The Witching Hour(s)

darlin'

Hello!

Just wondering if any of you wiser mums have any tips for how to entertain a young toddler through the agony of the so-called "witching hours" of around 4-6 pm??

Have only recently discovered how awful this time of day can be, especially now in the winter when popping to the park before tea really isn't an option!

I am starting to go ever so slightly mad with all the whinging and the moaning and would welcome any suggestions (though my toddler is probably a bit young for fun arts and crafts, sadly!)

Thanks so much!

Sing together now "Nina and the Neurons"...

Ceebeebees for us these days from 4:30ish when we get home from whatever reason for getting out of the house I've thought up for the afternoon (today we've been to Hope and Greenwood especially to buy liquorice satins - so I'm coping with the witching hour by pumping myself full of sugar ;-) ).

My kids have their dinner at 5:30, so it's just about manageable. Older boy sits and watches TV, younger tends to "help" me in the kitchen while I get dinner ready.

Even if we've got nothing planned we tend to go for a walk around the block just to get us out, and the kids seem to think it's an adventure being out when it's getting dark.

Admittedly there are days where I start looking at all the ads on the forum placed by young people wanting babysitting work - would it be cruel to lump a 17 year old student with 2 grumpy children at 4:30??

Not all of us are 17...I would be more than happy to entertain kids for a couple of hours myself and am the grand old age of 24!!!

I'd suggest activities such as paper plane making and then a flying competition from the top of the stairs / across a front room. Best decorated gets a prize, futhest distance, best flier etc.

You can also do things like Pickle said getting them involved with dinner. For example making fresh minature pizzas and they have to design all the vegatbles on the theirs - that also makes them understand foods etc.

Or make it reading time - get them in to a routine - if possible, for younger ones get a tape book for them to get involved with?

You could of course simply walk the long way home from school...go via the library if only to add on 10minutes or so!

Enjoy!

Known as the 'arsenic hour' in my house. Another vote for the TV I'm afraid. Mine are at pre-school/childminder all day 3 days a week, so it's their only chance to see TV. Otherwise we get the play doh out...nice and creative but minimal mess. Sticker books always go down well too and they both love jigsaw puzzles. Agreed though, it's not much fun from now until March!

This year (2 1/2 and 4 1/2) it's not so bad. We can do colouring, or stories, and yes, TV while I'm cooking supper. But last year was much trickier. I found a long bath could be quite fun - lots of pouring and tea parties, but in a contained space. We had, and have, lots of dancing too. An outing in the buggy too can kill a bit of time too and lots of the shops have pretty lights and things this time of year (lots of things to look at on Northcross Road at the moment) Good luck!

I normally find myself paralytic on the eight pack of Carling i pick up whilst getting the kids from school. Then ring Dominoes for the pizza about 5pm to be bought round, that's if one of the little shits hasn't moved the phone from by my chair then pass out during the One show, not quite sure what the kids do though.

Yes, was going to say my 5 year old now easy peasy - colouring, playing, cake making or helping me with dinner. TV as a good fall back if she is very tired. After school playdates are wonderful things too!!

14 month old harder, though having a big sister helps. I think as a parent you can feel very isolated at this time of day and year. If you have friends nearby try playdates, and even joint bath times then wrap them up their PJs and straight home to bed. If you take it in turns to host it can fill up one or two nights a week, especially if your other half tends to come home late. I find it amazing how much my two cheer up simply by being in a new environment.

If you can't go out try playing in a different room to usual....bedroom? Make a duvet tent or play hide and seek if they are old enough - my big girl never tires of that!

Molly

We are hating the dark/rain too - I think babySB is scared as he gets really upset when we come home in the dark!! Realise that my baby is younger than the original post was aimed at...but....DOOR BOUNCER. From 5.30 every day. Attempt to tire him out (doesn't work but hey!) before bath/bed.

Lots of sofa bouncing accompanied by yelling I'm A Kangaroo! at top volume is very popular in our house... with my son, at least.

Variations on the theme include bouncing on our bed/being chucked onto our bed with the bedding all piled up into a heap, bouncing in his cot etc. etc.

Second the wine!

Now am back at work am v.glad I don't have to do this bit of the day five days a week, as it's really hard (post-childcare routine is much easier than when have been at home).

We (me + 20-month old) go round the block with teddy/dolly in mini-pram. Stare at builders / people out and about(her, not me), rumble around. Followed by Ceebeebees or Dora the Explorer and general stop-all-effort-at-entertaining-her by me.

When cooking, I chuck peelings, utensils, plastic chopping board etc. around and encourage her to play with them, makes a right mess of the kitchen floor, put stuff in the pedal bin etc. but means can actually cook rather than being pestered to be picked up. She also loves the recycling bag as its contents change daily.

Thanks everyone! Some great ideas. I probably should have mentioned that she is only 15 months, but even so, a lot of these things could be tried out!

The TV is already my main fall-back, but it fails to hold her attention for long. How annoying!

Loving the "walk around the block with a torch" idea and am going to store that gem for when she is a bit bigger.

x

We play chase doggy chase.

For this game you will need, one small dog, one small child and one ball. Convince both child and dog that the ball belongs to them (ie: show it to them) give the ball to the dog and sit back while child chases dog all over house trying to get ball while dog dodges under furniture, onto beds etc. So funny x

We played a similar game tonight Curlykaren... but ours involved a 3 year old, a 17 month old and a balloon. Hilarious until the point where the 17 month old got really annoyed and attacked her brother with a combination of teeth and fingernails (admittedly I was still finding it quite funny at this point, but did my best to show sympathy to my fragile flower of a son!)