William Rose v Rye Lane

I'm not a snob nor am I ignorant, just being realistic. Some of you have obviously not walked by some of those filth havens in Rye Lane early in the morning have you? I have seen the shutters come up early in the morning and vermin run from UNDERNEATH them - me not shopping there isnt just to do with my complete dislike for the state the area is now in, but also for my health. I also disagree that public or environmental health services do much about the conditions down there. I have smelt butchers in Borough Market and other places and I agree it can smell quite disgusting, but the smells coming out of Peckham are verging on something a lot more dubious. The argument you make about people still shopping there is a load of cack as well lenk, of course they still shop there, it is primarily because of the type of produce sold and the fact that similar butchers cannot be found for a fair few miles around, this still does not mean that because they are still open that we should all trust the food they sell.

Two words, effing filthy, spring to mind.

Louisa.

sophiesofa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Having witnessed a butcher on rye lane unload raw

> chicken directly into a shopping trolley in the

> rain then push it up the high street to his shop I

> certainly wouldn't buy meat from any of them.

Yea that RAIN will kill you every time!

Louisa Wrote:

>

> Two words, effing filthy, spring to mind.

>

All butchers were once like the ones in Peckham and our parents and grandparents didn?t die of food poisoning.

I haven?t heard of any local poisoning problems NO great Peckham meat disease or other local meat problem?

I?m sure if there were a problem then Council would have closed down the shops?

Food hygiene is one area Southwark are competent in.

sophiesofa Wrote:

> Having witnessed a butcher on rye lane unload raw

> chicken directly into a shopping trolley in the

> rain then push it up the high street to his shop I

> certainly wouldn't buy meat from any of them.

I've said this before on here... but you've obviously never had the pleasure of a summer job in any of the major supermarket chains' warehouses, have you?

I've seen far worse than meat getting a little rain on it.

Louisa Wrote:

> I'm not a snob nor am I ignorant, just being

> realistic. Some of you have obviously not walked

> by some of those filth havens in Rye Lane early in

> the morning have you? I have seen the shutters

> come up early in the morning and vermin run from

> UNDERNEATH them - me not shopping there isnt just

> to do with my complete dislike for the state the

> area is now in, but also for my health. I also

> disagree that public or environmental health

> services do much about the conditions down there.

> I have smelt butchers in Borough Market and other

> places and I agree it can smell quite disgusting,

> but the smells coming out of Peckham are verging

> on something a lot more dubious. The argument you

> make about people still shopping there is a load

> of cack as well lenk, of course they still shop

> there, it is primarily because of the type of

> produce sold and the fact that similar butchers

> cannot be found for a fair few miles around, this

> still does not mean that because they are still

> open that we should all trust the food they sell.

>

>

> Two words, effing filthy, spring to mind.

>

> Louisa.

I shop on Rye Lane regularly - it smells like a busy shopping street full of approaching 25 different, bustling food shops to me...

This post seems to be code for 'they sell things I don't like the look of'

As thebeard says, it only takes one call to get the inspectors round - I'm pretty sure the council would have been round by now if they indeed are the typhoid-and-Dengue Fever spreading cesspits you imply.

Naz, a young Sicilian butcher at what was Spencer's on Evelina Rd in Nunhead has excellent meat. All his pork is free range and his beef is grass fed Scottish and he sells organic chicken (normal chicken too if you don't want organic). He also does some deli too, great ham on the bone and on Saturday its Sicilian sausage day (slightly spicy, gluten free as they contain no filler only pork and sold by the length!). We won't go anywhere else for our t-bone steaks or ham. The only bucher that I use on Rye Lane if I'm up there, is the Irish Butcher near Primark.

Thankyou lenk for disecting my post to reach a conclusion for some non-existant "hidden code".

Too right I dont like the look of half the crap they sell down there, that is why I dont bloody buy it. And all that b*llox about health inspectors is also a load of tosh. If they truly do the work they claim to then why is it that I see rats running amock on a regular basis down there? is everyone else blind? Obviously some people couldnt give a toss about the quality of the food they buy, hence why many of those butchers down there remain open.

Louisa.

PeckhamRose Wrote:

> Louisa is not just a snob she's ignorant.

> I have not seen behind the counters, though. They

> may be dirty there

Well done PeckhamRose for contradicting yourself in this post which I failed to notice earlier on in the thread. You clearly must have psychic powers if you can conclude that I am ignorant for believing something when you also do not have the facts either. Laughable hahaha :-S

At least I can report back that I have seen rats and most people on here agree the meat is cheap and the animal it is taken from probably had an awful life. Maybe you could check behind the counter the next time you go down there and report back to us?

Louisa.

PeckhamRose Wrote:

> Louisa is not just a snob she's ignorant. They are

> not dirty; but any smell may as mentioned above be

> due to the meat.

> I have not seen behind the counters, though. They

> may be dirty there, but I doubt it. Trading

> Standards and so on are pretty active undercover

> in Rye Lane.

Trading Standards / Sweeney Todd / Porky Pies - who is brave enough to bend under the counter at a Halal butchers????

anyone who says they are not dirty are idiots.

I saw a rat in one of the fridges in one of the butchers on Rye Lane the other month. They have a huge problem with rats and it doesnt look like they clean up properly

Frozen meat is put next to fresh;

meat and fish should not smell like that.

Southwark Council are soley to blame.

Louisa Wrote:

> Thankyou lenk for disecting my post to reach a

> conclusion for some non-existant "hidden code".

>

> Too right I dont like the look of half the crap

> they sell down there, that is why I dont bloody

> buy it. And all that b*llox about health

> inspectors is also a load of tosh. If they truly

> do the work they claim to then why is it that I

> see rats running amock on a regular basis down

> there? is everyone else blind? Obviously some

> people couldnt give a toss about the quality of

> the food they buy, hence why many of those

> butchers down there remain open.

>

> Louisa.

too right. I also feel really sorry for the people who shop there- they obviously don't see/or care about that.

The other thing is, it's not that much cheaper than supermarkets...leg of lamb is only 50p more per kilo in Waitrose

thebeard Wrote:

> sophiesofa Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Having witnessed a butcher on rye lane unload

> raw

> > chicken directly into a shopping trolley in the

> > rain then push it up the high street to his shop

> I

> > certainly wouldn't buy meat from any of them.

>

>

> Yea that RAIN will kill you every time!

No but the raw chicken on the trolley they re-use might! Of course rain won't do you any harm but I still don't think it's 'allowed'. I'm not naive when it comes to what happens to meat from field to my belly. I am guilty of pushing it to the back of my mind when I buy meat from supermarkets though. Seeing salmonella being wheeled along in a trolley first hand has put me off the butchers on the rye though and no doubt if I saw the practices of supermarkets first hand rather than just on the telly i'm sure i'd change my shopping habits.

According to this Southwark food hygeine inspection report on RYE LANE GROCERY (BUTCHER) at 12 Rye Lane - http://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk/business-detail.php?business_id=155677 - it has a better rating than William Rose on Lordship Lane - http://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk/business-detail.php?business_id=155665#

Looking at the map this 4 star establishment is at the top end of Rye Lane away from most of the other Butchers - so perhaps this is not really in the rat & trolley chicken catchment area?

Sorry, a bit off topic but does anyone remember Murray's Meat Market on Rye Lane? Not sure if they were of a better standard than today's Rye Lane butchers (too young to be interested at the time) but my mum used to shop there a lot and it seemed extremely popular back in the day. Would spend ages waiting for her and bored out of my mind as the queue was always so long.

matthew123 Wrote:

> Surely the whole of Rye Lane cannot be tarnished

> with this same dirty brush?

no, it can't. We're going off the anecdotes of 2 posters here. 2 posters with fairly poor forum track records for turning out to be correct with their assumptions

lenk thats rich coming from someone who has gone through 2 or 3 screen names in as many months after p*ssing off so many people on here, including admin? Well done you. Maybe we should all take a leaf out of your book and believe everything you say about the butchers in Peckham as you have such a superb track record on here for talking.... :))

Louisa.

On occasion, I've bought good quality fresh meat (especially lamb and goat!) from the Meat Market, a small Asian butcher at 187 Rye Lane (just north of the Post Office). There's a good English fishmonger just off Rye Lane at 26 Choumert Road (if he?s still in business). The market stalls there about offer good quality fruit and veg at very low prices.

I've bought meat and fish from several other Rye Lane outlets but was never sufficiently impressed to make a habit of it.

These days, I do most of my non-supermarket shopping at Evelina Road simply because it's convenient: two butchers, Sopers fishmonger, an excellent bakery and a fruit and veg store within a stone's throw - and easy parking.