former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

Hi first mate,

I have objected to these changes. And if the final report recommends the original proposals without change then I will raise my objections with the cabinet councillor before they make their decision and encourage others to do so. I would expect to also formally object to the Traffic Management Order - this would result in the decision having to be reconsidered. I would also encourage others to do the same.

But the council is Labour led and if they seriously/legitimately consider all objections and then proceed then as an opposition councillor I will have done my job. It's how we run our democracy. I won't be laying down in the road over these parking proposals.

But I will campaign for more Lib Dem councillors so we can achieve a majority and choose to reverse such policies as and decisions as orignally proposed that we disagree with.

Well there remains the question, as you say, of them seriously and legitimately considering all objections.

If the method is flawed and inadequate how can that be done? You said you agreed the consultation for this was not fit for purpose. Those in charge have thus far resisted this notion. In the name of democracy I would have thought this issue alone would be worth a bit more fight...perhaps not lying down in the road but more than simply meeting the terms of your job contract.

Given that all roads in Southwark will now have a 20mph speed limit, is there any way of slowing down the mail vans which have always been driven well above the old speed limit and which still race from postbox to postbox to collect mail at speeds well over 30 let alone 20mph. Speed humps do not deter them. Can you have a word with the Sylvester Road sorting office please?

Hi James,

I have tried, without success, to get some flattened cardboard boxes collected by Southwark. The agreed dates come and go (as per usual) but when I called to chase again this time, I was told that they would need to open a complaint, investigate the complaint and only then, would they reschedule a collection.

These boxes have been out by the bins for weeks now, are rain sodden and regularly get blown down the path and I have to clean them up.

Could you get something done for me about this ridiculous situation? I'm used to it taking several attempts to get rubbish picked up but this is just crazy!

I've got the re-consultation document for the Townley Road junction. I don't understand why roads are being reduced to one lane. Won't that just create chaos? They talk about 'slight loss of capacity' and 'acceptable levels' which doesn't fill me with confidence. You used to be on the Townley Road thread a lot, but you're not there now. What's your view on the new proposal?

Hi Bicknell,

I haven't had a chance to look at it yet but plan to over the weekend. Will comment then on specifics.

Factors that would play into these proposals. More lanes mean more green time for people to cross the road. But keeping the Townley right hant turn needs more green time for that phase than they'd planned. So I suspect these factors are resulting in the suggested lane reduction - but as I said I've not studied the details and hope to do so over the weekend.

Hi James,

You have published the stats for Southwark Secondary School allocations in the family room (% that was allocated first choice, first 3, first 6 and none of the above). Do you have the same information broken down for East Dulwich.

Thank

Kate

Hi james,

On the one hour parking thread you will note that a long reply from the Council was posted by Woodwarde in repsonse to questions about the efficacy of this scheme and the validity of the consultattion process.

Based on the Council's rationale another poster noted the following:

This is the key part that explains the 'logic' behind the proposition that "more parking restrictions increases parking opportunity". If true then it would require that the cars that are currently parked on unrestricted roads are generally there all day - wonder if there has been any analysis of this?

>>However, with the introduction of a time limit, this would increase the minimum number of parking slots per day from 17 to 100 (10 spaces x 10 hrs of operation).>This is necessary to ensure turn-over of space throughout the day. If those bays operated for just two hours per day you would find that the bays were fully occupied during the uncontrolled hours, which would prevent customers for stopping and parking close by. <<

Can you say if this sort of analysis was done? Can you comment on the above? Can you also comment on whether the new 10 minute grace period for parking, will apply to these newly created free parking slots? Do we know if part of the new scheme is to fund extra monitoring by putting more parking wardens onto the streets? If so, how much money will be spent on this?

Hi James,

I wanted to touch upon the subject of wildlife.

In the last four years the population of crow magpies and jaies has grown exponentially and I fear that soon the skies will will be like those of Karachi where other birds have simply disappeard, and the noise of croaking is constantly within earshot....

As you surely know these are cunning And predatorial birds and I hope you and the other counsellors understand the variety of the bird life we still enjoy is now under threat.

I live not far from Peckham Rye Park and and when four years ago crows were just another specie of birds they are now hundreds of them, this mean that in another three or four years the battle will lost.

It would be sad thing to happen and I am convinced a ruthless culling program should be initiated.

Would you kindly let us know what your thoughts are regarding this subject?

Your concern is much appreciated,

Many thanks.

B.

I saw in the SE22 magazine that you stated food composting will possibly be no more due to the council no longer supplying the bags ? I always make full use of my food compost and like to use this service as I do not want food waste sitting in my green bin for two weeks stinking and attracting flies/maggots . What is the latest stance on this ?

Hi first mate,

I ask council officers what analysis had been undertaken as part of the 1 hour changes. They reported ZERO analysis had taken place. Their is no evidence for it.

I checked with the local traders association and they said they're happen within anyting 30-90 minutes.

My gut feel is 30mins can easilly get swalloed up queueing. But with the new 10minutes flexibility being introduced by the coalition I think that would have covered it.

hi Bessie1974,

I'm afraid I don't know enough to comment on this.

Can you get some RSPB advice and if they agree then yes we'd need to try and make it happen?

Hi DB&B,

Southwark Labour passed their budget last week which stops providing biodegradeable food waste bags to residents from 1 April. They cost 35p /year /resident. From memory it will make a headline saving of ?118,000/year. They have suggested residents buy their own - which they say retail at 8-10p each or ?4.16->?5.20 / year.

OR use old newspaper to wrap up peelings etc - newspaper and wet food waste don't work!

I doubt everyone will continue to take part in the scheme. Officers haven't explained the expected participant reduction. I've had two people ask how to return the brown bins and caddy's but council officials have so far declined to tell me.

If more food waste isn't recycled the council will have extra landfill and landfill tax costs , some food recycling rounds will have fewer participants so unlikely to be able to reduce the collection costs but less collected. some rounds may stop being economic.

So I'd be amazed if the total NET cost isn't higher after this change that will obviously reduce recycling rates.

Really sad poor policy making - ignoring the total lifecycle costs and all the externalities let alone knock-on costs to the council. It will probably be dressed up as the coalitions fault rather than local poor judgement.

Obviously we proposed in our counter budget not doing this.

Dear Mr Barber

I have tried and failed on multiple occasions in the last few weeks to reach you by both email and mobile to continue our discussions on Judith Kerr Primary School.

Unfortunately you continue to respond to your constituents on the forum, and yet choose to ignore my messages.

I am somewhat exasperated that as a local resident, I have to contact you through this public forum but it seems I have no other choice.

I would appreciate therefore at the very least an acknowledgement that you will contact me, or should I expect a call post election?

Such a shame to hear this and so short sighted, always thought the bio bin was a great tool for reducing waste to landfill and very easy to do. I will continue to do it and buy the bags but still a shame that the council will not assist in this anymore

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi DB&B,

> Southwark Labour passed their budget last week

> which stops providing biodegradeable food waste

> bags to residents from 1 April. They cost 35p

> /year /resident. From memory it will make a

> headline saving of ?118,000/year. They have

> suggested residents buy their own - which they say

> retail at 8-10p each or ?4.16->?5.20 / year.

> OR use old newspaper to wrap up peelings etc -

> newspaper and wet food waste don't work!

>

> I doubt everyone will continue to take part in the

> scheme. Officers haven't explained the expected

> participant reduction. I've had two people ask how

> to return the brown bins and caddy's but council

> officials have so far declined to tell me.

> If more food waste isn't recycled the council will

> have extra landfill and landfill tax costs , some

> food recycling rounds will have fewer participants

> so unlikely to be able to reduce the collection

> costs but less collected. some rounds may stop

> being economic.

>

> So I'd be amazed if the total NET cost isn't

> higher after this change that will obviously

> reduce recycling rates.

>

> Really sad poor policy making - ignoring the total

> lifecycle costs and all the externalities let

> alone knock-on costs to the council. It will

> probably be dressed up as the coalitions fault

> rather than local poor judgement.

>

> Obviously we proposed in our counter budget not

> doing this.

Hi James

I agree - this is still a serious and troubling issue - the potential loss of the Judith Kerr school's only playing field to luxury housing would be very detrimental to this new school and the area generally.

The Southwark Plan wrongly designates it as a "development site" and DE are lobbying hard to keep it that way. Could we please see some activism in the public interest against the breathtaking arrogance of those who would take the only green play space from a state school to subsidise expensive privately educated children with enormous playing fields?

cornishpasty999 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Dear Mr Barber

>

> I have tried and failed on multiple occasions in

> the last few weeks to reach you by both email and

> mobile to continue our discussions on Judith Kerr

> Primary School.

>

> Unfortunately you continue to respond to your

> constituents on the forum, and yet choose to

> ignore my messages.

>

> I am somewhat exasperated that as a local

> resident, I have to contact you through this

> public forum but it seems I have no other choice.

>

>

> I would appreciate therefore at the very least an

> acknowledgement that you will contact me, or

> should I expect a call post election?