Charter School East - consultations

Not sure why kids cant walk there? is it really too far?

Wonder if the intake will increase?

Maybe Angelina means the original temp site! I also received an email and understand that the nodal point will still be as originally stated not in Camberwell (which makes sense).

Think this is great news for all the kids that are hoping to go to the new school, much better facilities.

LondonMix Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So Angelina and Hoonalonna have received different

> information. Hopefully one of the governor /

> parents active on the forum will see this thread

> and clarify. I imagine there might be two nodal

> points for the first two years but who knows.

No - I'm assuming Angelina meant the 'old' temporary site, i.e. Dulwich Hospital...

Sounds very clear to me from their email that this new site does NOT change their admissions criteria:

'We will, of course, have to contend with a site that is slightly further away from our permanent base. The Southampton Way campus is 1.2 miles from the Dulwich Community Hospital. The Charter Schools Educational Trust recognises that parents and carers will have made applications to TCSED expecting that we would be based on the hospital site as that was the only option available to us at the time applications were made. Our occupation of the temporary site has no impact on our admissions criteria.'

It sounds like buses will definitely be laid on to take them from the ED site.

This is all v encouraging and interesting news - I was really concerned by the previous lack of space for a library, science and art rooms, assembly hall, sports space etc in the original temporary site (for the first two years), but this rather changes things...

no change to the admissions policy - just a change to where the school is going to be for two years - that was the point - isn't that bad enough?

someone suggested the kids could walk it - sorry but they are only 11 years old, its going to be a very long way from some parts of ED

Mick Mac Wrote:

> no change to the admissions policy - just a change

> to where the school is going to be for two years -

> that was the point - isn't that bad enough?

>

> someone suggested the kids could walk it - sorry

> but they are only 11 years old, its going to be a

> very long way from some parts of ED

This is a non problem if you actually read the Charter site so I don't understand why you wouldn't do that before commenting

"For this reason, the Department of Education will support The Charter Schools Educational Trust in providing travel between the permanent school (or a convenient nearby pickup point) and the entrance to the Southampton Way campus. Exact details are to be confirmed, but we envisage this will involve dedicated transport in the morning, drop-offs in the evening and to and from The Charter School North Dulwich for sporting provision and after-school clubs and societies. This will enable students to experience the independence associated with making their own way to secondary school while easing their journey."

http://www.chartereastdulwich.org.uk/page/?title=Our+temporary+school+site+at+Southampton+Way&pid=120

So shuttle buses to and from, public transport and just over a mile away

That said, my son managed to get to Kingsdale which is closer to 3 miles by walking, now cycles..and yes from the age of 11

My daughter manages a public bus to Sydenham Girls ...2 miles away

Part of going to secondary is burgeoning independence which involves getting to places and back ..it is far harder for parents to adjust than children :)

It looks pretty amazing as a temporary site ..well done Charter ED for securing it

yes - I meant the Dulwich Hosital temporary site. Applications for the year 2016 entry are based on distance (crow flies) to the gate on the temporary site on the Permanent School.

The fact that the children will be based in a substitute site has not bearing on the applications.

The email from the school today says "Our occupation of the temporary site has no impact on our admissions criteria" (this referring to the Southampton Way site).

Curmudgeon "That said, my son managed to get to Kingsdale which is closer to 3 miles by walking, now cycles..and yes from the age of 11"

Walking the gauntlet between Camberwell Green / Peckham Road and Southampton Way is not to be confused with a stroll through Dulwich Village imo. Best stick to school designated buses.

This isn't 3 miles away

The school / DoE are laying on coaches

It's kind of a moot point

And believe me I wasn't OK about it before the eldest started nor when he first started cycling ...it becomes easier to allow them independence, I was just mentioning that this can be harder on parents than children

Mick Mac Wrote:

> no change to the admissions policy - just a change

> to where the school is going to be for two years -

> that was the point - isn't that bad enough?

>

>

I don't see this as bad news at all - I think it is excellent news. I'd far rather the kids have decent space and facilities, even if they have to travel a bit further, rather than being on a cramped and noisy building site for two years. Plus it means they can crack on with the building work on the actual site more freely.

If you fill out a form to choose a school in east Dulwich, its nice when you get your place that you find it to be in east Dulwich.

Other people talking about walks to school - that's all fine, as the school was where it was when you applied for it, it didn't move.

anyway - I'm half expecting my child will not get a place at this school - so maybe won't be our problem.

people stating its a non-issue might find that everyone else may not feel the same way.

Fair enough

You haven't lost anything because your application was in addition to the standard application form. The application to the new Charter did not take one of your standard application places.

Yes of course you are entitled to feel how you feel. As are others entitled to feel that any concern is misplaced.

If you do want a place I hope you are successful in getting one. I do appreciate how stressful this process is.

I do agree with the coaches, of course its a good idea and keeps the children safe, but successful applicants are now sending our children to a very different place geographically and it takes time out of the childrens day etc - not ideal but I understand a solution had to be found and has been.

No one is a successful applicant yet - places aren't offered till 1 March. So people have got plenty of time to decide if they want to turn it down if they don't like the idea. As Curmudgeon says, it was an additional choice on top of the standard form this year, so people won't have lost out if they decide they don't want their child to travel at all for those two years. But I would point out that this new temporary site is still much nearer than most of the other 'local' choices, e.g. Kingsdale, Sydenham Girls etc - it's certainly much nearer than five out of the six other choices we had on our list.

When Harris East Dulwich Boys Academy bused people from the intended permanent site to Kingswood Estate temporary site for two years it worked well. It meant the permanent site proceeded without having to work around children. So on reflection this is probably a great idea.

The admissions being based on the entrance to the originally proposed temporary school is bizarre but suspect they can;t change their admissions criteria for September 2016 entry. I hope they do for September 2017 using the ultimately planned permanent entrance on the Dulwich Hospital site.

It's my understanding that the Jarvis Road entrance was chosen as the nodal point for admissions not because it was the entrance to the proposed temporary school but because it's the furthest point from Charter Red Post Hill, thereby reducing any potential overlap of catchment area.