Upland Road / Crystal Palace Road junction

RobMiller

Pat Lanips Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> just a feeling and a sense that you dont wanna be

> getting involved. Thats it really.

thanks for clarifying, pat

but i agree with first mate and others that we need to know why they seem to feel they can be so cosy with the council

Hi Pat Lanips,

I haven't been intimidated as you suggest. How absurd to suggest this. I understand the developers you refer to on the SE corner of this junction and also Lordship Lane are called Lightbox London - http://lightboxlondon.com/

They've undertaken all sorts of community work - Dog Kennel Hill Adventure Playground being one example.

I have spoken to the owner and he has assured me his site will be better run and avoid the types of situations photos on this thread have demonstrated.

Hi first mate, etc,

Yes, the plans show the properties just 50cm back from the kerb.

NE side of this junction. The north side of Upland road from Crystal Palace Road to Barry Road is in Peckham Rye ward. Despite this I did submit comments that I thought the application an over development of the site. I recall asking if PKR ward councillors were going to call this planning application in to be decided by a committee but they chose not to do this so council officers alone approved this scheme.

Southwark Building Services being a partner of the developers. Building Control was de regulated years ago. So I think this just means they've chosen to use Southwark Building Services/Control. Nothing more, nothing less. Highway control is not under taken by Building Control officials.

Cosmur person has come back to me very quickly. It does imply no one else posting on this thread has bothered complaining to them. Come on guys you clearly care about our area.

Their response is not unexpectedly the following. If you witness anything different to the below please take a photo and email it to Cosmur and copy me.

"

Dear Cllr James Barber

Thank you for your email, expressing your concerns regarding the project we are undertaking at 97 Crystal Palace Road.

Due to the nature of the project, we do have in place a temporary traffic order, which includes double yellow lines to ensure a continual flow of traffic is maintained at all times. This was carefully considered prior to commencement and we took advice from London Borough of Southwark Parking and Road Network Management Team, for the best way forward to inconvenience neighbours and resident as little as possible.

Whilst deliveries are taking place, an experienced banksman is in full time attendance, to ensure that the flow of traffic is not compromised.

Furthermore, we have also provided signage for the local business, to make sure that their business and foot fall of customers? are not hindered by the construction works.

Prior to commencement on site, we wrote to local neighbours, advising them of commencement dates, details of the site team, and our out of hours emergency number, should they have any concerns. Our Site Manager Roger Sherlock has been involved in this project from the start and will be there until completion to make certain that continuity is maintained. In addition to this monthly newsletters are issued to local neighbours and residents keeping them updated and informed of the progress we are making and the works that will be undertaken within the next two/four weekly period.

We have registered this project with the Considerate Constructors Scheme of which we are an associate member, and do adhere the guidelines and required code of conduct to meet the targets outlined in this scheme.

This project is monitored by two weekly unannounced health and safety inspections from an independent safety advisor, who compiles a written report, advising us of any areas that may need improvement, we are achieving high scores and no dangerous occurrences have occurred on this site.

We always use our best endeavours to carry out the construction work as professionally, and courteously and with as little inconvenience and disruption as possible. However, it is inevitable that some level of disruption may be encountered.

This project is now well underway and our completion target date is early summer next year.

We will of course continue to keep residents updated, and seek advice from London Borough of Southwark for any areas of work, that may cause disruption to the flow of traffic.

Please do not hesitate to contact me, should you wish to discuss further.

Yours sincerely

"

@#James Barber I explained to #civilservant that I did not mean you/we had been intimidated/had the frighteners put on us and that it was just my feeling about these people with their shall we call it "sinister" appearance. People like this do actually exist you know and are not just figments from films or history.I merely made a rhetorical question. Also the hoardings at the site have MYN properties on them.Also, Lightbox on L.L. are not the development I am referring to and I suspect you know it.MYN properties have a large site on the other side. This is not the first time you have not read things properly on here I have seen others have to correct you.Perhaps its a politicians deliberate mislead. Im not getting any further involved because of what I said before.

I made a complaint this week to Cosmur and they came back to me very quickly too with a similar response. James you were CCed in so you have it too.

I really think that everyone here should complain to them, if they see any bad parking, obstructions, sand oveflowing the pavement or just feel deeply annoyed that the junction is such a nightmare. It really helps the case and will keep them on their toes.

Hmmmm

James Barber Wrote:

snip .............

> Whilst deliveries are taking place, an experienced

> banksman is in full time attendance, to ensure

> that the flow of traffic is not compromised.

Rubbish - just not true

> Furthermore, we have also provided signage for the

> local business, to make sure that their business

> and foot fall of customers? are not hindered by

> the construction works.

Signing invisible - needs LED lighting!!

Thanks for posting those addresses @JamesBarber. I've emailed them and cc'd you (copy below).

I've also attached the latest photo I took of their forklift blocking the road at night last week. Madness.

------

Dear Cosmur team,

I am writing to complain about the disruption caused by your development at the Old Police Station site in East Dulwich.

I've noticed the reply you have sent to Cllr James Barber which he has posted on this thread on our local web forum: http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,1586179,1602676#msg-1602676. I do not agree that you are taking reasonable care to minimise the impact of the works on local residents.

This is a busy junction used by many people, and the obstruction caused by your hoardings and the vehicles used by both your team and your sub-contractors is making this a very dangerous location for pedestrians and vehicles. There is inadequate visibility for vehicles turning into Upland Road, pedestrians often have their crossing blocked by construction vehicles, and I have seen no sign of efforts to manage the traffic flow when construction vehicles are blocking the route (on one occasion a rapidly reversing car whose path was blocked by your vehicle nearly hit my family and me when we were crossing the road).

I've attached some photos below illustrating the impact of the vehicles servicing your site.

I look forward to hearing back with details of what additional measures you will take to protect pedestrians during the remaining six months of this development.

Kind regards,

Thanks Rob for the latest photo.

The company letter is a disgusting example of spin. Truly disturbing to see the breathtaking arrogance that allows them to refer to themselves as a considerate builder ir whatever the exact words are. They clearly think that a little bit of PRese will get them off the hook. They seem untouchable....scary.

An unimpressive response from Cosmur... Their reply to my email here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/avoefu5tgb1b3k5/Mr%20Miller%2023.11.15.pdf?dl=0, and my reply below (I've attached a photo of the additional delivery I've referred to).

@james do you think they're being reasonable? To me it looks like they're hiding behind 'we've talked to the Council' and other excuses, and if it was a week or two that might be passable, but for a year long development it seems very poor.

Rob

-----

Thank you for your email, the attached letter and follow up.

I have a few points of detail that I would like to take issue with:

1. The driver of the grey van advised us that he was there in connection with your development.

2. If the forklift truck in the night time photo is not yours then please can you advise what measures you are taking to coordinate with the firm working on the opposite site? I'm sure you'll appreciate that from a resident's point of view the impact of the extended development at your site combined with the development opposite is having a significant detriment to our ability to use the junction. It would seem reasonable to expect you to work together to minimise this, not simply point the finger at the other party.

3. Please can you advise what measures you have taken to ensure that vehicles turning into Upland Road from Crystal Palace Road are approaching with due caution? I think that the priority signs you mention are only visible once the vehicle has entered Upland Road, which gives no advance warning of the potential for oncoming vehicles to be in the middle of the road.

4. I've attached a further set of photos from 5 November showing a further obstruction to the pavement. We spoke with your team in the morning when taking our children to school, and were advised that this would be cleared shortly. It was still being removed when we picked the children up from school.

I am honestly unconvinced that your company are taking due care. While I would obviously prefer that the development did not involve the loss of a pavement for a year, a few simple measures by way of signage, more considerate loading and unloaded, and an effort to coordinate with the firm working opposite would seem both easy to do and beneficial in terms of mitigating the impact.

Hi RobMiller,

Clearly they're ducking the issue and being fed what appears to be lies by site staff.

As you've articulated why can't both developments talks.

Sadly Southwark Council officers when they approved the planning application NE side of junction under delegated planning officer powers (Peckham Rye ward councillors were happy for this) to include the requirements for a Construction Management Plan. Lesson to be learnt hopefully - I've certainly asked and will object to future application that don't have this condition proposed.

A quick update - after a not very impressive response from Cosmur and a shove from @James it seems that the three firms who are working on sites near the junction might be ready to coordinate a bit more effectively together. Hopefully that will help improve things a bit....

Thanks for persevering with this James! :)

RobMiller Wrote:

> seems that the three firms who are working on

> sites near the junction might be ready to

> coordinate a bit more effectively together.

hi, Rob, would you be able to share what the three firms have committed to do? we live nearby, so it is of interest to us

@civilservant, basically regular weekly contact to make sure they're working together more effectively. Think we'll have to keep an eye on it and see if we notice a difference. Sadly I don't think it'll really be hugely better until the work at the old Police Station site is finished.

@EDmummy, I think I read something saying that they'd been asked to take the mirror down because of resident feedback? I agree though, some measures to help make the left turn from Crystal Palace Road into Upland Road would be a Good Thing.

Love to know the reason locals have complained. I'm local, walk past this twice a day and found the mirror invaluable for crossing from the police station site corner to the opposite side. As the Cosmur site sticks out, as a pedestrian, you cannot see if a car is coming from Upland Rd until you've stuck your head out into oncoming traffic.

RobMiller Wrote:

> @civilservant, basically regular weekly contact to

> make sure they're working together more

> effectively. Think we'll have to keep an eye on it

> and see if we notice a difference. Sadly I don't

> think it'll really be hugely better until the work

> at the old Police Station site is finished.

>

> @EDmummy, I think I read something saying that

> they'd been asked to take the mirror down because

> of resident feedback? I agree though, some

> measures to help make the left turn from Crystal

> Palace Road into Upland Road would be a Good

> Thing.