William Rose

Grizelda

They have a variety of chicken, including free range I think. I bought the family pack, it was awesome and the meat quality is amazing. Had two chicken roasts in a row! Try boiling couple lemons for 12mins, stuff, oil and season...yum!

I have only had good friendly customer service and brilliant quality meat from WR butchers. They have tons of young (and lovely mature!)friendly employees, people have off days remember!

Never had any complaints in WR. Service can be a little rushed on busy weekend days but that's understandable. Meat has almost always been very good, and most things are reasonable value.

But we live closer to Flock and Herd these days, so normally use that instead.

I'll vouch for the family box: it certainly 'feels' like good value for ?20. They pick the items that make-up the "box" (it's a plastic bag actually) individually from the counter in front of you so it's not some kind of inferior option to what they'd sell separately. It's equivalent in price - or maybe slightly cheaper - than buying the same items at a local supermarket.

Pugwash Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We got a medium chicken, 4 chicken fillets, 8

> sausages, pound of mince and 2 pork fillets for

> ?24.99 at our daughter's butcher near Worthing

> last week.

Well done?

A bit far to be relevant for this thread though. I get competitively priced meat when I am in Spain...

Was in W.R. recently..

Bought some chicken.. and some bacon..

The person serving me handled the chicken.. (No plastic Gloves but that would not of made any difference.)

Then picked up a big pile of bacon rashers and separated what I wanted and put the rest back..

Cross contamination ??? Basic hygiene ?? Not a one off..

Lack of training...

Its a joke..

DulwichFox

Quite often see on TV, chefs handling raw meat and then proceeding to chop up veg, handle serving plates etc without washing their hands. I'm quite fussy about cross-contamination after seeing someone at Uni get rushed to hospital after eating celery he'd chopped up with the same knife he'd used on raw chicken...

Jeremy Wrote:

> Yeah but... handling different types of raw meat

> with the same gloves. Is that really an issue?

> It's all going to get cooked (genuine question, I

> am not particularly clued up about this stuff).

In my case is was Chicken and bacon that would both be cooked.

I doubt if had it been ham anything would of been different.

And the bacon put back in the window would continue to grow any bacteria which could be transferred

by the purchaser when they handled it at home.

It's just bad practice and does not inspire confidence.

Foxy.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Was in W.R. recently..

>

> Bought some chicken.. and some bacon..

>

> The person serving me handled the chicken.. (No

> plastic Gloves but that would not of made any

> difference.)

> Then picked up a big pile of bacon rashers and

> separated what I wanted and put the rest back..

>

> Cross contamination ??? Basic hygiene ?? Not a

> one off..

>

> Lack of training...

>

> Its a joke..

>

> DulwichFox

Cross contamination from raw meat to raw meat ??? how, and if they used plastic Gloves do you want them to use new ones evey time ie you buy chicken = 1 pair then bacon =1 pair the mince =1 pair, how many pairs of plastic Gloves do you think the shop will need a week, and the cost ?? we never had this years ago

ken78 Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Was in W.R. recently..

> >

> > Bought some chicken.. and some bacon..

> >

> > The person serving me handled the chicken..

> (No

> > plastic Gloves but that would not of made any

> > difference.)

> > Then picked up a big pile of bacon rashers and

> > separated what I wanted and put the rest back..

>

> >

> > Cross contamination ??? Basic hygiene ?? Not

> a

> > one off..

> >

> > Lack of training...

> >

> > Its a joke..

> >

> > DulwichFox

>

>

> Cross contamination from raw meat to raw meat ???

> how, and if they used plastic Gloves do you want

> them to use new ones evey time ie you buy chicken

> = 1 pair then bacon =1 pair the mince =1 pair, how

> many pairs of plastic Gloves do you think the shop

> will need a week, and the cost ?? we never had

> this years ago

Don't be silly.. These gloves are worn in all such establishments.. Supermarkets..

This is to protect the counter staff from handling with bare hands..

It is usual to use tongs to handle bacon / ham ..

Also handling money and then food is another no no..

Most sandwich bars in the city have a separate person to take money..

It's simple basic hygiene ...

..and years ago we were generally unaware of such hygiene problems..

Foxy

Fox, the meat will cross contaminate when sat next to each other in the counter. I can't think of a local butcher who uses tongs to pick up bacon but I nor can I think of one that wouldnt wash their hands (or put on clean gloves) to handle cooked meat after having handled raw meat: that is basic hygiene.

Can't vouch for WR but other butchers don't handle raw meat and money with the same hands: they are particular about using one for meat and one for money. After getting both dirty (eg when cutting a large bit of meat) they'll wash their hands before handling money.

To be honest I have seen plenty of sandwich shops that handle money and food together and yes that is in theory a problem as you are going to eat immediately, but then you handled the money and then get given your sandwich so really what is the difference? I know its not best practice but think I would be more concerned about the general hygiene and food storage of the shop

When it comes to raw meat though are you honestly telling me that any germs on the money are going to survive a cooking at 180 degrees??

I'm a big fan of WR, I think their meat is well priced, good quality and service is fantastic. Okay judging by the OP maybe a few new staff still need training or you might catch one on an off day but we are all human so you can't always expect the very very best

I have been using them for a number of years now and will continue to do so, you get a far better produce than anything in a supermarket, the animal welfare is almost certainly better and you will get someone in there who will tell you the best way to cook it etc...

DulwichFox Wrote:

> ken78 Wrote:

> -----

> > DulwichFox Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > Was in W.R. recently..

> > >

> > > Bought some chicken.. and some bacon..

> > >

> > > The person serving me handled the chicken..

> > (No

> > > plastic Gloves but that would not of made any

> > > difference.)

> > > Then picked up a big pile of bacon rashers

> and

> > > separated what I wanted and put the rest

> back..

> >

> > >

> > > Cross contamination ??? Basic hygiene ??

> Not

> > a

> > > one off..

> > >

> > > Lack of training...

> > >

> > > Its a joke..

> > >

> > > DulwichFox

> >

> >

> > Cross contamination from raw meat to raw meat

> ???

> > how, and if they used plastic Gloves do you

> want

> > them to use new ones evey time ie you buy

> chicken

> > = 1 pair then bacon =1 pair the mince =1 pair,

> how

> > many pairs of plastic Gloves do you think the

> shop

> > will need a week, and the cost ?? we never had

> > this years ago

>

> Don't be silly.. These gloves are worn in all

> such establishments.. Supermarkets..

> This is to protect the counter staff from

> handling with bare hands..

>

> It is usual to use tongs to handle bacon / ham ..

>

>

> Also handling money and then food is another no

> no..

>

> Most sandwich bars in the city have a separate

> person to take money..

>

> It's simple basic hygiene ...

>

> ..and years ago we were generally unaware of such

> hygiene problems..

>

>

> Foxy

come on foxy you never said anything about ham, looks like you are just nitpicking and a lot of supermarkets don't use these gloves.and if they do, do you think that they put clean ones on evey time, i know they don't next time just stand and watch them. and how about the butcher that cuts the meat should he use the plastic Gloves would be very dangerous making the meat slip around and with sharp knives. all the laws about the sell by dates and so called basic hygiene was not around years ago and i think we had less food poisoning then. i know people wash fresh chickens but you should never wash any meat.did you know that foxy.