a dulwich mum slaps her child .

daizie

I have just witnessed a middle class family, lose their temper with a three year old, in front of the general public, and slap their child round the back of the legs ! I really didnt think that happened here! I am shocked .

it was only an observation and i was bored, but, i know of them, live on the same road, and going on the conversations, they seem to think they are more clever than any one else, hehehee, i just find it quite entertaining to see the 'social veneer' slip, hehehee, ok i know its a bit wicked, but, why is it funny when serious people lose their temper?

Mick Mac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> im with daizie. Dont agree with it under any

> circumstances. And i do have children.

Mick, my time of ever slapping a child has long gone. He's now 18 and could slap me harder if necessary. However there have been a few times in the past when I'm sure I slapped him. I would make a distinction between losing the plot and teaching a lesson. The former is not acceptable but the latter has sometimes been required. Given his current age and disposition I don't think he has been harmed. Children test the boundaries by being naughty. They need to know where they are to feel secure. This probably belongs on another thread, but if I was ever to quote something he said in his youth it would be the phonecall I took at 3pm on cup final day when ManU played Millwall. He had gone to the park with a few friends who were confronted by a gang of youths. One of the friends had his Ipod stolen. My son in their retreat hid his mobile in the grass so it wouldn't be taken. The phone rang.........'Dad, there's no need to worry but.........I'm in the back of a police van.' He was taken to the station to give a statement as the gang were caught by a phonecall made to the police by one of the girls he was with. Mick, if can get through their childhoods without ever slapping them (or your partner) then you must be congratulated. As for Daizie starting the thread due to boredom.......haven't you found a boyfriend yet to occupy you?

When I was a child there was nothing that I feared more than being told off by mother. Therefore I generally behaved. I was smacked as child (not regularly as I soon learnt my lesson) and don't blame my Mum for using that form of discipline.

A child being slapped/smacked is quite different to being hit.

Parents have the right to discipline (within boundaries) their children as they see fit. As s child I honestly believe that the respect I had for my parents certainly helped to quickly learn between right and wrong.

I favour a hard flick on the ear to bring my kids into line - no embarrasing loss of control and it stings like hell, plus it gives them enough shock to snap them out of their naughty-whatever-they-were-doing to deserve the flick on the ear behaviour. If that fails then a sharp slap on the legs is sometimes nessesary as a last resort accompanied with loud fierce, 'NO' or 'STOP THAT' with or without 'you little shit', hissed between clenched teeth.