No through route at Loughborough Junction

mikeb

It is incredibly confusing - deliberately so I suspect. The whole thing is an example of council scatter-brain ideas poorly executed with no consideration for the impact it causes for other members of the community. Whomever is responsible for it should be fired - and by the look of the weight of public opinion against these closures someone higher up in the council will start worrying about how it portrays their leadership or lack thereof.

From what I can gather they are only policing this with one of the those mobile spy cars which lurks either under the bridge or on the road opposite - so you might be ok.

Rockets Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It is incredibly confusing - deliberately so I

> suspect. The whole thing is an example of council

> scatter-brain ideas poorly executed with no

> consideration for the impact it causes for other

> members of the community. Whomever is responsible

> for it should be fired - and by the look of the

> weight of public opinion against these closures

> someone higher up in the council will start

> worrying about how it portrays their leadership or

> lack thereof.

>

> From what I can gather they are only policing this

> with one of the those mobile spy cars which lurks

> either under the bridge or on the road opposite -

> so you might be ok.

That's what I have been hoping! I felt stupid not being able to make sense of a road but really - it is just bonkers!

> I read earlier that we've reached a stage with global warming of a 5m predicted ocean rise. We must all change our habits severely to try and mitigate this and from making it worse.

I'm trying to be a near vegetarian, cycling most commutes, 100% renewable electricity. I still need to do much more to reach 90% reduction in CO2 produced to sustain my lifestyle. <

How laudable, and how fortunate you are to be able to make such far-reaching changes to your lifestyle. And what about others who are not in your position? Do they have to be forced to follow your fine example, whatever the cost or inconvenience?

Global warming is far too serious an issue to think that blocking some roads and forcing everyone onto bicycles in a couple of boroughs in London is anything like a solution.

The shambles is getting worse and worse. When I rode through this morning most of the signs were missing (overturned or covered) and the barriers were all over the place. Definitely not looking like a trial pedestrian area and several cars passing through

On the other hand there was a camera car parked up, presumably to take photos for fines. Shame the operator didn't actually try and re-erect the signs. Cynical profiteering.

If you disagree with this closure and haven't done so already I suggest you sign the petition and share with like minded friends https://www.change.org/p/lambeth-council-reverse-the-loughborough-junction-road-closures-now?recruiter=9143844&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_term=mob-xs-share_petition-no_msg

And the council has erected one of those temporary illuminated road sign trailers warning people of the ?130 fine should they enter Loughborough Road.

Also tonight I realised they had shut Padfield Road by putting three of the largest plant pots ever seen across the road. It begs the question why.

Rockets Wrote:

>

> Also tonight I realised they had shut Padfield

> Road by putting three of the largest plant pots

> ever seen across the road. It begs the question

> why.

To make life even more miserable for drivers than it already is, of course.

There's actually just enough space to drive past those massive plant pots, by mounting the pavement to the side. I've seen someone do it and am building up to having a go myself!

Completely agree with all the frustrated people here. I don't drive often in London but when I do it's because I need to use a car - e.g. transporting something - and driving in South London is a particular nightmare, having recently moved here. People have suggested that it's a good thing, because it will encourage people to use cars less. But I want to live in a city where I can use a car or get a taxi if I need it. Trying to end driving by making it so difficult that it just isn't worth it is a ridiculous approach. Closing this particular junction will do nothing but force new rat runs and more congestion - I spent about 15 minutes re-routing around it the other day. That's 15 more minutes of my car on the road. Who's winning here?

I was sent this link today.

Janice Turner wrote in the Times this morning. Her ?hood? is Camberwell so this is a reference to Loughborough Junction.

See extract below and link at:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4586026.ece

I wonder if she signed the petition

https://www.change.org/p/lambeth-council-reverse-the-loughborough-junction-road-closures-now?recruiter=9143844&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_term=mob-xs-share_petition-no_msg

Notebook

An older Times reader wrote to say that ?transport policy is now being made by and for fit-ish, middle-aged men in Lycra?. Not everyone wants, or is physically able, to ride a bike, she added, yet cyclists? needs are paramount.

I was torn. My husband does a daily 18 miles on his carbon fibre machine in full rig. I wish his journey was safer and that idiot drivers, like the one who opened his car door and knocked him off last week, were prosecuted.

But in London, cycling has ceased to be a mode of transport and become a religion. ?Cyclist? ? rather like ?feminist? to some ? is now a political identity whose absolute righteousness excuses every deed.

To the zealots, no car journey is justifiable and drivers must be erased from streets. And so, in my ?hood, the council has shut a triangle of residential roads to cars. No warning, no diversion signs, just concrete blocks in the road: deliveries, ambulances, police, tradespeople, funnelled on to choked main roads.

Businesses within the triangle are stranded; homeowners feel ?kettled?. Huge, furious public meetings have been held. And in frustration residents have moved aside some barriers ? only to have cyclists re-block the streets with paint-cans and rubbish bags.

Why must every debate now be so angry and polarised? Many of us are, at various times, cyclists, pedestrians and drivers. Why can we not, with safety adaptations and mutual respect, share the streets? My correspondent may be interested in a Transport for London report that a cyclist is ?typically white, under 40, male, with medium to high household income?. Boris with his super-highways is spending ?1 billion on these guys.

Urgh, four paragraphs and she managed to drop so many clangers.

The whole point of investing in cycling infrastructure in London is to change the demographic away from the "white, under 40 [middle class] male" that currently dominates. Arguing against these measures in these terms is like arguing against building a bridge because no one currently crosses the river at that point. Has anyone seen the cycling super highway stuff starting to open around Oval/Elephant and Castle and Blackfriars Rd? It's bloody brilliant and we need more of it.

There was ample warning of this closure. I knew about it from a public consultation not far off 12 months before it happened.

This closure hasn't been brilliantly handled, but at least Lambeth are trying to do something. By far the least pleasant thing about living in London is the traffic and the pollution. The status quo is not sustainable.

So many straw men in that Times piece - bonfire night isn't 'til next month, Ms. Turner, and in any case the burning of effigies is no longer considered PC :o)

"Kettled" indeed. Yep, that's just how the TSG riot police do it. Five ways to walk or cycle in and out, and two you can drive. PML.

"No car journey justified"? Certainly not, but every last one rather ought to be justified, given the cumulative & collective consequences. Though as with other cumulative harms (indoor smoking being the best analogy), change is hard. TfL reckon, on a fairly conservative basis, that around one in every two vehicles on the road don't need to be there. Put another way - we're all breathing double the level of NOx & particulates we could be if people were less selfish.

"Why can't we all get along"? Well, if you're that under-40 white guy in Lycra, you can & you do. But if you want to see how this plays out in practice, jump on a train to Exhibition Road - complex "negotiation" with traffic is a piece of cake if you're old enough to understand the nuance of how it behaves, fast and agile enough to get out of the way, and young enough that getting it wrong generally won't have life-altering consequences. For under-15s & over-65s, that's much less of an option.

Finally, is Loughborough Junction considered a cycling scheme at all? I mean - I know they're leaving it open to bikes, but it seems mostly about pedestrian space & ultimately regeneration/gentrification (delete as applicable depending if you're for or against). It doesn't really join anything to anything, cycle-route-wise, and isn't a Quietway or Cycle Superhighway. Calling it a cycle scheme seems like a way to guarantee opposition & create a load of animosity towards people on bikes.

Clearly these closures are very painful for many - forcing changes in behaviour for many who consider all their car journey essential.

Equally the 70% who live around that area might welcome the relief from so many fewer cars.

Big picture is this year Paris conference about what has now become irreversible climate change while humans still exist on planet earth. They're now arguing of whether we're all willing to keep the change somewhere between an extra 2-5 degrees C or not. Already the calculation suggest the oceans rising 5m over the next century - that's most of London under water.

So we all need to be drastically weaned away from carbon consumption in all its forms - driving, shopping, etc. The problem with this change - and it is needed - is no alternatives that those drivers and families consider reasonable have been put in place. No new tram line, no improved train timetable, no express bus route. Not even an improved cycle route along this desire line.

Without carrots the sticks seem particularly painful.

wulfhound Wrote:

> So many straw men in ....

>

> Finally, is Loughborough Junction considered a

> cycling scheme at all? I mean - I know they're

> leaving it open to bikes, but it seems mostly

> about pedestrian space & ultimately

> regeneration/gentrification (delete as applicable

> depending if you're for or against). It doesn't

> really join anything to anything,

> cycle-route-wise, and isn't a Quietway or Cycle

> Superhighway. Calling it a cycle scheme seems like

> a way to guarantee opposition & create a load of

> animosity towards people on bikes.

Take a look at the Loughborough Junction Action Group (LJAG) tweets perhaps. Seems pretty focused on cycling.

LJAG ‏@LJAGgers1 12h12 hours ago

Hackney highest level of cycling in Ldn. Blog from cyclist who has recently visited Holland. http://hackneycyclist.blogspot.co.uk/ . Can this happen in LJ?

James Barber Wrote:

> Equally the 70% who live around that area might

> welcome the relief from so many fewer cars.

>

It has been proven that 9 out of 10% of statistics are made up on the hoof to support subjective arguments. I imagine that 100% of those who live around that area might welcome the relief from traffic.

James Barber Wrote:

> Big picture is this year Paris conference about

> what has now become irreversible climate change

> while humans still exist on planet earth. They're

> now arguing of whether we're all willing to keep

> the change somewhere between an extra 2-5 degrees

> C or not. Already the calculation suggest the

> oceans rising 5m over the next century - that's

> most of London under water.

James I didn't know you were such a true green campaigner! Explains much, but I've never read such alarmist rubbish as the above piffle. This is absolutely not the position of the IPCC on these issues, only of very (very) fringe campaigners from the most extreme green lobby organisations (and some politicians who like to use them for political ends).

London under water within a century - laughable, and no serious science has ever said such a thing.

To justify ridiculous planning decisions on this basis is just beyond parody. Pollution in London is an issue, but poorly considered road closures such as this only add to it, helping no one, and certainly not saving the planet in any conceivable way.

Coldharbour Lane between Brixton and LJ is now a permanent traffic jam.

I wonder how the many residents on Coldharbour Lane enjoy that?

What is the point of making traffic wait stationary in a traffc jam, rather than proceeding along wide, traffic calmed roads?

And in the middle of the day today the jam was full of trade vans, mini-cabs, buses, accessible school minibuses etc, not exclusively private cars at all.

This temporary experiment is, to my mind, highly dangerous, with scant and confusing signposting causing people to brake or make decisions too quickly when they see an unfamiliar sign, people doing U turns in roads, a mix of 'proper' road signs and temporary.

I am a visiting health professional working across the area. None of my clients view the closures as a good thing, and see it as part of a scheme which will gentrify LJ.