> 1) Some people will go "good point - I was allowed

> to call them pakis when I were a lad and now I

> can't - why not? It never did them any harm"

>

> 2) Worthy's like me will be on high-alert for #1

>

> I'm still no wiser what the point of the thread is

> really

Usually sean its to have an interesting discussion. Not trying to achieve anything major. Just to get people thinking and posting their opinions.

I actually think this is a decent thread abouyt a topic that has been in the news. There has been nothing offensive posted, and Sean I did cringe when I saw you post asking Mick if he wanted people to say it was okay for him to call people Paki.

I just didn't jump in initially because I didn't want to be viewed as arguing just because it was you ;-)

Yeah I regret jumping in so solidly - I still think asking the question "Why is the use of "Paki" derided but "Dour Scots" is acceptable. " is a bit disingenuous tho

But cringe or not, a lot of people do want permission to use the term - switch on LBC or almost any talk show discussing the subject now and you;ll here them - so I just asked the question

I honestly thought "Dour Presbyterian Scots" was potentially offensive. Paki is obviously offensive and it is now understood to be so by almost everyone, so only a racist would use it in today's world.

Whether it was correct to link the two or not is debatable, but the point I guess was that if enough Scots began to complain about the phrase then it would eventually be highlighted to such an extent that people would think twice about its use.

I have no knowledge on this but logic suggests that "Paki" was once a shortened version and later became recist as a result of it being adopted by racists.

As for Annaj's comment - you can make a comment about an individual being a dour scot, but to make a general comment Dour Scots, suggest they are all dour and is for me technically racist. As for the I'm one myself so its not racist defence, well I don't think it matters a jot that the person who used the phrase was himself Scottish and he was speaking on behalf of the national broadcaster.

And yes I like a good argument.

if someone is indian, why would you need to say "you look like an indian"

if someone isn't an indian, why would you want to?

And of course all races and cultures exhibit racist tendancies - but it shouldn't be acceptable in any case.

As for Dour Presbyterian Scots - if you combine all three, the scottish people I have met who are Presbyterian do tend to be dour. But then so do the irish Presbyterians. I haven't met any Presbyterians from Pakistan tho.. so can't comment

That's the thing with presbyterianism - dourness is sort of built in. I don't think it's particularly Scottish. And besides no one is scrawling "go home Scotty Presbyterians" on any houses that I know of

I think MickMac raised the right question early on in this thread - is it about how it's intended or how it's perceived?

Basically, the rule of thumb (in my view) is about how it's perceived. If it becomes generally understood through long useage in a negative way that a term is perceived as racist, then even the most innocent use may cause offence. So if you call your best friend a Paki and he calls you a Sweaty in return and it's OK between the 2 of you, then that's up to your private interaction. But if you use it in general even meaning no offence then you could be causing offence by people who don't know you and your intentions - here, the effect of your statement is to say 'I'm expecting you to take on board my good intentions and good thoughts, even though I'm using a term which I know others have used as part of racist hatred'. I don't think that's reasonable.

Of course, the upshot of all this is indeed that people become nervous and sensitive, and some are perceived as over-sensitive. It does become a bit tedious when one cannot use any descriptive term without potentially incurring the wrath of people quick to sniff out prejudice on behalf of groups to which they belong, or on whose behalf they are suspecting prejudice. I think it's a question of lesser evils, and I'll be a bit more sympathetic to the grumbling about PC gone mad (not that I've heard it on the thread, just to be clear) when we don't live in a world of blatant prejudice and disadvantage.

Also, this is a great thread and very relevant to concerns of today, and just airing of views and experiences, so thanks for starting it. I'd really like to be engaged in it more, but am frantically busy today, so just will hope I haven't caused any massive offence, and will duck out now.

the scottish people I have met who are Presbyterian do tend to be dour

But as the Church of Scotland, the mainstream church in Scotland, is Presbyterian, you would be describing an awful lot of people if you were to extend that observation beyond those who you "have met".

Now listen here Sean you know you can?t be an EX-catholic. Just because you don?t believe in god, don?t go to church, don?t participate in any religious activity have broken all ties and completely disassociated yourself from the catholic church doesn?t mean you aren?t catholic.

I bet you?re a pisshead too.

and the weather must contribute as well. To the dourness I mean

Ireland and Scotland surely share a climate. Yet you Irish are all fiddle de dee and come all ye, and the Scots are only known to smile when they see a dog run over.

How to explain it?