Strange early morning visitor

mumra

I gave a bloke a quid once, because he promised to spend it on a can of Stella, and assured me it wouldn't go on food (either for himself of his imaginary children), or a bus fare to his sick Grandma's place. He even gave me a penny change.

I appreciated the honesty.

Another classic - Some mornings my boyf gets up at a ridiculous hour to get to early meetings. He travels from Denmark Hill Station where 9 times out of 10 there?s a girl there who asks for change, her stories change every time

"I have been out and lost all my money - can you give me some for a train ticket..."

"I have had my handbag stolen and need some money..."

"I went to a party around here last night, now I am lost and need to get home, can I have some money..."

Same girl, about 6am 2-3 times a week, you would think shed realised that people might recognise her!

When you lounged this you lost my post so I'm going to have to rewrite the damned thing again!!!! Grrr!

Anyway Mr Scary Neck introduced himself to me a few Sundays back when I was sitting outside the Drum having a drink and a fag and he saunters over with his equally smacked out girlfriend, he's swigging from a bottle of wine and tries to sell me some packaged meats from a big blue recycling bag. He actually says to me that "it's not nicked mate, honest." I politely told him that I wasn't interested and he gives me the big stare like he's gonna chiv me. When I gave him the big stare back and told him to be on his way he finally left me alone to go and bother someone else outside the Palmerston. Arsehole!

when I first moved to East Dulwich about 6 years ago there was this girl, late teens, scrawny who had bloody and scratched arms who came up to me on Lordship Lane and in a hysterical way say how she had been attacked and just wanted to get a train home and needed some money. I gave her a fiver and offered to go with her to the police and report it but she said it had been her boyfriend and she just wanted to get home and get over it. Anyway the next day and a week later at Victoria station was the same girl trying the same scam. Now you have to be desperate to scratch up your own arms so they bleed in order to get the sympathy vote but I guess it worked for her.

I had a smacked out, scarred, coughing woman begging for cash to buy baby milk a couple of weeks ago. Baby nowhere to be seen but she insisted he was home with her granddad. My kids were with me and they were upset about saying no, so I offered to walk into a shop with her and pay for a tin of formula. She didn't want to know.....

• 3 weeks later...
Going back to the original point, we were broken into last week where they smashed the whole sash front window through. The neighbours saw two people on a moped/motorbike obviosuly wearing helmets and called the Police. This was at 8am in broad daylight but sounds similar to Mumra's situation.

• 1 month later...

I know this has been discussed before but not for a while and I want people to know that it's still happening.

Two nights ago I had a knock at the door at about 8pm. A black, slim woman in her late 30s who was very warm and friendly said her name was Shena and she's from number 63 (about 5 doors down). She said " thank you so much for opening the door, I'm so sorry about this but I had an electricity meter fitted last week and it's run out of cash. I've got 2 kids at home, one 6 and the other 8 so I can't get out to get more money for it. Could you please lend me some money just until my husband gets home."

She was very good, even called down the street at one point for the kids to get back inside. She said her husband, Jerry, would come round to pay me back as soon as he got in. She didn't even tell me how much she wanted until I asked her, it didn't come across in any way as begging, she seemed so so genuine. She could obviosly see that she had me hook, line and sinker because she said they take minumum ?10. I paid up straight away, she seemed very embarrassed asking and I didn't want to make her feel any more awkward. She said thank you and made a point of asking me what my name was so that Jerry would know.

Even after she'd gone, I sat watching telly for a while waiting for Jerry to come round. It wasn't until I realised that I know who lives at 63 and it's not her, that I realised I'd been ripped off. Obviously, she wouldn't be able to charge up her key at home, you have to go to the hole in the wall to do it. I was so stupid but she really appealed to me as one mother to another and I really wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Please, no one be as stupid as I was!