Best way to get from Lordship Lane to Trafalgar Squar on public transport

Interesting Loz talks about reading the paper on the bus. I really couldn't do that, especially with all the rocking back and forth they do (is that a problem with the brakes, or are the drivers just not very good?). I'd be puking within minutes.

I don't get travel sick (unless I'm on a boat and it's *really* swaying). I used to as a kid, but I was so determined to read my books in the car I beat it by sheer pigheadedness. Though, strangely, playing games like Doom, etc, make me feel something akin to travel sick.

Back on subject, GoogleMaps reckons that ED Station to Trafalgar Sq is 3.9 miles. Since Matt can run like the wind and leap tall commuters in a single bound, I suspect just legging it would be the fastest for him. (That, it's worth pointing out, won't work for me. I think I can actually walk faster than I run.)

You lot are brilliant. Even an insight into the travelling health of the EDF.

So far I have been bussing it as I'm in the Loz camp of serenity over speed. Have found that if the 176 is too full to stop (when I get on outside ED Train station) I can get the no 40 to the Wandsworth road and then change to the no 12, hence missing out the overly long no 12 trek through Peckham. This is a reassuring back up plan. I will get the train from ED to LB/LB to CharingX when I'm in a hurry though. My boyfriend did that in 40 minutes last night and swears he couldn't have done it any faster even with some crocodile dundee styles.

I may try the 185 to Oval/Northern Line option at some point - a very creative option.

Thanks guys. Let me know if you want me to referee the race. I love a bit of needless competitiveness.

xxx

I work on CX Road and find the 176 to be the cheapest and reasonably the best of a bad bunch, although it's rare in the mornings unless it's the summer holidays that you can ride the bus all the way to TSQ without getting off at the Aldwych or half way down the Strand and walking the rest of the way.

If I'm late or desperate, I'll bus it to Forest Hill and get a train from there to LB and change at platform 6. Overall takes about 30 mins, where as a 176 can be between 40 mins to an hour.

Loz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Oh, Matt would win, Sophie - I don't deny that.

> But I would arrive relaxed and with morning paper

> fully read. And a quid or two in my pocket.

>

> Sneaky, Matt - finding one of the few express

> trains of the morning. As Jeremy said, a big

> sprint through London Bridge and a even bigger

> sprint to get to the square in 2 mins might get

> you there.

>

> But, I grudgingly admit it is theoretically

> possible.

Loz,

I believe that London Bridge 'express' train arrives earlier than the published 11 minutes. Now based on where you leap off at London Bridge (i.e. next to bridge staircase) it is possible to make platform 6 in less than 1 minute - thus you can then catch the 7.25 a.m. to arrive at Charing X for 7.34 a.m. giving you 5 minutes grace to make Trafalgar Sq.

It used to take me 3 minutes from Northern Line platform to reach Platform 13 during rush hour (where E.Dulwich usually departed) before station modernisation - so feel very comfortable that the 25 minutes could be achieved, and I believe it could be done without a single shoulder barge! ;-)

I work on Trafalgar Square in the building above Waterstones. I go from Peckham Rye every day. The fast train (17 minutes past 7 or 53 minutes past 7 depending on whether I can haul myself out of my bed) takes about 10 minutes and the trains from London Bridge to Charing Cross are more regular than a Swiss Watch. Its doable in 25-30 minutes. If its a nice day, jump off at Waterloo East and walk over the bridge, an extra 10 minutes on your journey but one of those London unknown pleasures I think at 730am when the sun is rising... Yes the 12 and 176 are cheaper and frequent enough - the 12 actually stops outside the entrance to my building on Northumberland Ave but I've only ever done it twice. Never again!