Is anyone not having children....

Guppy

wow I am so glad you asked that...I have just moved here and I was seriously thinking i must be the only person without children/husband in tow....I have been checking out the shops/market coffee shops and east dulwich is lovely but sometimes I wonder where all the people in my position are!! So you are definitely not the only one guppy :)

Those who choose not to have children are abandoning any further participation in mankind's evolutionary future.

Also, they are breaking a hitherto continuous link though tens of thousands of ancestors who fought and suffered to pass on their genes only for their lineage to be snuffed out as a result of a contemporary life-style choice.

The need to breed is something one has or one does not have.

If we stop breeding - nature science chemicals and stuff will take back the planet and maybe it will be alright. We won't know or care, because we won't be here.

Oh - and to a poster above - my parents didn't want me. I was an accident. Had they not had me, I wouldn't know so it wouldn't matter.

I think kids should choose their parents that's for sure! Having a womb and all the workings, doesn't necessarily mean the 'right' (loving caring conscientious) people have kids.

[quote name=Those who choose not to have children are abandoning any further participation in mankind's evolutionary future.

Also' date=' they are breaking a hitherto continuous link though tens of thousands of ancestors who fought and suffered to pass on their genes only for their lineage to be snuffed out as a result of a contemporary life-style choice.]

irony... a marvelous form of humour Hal

ps if you knew my family you might doubt the benefits of passing on anything!

Those who choose not to have children are abandoning any further participation in mankind's evolutionary future.

Also, they are breaking a hitherto continuous link though tens of thousands of ancestors who fought and suffered to pass on their genes only for their lineage to be snuffed out as a result of a contemporary life-style choice.

Fought and suffered? That's one way to describe your sex life...

HAL9000 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Those who choose not to have children are

> abandoning any further participation in mankind's

> evolutionary future.

>

> Also, they are breaking a hitherto continuous link

> though tens of thousands of ancestors who fought

> and suffered to pass on their genes only for their

> lineage to be snuffed out as a result of a

> contemporary life-style choice.

Spurious tosh. Fought and suffered to pass on their genes my arse - because ALL babies have been strenuously planned? And all those without kids are making a contemporary life-style choice?

Keef Wrote:

> To be fair, I've lost a load of really close

> friends, because they've moved away for work, or

> gone abroad, kids are not the only reason people

> leave London.

>

> They do stop[ you getting down the pub though,

> little sh!ts.

Raid their piggy banks and come out friday night.

charliecharlie Wrote:

> ps if you knew my family you might doubt the

> benefits of passing on anything!

Having had the pleasure of you acquaintance, I beg to differ ? I imagine any child would be blessed to have a parent like you.

RosieH Wrote:

> Spurious tosh. Fought and suffered to pass on

> their genes my arse

I was thinking of our ancient ancestors - those ape-like bipedal hunter-gatherers who roamed the savannahs of Africa when I wrote that. Mind you, we can all trace our ancestry back to one amoeba-like blob that lived around three and a half billion years ago - so my time line was a bit arbitrary.

> - because ALL babies have been

> strenuously planned?

> And all those without kids

> are making a contemporary life-style choice?

I wasn't being judgemental - just generalising about our amazing evolutionary history - put it down to poetic licence after a long day and a couple of glasses of wine.

Being ape-like, bipedal* and having spent a portion of my life roaming African savannah I would like to say to everyone that my genes and I take no offence if you choose not to reproduce.

*Not so much for the hunting a gathering though. I prefer Wimpy.

Yes, and it's that sort of preference (for Wimpy) that lead to the evolution of Iceland, which could be taken over by Waitrose or M&S, thereby preventing ED from evolving into the new Clapham.

I put it to you, sir, that you are standing in the way of evolution.

RosieH wrote:- And all those without kids are making a contemporary life-style choice?

I made the same lifestyle choice not to have kids, but it just didn't happen for me.

I was wrong, I made the wrong decision, I am quite happy about the end result.