> http://www.thegooseisout.com

> > gigs.

> >

> > I don't particularly want to lug loads of heavy

> > change to bloody Peckham :(

>

> Nice plug. I like your style. :)

And I thought nobody had noticed :))

My father used to bank in Nat West where he lived in Sussex, it operated 5 days a week, heavily used as most of the year several thousands of visitors used the cash point as 2 large holiday camps nearby. It then went to opening only 3 days a week and in the last year closed completely. As an attorney for Father's finances I had to produce various documents to the bank on a regular basis. It was 9 miles to the nearest Nat West - a 45 minute bus journey and 10 minute walk. They suggested I used the nearest London branch in future. Earlier this year, I tried to pay a cheque into my Dad's account using the Camberwell Green branch, the cashier also could not pay it in and having checked with her computer, suggested that went back to his branch in Sussex in person to sort out the problem as this had to be a face to face discussion and transaction.

It is all very good closing a branch but at times you have to have a face to face discussion with bank staff. When they (HSBC) transferred some of the banking facilities to Peckham, I was not able to make an initial appointment and waited an hour to be seen by one of their advisors. Fortunately I was able to complete and sign all the necessary paperwork at that trip. I was advised that the earliest appointment they could give me for any follow up queries was 4 weeks later - I did not bother with that as meant taking time off work at a very busy time. Fortunately everything went smoothly. The Peckham branch is always busy even on a Saturday. I do not use on line banking and never will.

I use hsbc on lordship lane regularly to pay in cheques. Also sometimes have needed to go & sort out problems with acc face to face & not everyone in the world wants to do all their banking online! So now to pay in cheques U can't go to your local bank, for me that is a loss.

Pugwash Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

I do not use on line banking and

> never will.

Whilst I respect your decision, obviously, it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that telephone (and then online) banking changed my life in terms of convenience and the massive amount of time saved.

First Direct are brilliant, and also have excellent customer service. It's not just me who thinks so - they are always very highly rated in surveys and consumer reports.

The only time I need a (HSBC) bank branch now is to get change for floats and to pay in change and cheques.

Grrrr.

having had dealings with Barclays in relation to a couple of business accounts where I was a signatory, I do not relate them highly. I was tipped off some years ago that a man in my organisation forged my signature on a letter stating that I had resigned as a signatory to an account, then filled in forms in my name to remove me from the account. What this guy did not know that the mandate was in my legal and professional name which was different from my married name and he put the wrong name on. I complained in person to Barclays and asked that the Police be informed of this fraud but they refused and would not admit their mistake.

Barclays also lost all the paperwork I had to complete as an attorney under a EPA relating to my father's accounts -and it took 4 months to reinstate the ?5000 plus they had put into a 'general fund'

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Just seen agent property particulars (copy hopefully attached). ?100K asking rent (exclusive of business rates and service charge) steamy, but a good corner position and bigger than average floor size on LL. Note glowing description from local agent, Hindwoods. No reference to restaurant use (planning use class A3) but potential for coffee shops operating in retail use class A1, providing there is no primary in-store cooking and minimal customer seating. Contrary to rumour it seems the premises are not under-offer at present, otherwise these particulars would not have been released to property agents

Borderlands Wrote:

> Spare a thought for people who want more than an

> ATM. Oh - and what will happen to their ATM??

> Surely that's useful.

They'll also be removed, leaving that end of LL with three less ATM's than currently.

rabbitears Wrote:

> Come on - it's literally opposite the Barclays, it

> neighbours the Co-Op and it's a few steps down

> from the recently upgraded post office, all of

> which have free ATMs.

On Saturday afternoon, the PO ATM already ran out of money and one of the Barclays ATM's. It's also common for the Co-op ATM to run out of money.

Losing three HSBC ATM's will put pressure on those remaining ATM's which will see longer queues, especially at Barclays.

Further up the road, Lloyds ATM also runs out quickly at the weekend, despite a neighbouring ATM at Sainsbury's Local.

It always seems to me that most people simple do not use much cash...

In the pubs people seem to go contact-less even for single drinks..

Restaurants - most people use cards - same as in the Supermarkets..

I NEVER take cards out at night.. just enough cash for the evening..

If I get rolled, it's not such a big deal and does not cause the aggravation of having to call credit card companies late at night when you may well be a little worse for wear...

It always concerns me when (mostly women) carry a concertina of credit / store cards when they go out for the night. WHY ???

DulwichFox