Which road to buy on (Court lane or Woodwarde? )

if money's no object, go for one in Court Lane that back's onto the park...

However, in my opinion, the area is a bit suburban and has a rather cut off feel (far from good shops, not much life, etc.) Why don't you try looking in East Dulwich, I think it has a lot more going for it and you would get more for your money.

http://www.foxtons.co.uk/search?property_id=685022&search_form=map&search_type=SS&submit_type=search

what about this? it's a funny looking old thing, and needs a complete overhaul, but it's on a quiet road right near the heart of East Dulwich, and it looks massive...

Woodwarde is indeed a lovely road, but if I were you I'd invest my hard-earned dosh in just a few acres of land, with house of course. Preferably with at least 0.4 hectares (one acre) of woodland, but if not you can plant your own short-rotation coppice (fast-growing willow, poplar) to generate space/water heating as well as to provide heat for cooking. A masonry stove (popular in Scandinavia and Finland) would be hyper-efficient and should do all of this nicely. Install all the good insulation you can.

All this will save you no end of grief when the shit shortly hits the fan regarding energy (currently on hold owing to worldwide recession). Alternatively, if you are more community-minded, join with some others and do the same on a larger scale. Your children will thank you for it.

You could, of course, grow your veggies - and indeed keep your chickens - in Court Lane or Woodwarde, but otherwise things might be little grim a decade or two from now.

louisiana

None of that tosh is possible in se21 or se22 never mind anywhere else in the UK.

Try buying a plot of land to build a house on you?re having a laugh.

Finding a plot would be the easy bit then you?d need the planning that?d take err about 10 years then you?d need to get it build that?d take 5 years. ?+

The costs once factoring in the stress and the time not worth the effort unless it?s your life / hobby.

You?ll get a poorly built modern house in 10 ? 15 years time on a plot the size of a postage stamp in the middle of a load of &rap. If you?re lucky.

Or just do the sensible thing and buy a Victorian house which can be renovated easily at relatively low cost whilst you live in it, the extension may take a couple of years at worst if no planning is required otherwise with planning that?ll take up to 5 years + at least you?ll have somewhere to live whilst waiting.

I tried new build once would never ever ever ever EVER do it again!

It?s easy to insulate a victorian house is you need to.

Otherwise I agree ?grim a decade or two from now?

But why make it worst for your self?

I do realise you're joking. ;-)