OASIS -

Easties EL

You know West Ham was playing in Beijing last night?

Where one Huguenot goes, another Hugenot follows.

We will rule I tell you.

I bet you never thought there was two people with such similar names?

Back to the OP. Yep, they were fun for a while, but it's no surprise to have bands comparing themselves with the Beatles, or God, or me.

Stop Crying Your Heart Out, Go Let It Out.

If nothing else Cigarettes and Alcohol. D'You Know What I Mean?

Acquiesce. Don't Look Back in Anger.

You'll Live Forever.

What A Bundle Of Tosh.

The last was from their yet unreleased album, entitled "I was always selling out, it's just pretence".

TBF. Students didn't have to pay back their fees before 1997. Pints were 80p. Ciggies were 1.50 for a 10 box. Bus fare was well cheap. Our National Football was cracking i.e Euro 96. Great albums and bands : Radiohead, Supergrass, Massive Attack, Prodigy.

So TBF things did really do down the pan when Labour came in 1997, we got Coldplay and Dance music. LOL all the way to Lordship Lane!

You can?t really say oasis had a good album or two and then went downhill. They only have two songs, you know the rocky one and then the slow one with the same rhythm as the rocky one, so they can?t really be any better or worse just because they were released 10 years later and written in a mansion in Primrose Hill instead of a terraced house in Manchester.

I quite like both of their songs but not enough to have ever bought an album.

Lots of very good bands only have one or two songs. The Red Hot Chill Peppers have the one that goes bam-bam badda-bah wah with the bass slapping and then they have the slow acoustic one, AC/DC have the one they do, Metallica have the heavy one in E and Nothing Else Matters, The Ramones played the same song non-stop for 22 years, U2 have been doing it for 33 years and still haven?t realised it?s shit.

The list goes on and on.

With regards Oasis, I have never bought an album, and have never liked their attitude to anything. What they did do, was learn the art of writing anthems that would get everyone singing along. They have never done anything I'd call original though. Last decent single IMO was Little by Little, again because of the ring along anthem thing going on.

Easties, whilst you have all my love and support, you quite clearly implied that Dance Music is a time delimited franchise established in 1997.

That in itself is both snooty and pretentious.

I can assure you with all the support of my peers that dance music is a genre of music in all eras that prompts one to dance.

That means we had Dance Music in the eighties, seventies, sixties etc.

They were all called Dance Music, and they all had people who believed that their Dance Music was the only Dance Music.

Keef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> With regards Oasis, I have never bought an album,

> and have never liked their attitude to anything.

> What they did do, was learn the art of writing

> anthems that would get everyone singing along.

> They have never done anything I'd call original

> though. Last decent single IMO was Little by

> Little, again because of the ring along anthem

> thing going on.

Spot on Keef, the whole Oasis thing nailed in one short paragraph.

Huguenot Wrote:

> "The vertical expression of horizontal desire"

>

> Now who said that?

I wanted to say Mae West, because it usually is, but looked it up and turns out it was GBS. The old dog.

What is original though? 12 Bar Blues? I mean music is all about recycling. It's always has been, especially for Rock n Roll (Pop) - Chucky Berry, Buddy Holly, Little Richard, Elvis gave us rock n roll from the middle 50's who inspired the music of Rolling Stones and the Beatles. The Real People, Stone Roses, Happy Mondays inspired the music of Oasis. Recycled. No harm.

Btw. Great Article here

http://www.nysun.com/arts/who-really-invented-rock-n-roll/2037/

Huguenot Wrote:

> Easties, whilst you have all my love and support,

> you quite clearly implied that Dance Music is a

> time delimited franchise established in 1997.

>

> That in itself is both snooty and pretentious.

>

> I can assure you with all the support of my peers

> that dance music is a genre of music in all eras

> that prompts one to dance.

Even assuming Easties was referring specifically to modern, electronic dance music - there is a clear lineage back to House music in Chicago in the early 80s, and also Detroit Techno. This stuff laid the foundations of what is commonly referred to as "dance" music these days. I don't understand how anyone can claim dance music came along in the late 90s... house/techno/trance/etc were all firmly established in the UK mainstream long before then.

It's like saying that Rock n Roll began with Elvis, or that metal began when Enter Sandman broke into the top ten.

All I know is that at sometime, somewhere along the line someone looked at a Casio keyboard and thought, ?You know what, you don?t really need guitars do you??

Unfortunately nobody had the good sense to shoot them then and there and have done with the whole unpleasant business

I've actually always been more interested in the quality of songwriting, rather than originality.

There is some great music out there which is pretty unoriginal. If you can create a melody/chord progression/riff which sounds awesome and sticks in your head, then it doesn't really matter to me if the style reminds you of another band. (Although that's not to say that I don't love hearing a band who are fresh and original).