where are todays great thinkers?

There is no way forward for civilisation as we know it. We are just marking time before a transition to a completely different world with a much lower population. We might be able to influence whether the transition is smooth and controlled rather than violent and catastrophic, but that is all. IMHO.

SteveT Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Karl Marx said many years ago capitalism only

> works in an expanding economy but will not sustain

> itself during imploding years.

Not quite the exact wording, SteveT, but I'd concur with the sentiment nonetheless.

With respect to the title of the original posting, I believe that there are candidates-a-plenty.

Take a look at the writings of Antonio Negri (a particularly interesting essay in Radical Philosophy a few months ago which addressed the issue of Keynes.); Michael Hardt; Franco Berardi and Sylvere Lotringer, to name but a few.

Contemporary political philosophers are attempting to get to get to grips with this current phase of capitalist implosion, but you've got to seek them out!

http://www.generation-online.org

http://www.semiotexte.com/

http://info.interactivist.net/

reggie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> strange how you are equating thinkers to

> economists

> methinks thinking is on a higher plane than where

> our economy is heading

> just a thought

Try the 'Is there a God' thread. Plenty of thinkers there!

Today's great thinkers include AC Grayling and Richard Dawkins.

Today's politicians won't touch great thinking, even political thinking, with a barge pole. Politicians are in an age where there is so much selfishness ( as a result of a lot of us having lived through GOOD times that we don't want to let go of, and a lot of poverty watching telly seeing what the rest of us have ) yet everything in public life has to be done to committee, not individuals.

I think we will "muddle through" (well put) because we won't all die all at once so there is no option but to muddle through. Something like swine flu or a worse variation popping lots of us off might make a difference, and then the great thinkers will be the white coats working out the antivirals!