William Rose

Grizelda

Dodo1 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The Butchery in Forest Hill-opposite sainsbury's

> and they're open on Sunday's.

The Butchery are great, really friendly, helpful and a small but excellent selection of meat.

Would definitely go there rather than WR.

I believe that the owners are ex Ginger Pig.

The owner of Flock and Herd on Bellenden Road is definitely ex Ginger Pig. Don't know about the Butchery. Flock and Herd have tasty sausages.

NewWave Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Dodo1 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The Butchery in Forest Hill-opposite

> sainsbury's

> > and they're open on Sunday's.

>

>

> The Butchery are great, really friendly, helpful

> and a small but excellent selection of meat.

> Would definitely go there rather than WR.

> I believe that the owners are ex Ginger Pig.

I don't know if anyone else has made my mistake and thought that the meat at William Rose is organic, free range or both. A long while ago, I decided to try their meat. I asked if all their meat was organic and was told that only the trays in the display with specific labels were organic or free range. Only one tray had an organic label. However I decided that their meat should be good quality, so I ordered a whole bladebone (featherblade) to collect in a few days time. I was so disappointed with the meat when I cooked it. It's usually meltingly tender when it's braised, with a rich flavour, but the William Rose meat was tough and with very little taste. And, I had a whole bladebone to use up! Not been back since.

phobic3000 Wrote:

------------------------------------------------------

>

> I agree its rude not to even acknowledge a

> customer but if Grizelda had simply asked if they

> were still serving maybe he or she would have been

> served. Maybe they were really busy cleaning up

> and assumed, wrongly, that the customer would

> interact with them. Poor customer service.

>

She probably got fed up waiting. The whole point of customer service is to serve the customer. My point still stands - it was their responsibility to say something.

> "Customer service in this country really is the

> worst in the English-speaking world."

>

> Really? I think you're shopping in the wrong

> places.

Indeed I am - places in the UK. There are exceptions of course, but the customer service level really is woeful compared to others, as has been nicely exemplified by an earlier post from someone in the retail industry. It just doesn't compare to places like the US and Australia on the whole.

The customer service in this shop was poor. But to generalise and say that customer service in this country is woeful compared to US and Oz is wrong IMO. I'm generally very happy with the level of customer service I get in most places I shop in.

Apart from Iceland. They're always cold in there. Boom boom.

• 2 months later...

Used to think this was great. Getting frustrated by poor service and, I suppose, effectively lying by the staff.

Few weeks ago went in and asked for 2 kebabs. Changed my mind a minute later and asked if they could make it three. "Yes no problem". Something told me she hadn't bothered so I double checked. Yes she said. Got home - 2 kebabs.

Today. Different girl. Can I have skin on, bone out chicken thighs please. Yes. So that's skin on but bone out. Yes. Get home - no skin.

Not sure what the problem is but maybe too lazy to do something that's not available to go. I don't know if others have experienced the same but if something is really important to your recipe I would check the bag before you leave the shop.

Wow. Never had a problem there at all and think the service and meat at WR is excellent and I really do not think it is pricey ? I can easily walk out with a weeks worth of meat for under ?20 (and I am a big meat eater!). The queue moves very rapidly and I do not think I have ever spent longer than 5 minutes in the queue (I really hate queuing ). I must admit I do not really get the walking into a shop and being silent waiting for 9 people to serve you when there is obviously no one else in the shop. You do not need them to beckon you forward and spoon feed you through the (uncomplicated) process of buying food. Just walk up and speak to them!!! Maybe they thought you were just being awkward and undecided about whether you wanted to buy anything or not.

BTW I also second the recommendations for the butcher at the Plough!!

I meant dinners only (as i am at work during the day) but now that you ask...A whole roast chicken , 6 sausages, 1 pack of bacon, 4 burgers, 500g mince (for spagetti Bol), 4 Chicken fillets. - The Family pack i think its called?

More than happy to get it for you but will charge you a delivery cost depending where you are. :p

How much would that cost at Sainsbury's?