going to try that book out (tu)

Has anyone read the Kite Runner by Khaled Hossaini (yes, yes I know it was also a film - I haven't seen that either)

This book has been sitting around my house for ages and I finally got around to reading it. It begins in 1970s Afghanistan and is a fascinating insight into the people and culture although the story is more about universal themes of friendship/betrayal. I really enjoyed it although it was incredibly sad too.

As it's the bicentennial of his birth I too am just about to read a Dickens, (not read one for ages)..Hard Times (seems somehow apt).

Just finished 'Morning Everyone' by Simon Hughes - a good read if you like cricket/cricket commentators.

I've only read Great Expectations of his, a little while back (we never did Dickens at school), and was amazed by how fresh and modern it felt compared to the fustiness of other victorian /pre war writers. Great Stuff.

Am just finishing Just My Type, a history and commentary on Fonts, the whys and wherefores and how they pervade our lives.

Surprisingly interesting stuff and done lightheartedly enough that it only veers occasionally into design freak onanism.

And now I notice fonts EVERYWHERE!!!!!