What's your radio station?

Bellenden Belle

For something a little different try arty London based station Resonance FM 104.4, it's very original and a bit avant garde sometimes, been going about 5 years now and can be hit and miss as they let some absolute nutters loose on the airwaves. It's quite refreshing and great to dip in and out of, especially in the evenings.

This is such a good idea for a thread BB! Only the other day I was thinking if I could merge the best bits from Radio 2, 4 and Xfm it would be a winner. Do listen to BBC6 but not useful to like a digital radio station when in the car. Agree that Tonks is rubbish and seems to be the only DJ on Xfm at the mo :(

We do Xfm, R1, R4, R6, London and some of the African pirate stations - but all in a very non-committal manner.

On Xfm Lauren Laverne was good but O'Connell was majestic and I miss laughing that hard in the morning. Spot on about their playlist, so predictable and far from it's indepedent roots.

On R1 Moyles has his moments but can also horribly borish, Scott Mills is far funnier. Wiley I can't stand, faux cool, hushed tones but tied to the same play list as everyone else.

R4 is my news channel. It also makes me laugh just how many mid-afternoon shows there are which feature medieval English music, at least two a week it seems.

R6 for Stephen Merchant on replay.

And London for the occasional Robert Elms show is lovely although the format's a bit predictable now. Vanessa is too much froth and not enough content for my liking, distinctly remember here doing what I thought to be pretty bad job the day of the 7/7 bombings. And then there's her 'celeb' boyfriend. What a knob. John Gaunt was terrible.

And then there's the African pirate stations (including the evangelical preach/ranting ones) to remind me I'm in the best city in the world.

AP

Since the late great John Peel's passing listening to the radio has become a bit of a chore for me, so I don't bother anymore, not that I was regular listener anyway. Commercial radio is just awful. Adverts every five or ten minutes minutes that seem to go on forever. It does my head in. Talk shows bore me apart from say Robert Elms' show which is usually entertaining and informative at the same time but the rest seem to be full of stupid, deeply irritating DJ's who think they're being funny with their ridiculously dumb inane banter, who play the same records on rotate and why do they all seem to surround themselves with a background staff of laughing sycophants? Urgh! I must be getting old or something.

• 2 weeks later...