Huge funding boost for East Dulwich schools

TJMP

I'm interested in hearing their squabbles.

This is supposed to be politics, not some warm fuzzy giant PTA meeting where everyone drinks tea, eats digestives, listens sympathetically with cocked head to other points of view and then finished with a group hug.

I want petty squabbling, backstabbing, smear and lies. I want it here, and a I want it now.

To clarify - the position is set out in the email I sent to Toast which was posted at 7.19pm yesterday.

The government has provided more than ?12 million to Southwark in extra funding. This is for capital works required to build accommodation for extra school places. It is specifically to support the provision of additional places "by 2011" and is on top of the ?50.5 million already allocated to Southwark by the government for capital spending on schools for the period 2008/11.

How this extra money is spent is a decision for the local authority which, in this case, has shown itself to be behind the game and certainly in a poor position of planning for new school places compared to Lambeth - part of which I also represent.

The ?12 million extra is a substantial funding settlement making a total of ?62.6 million for Southwark over three years. The Schools Minister, in his letter to me on Monday, made it clear that the money must be spent by 2011.

I would encourage anyone with an interest in this matter to approach their councillors and council candidates to seek their views on where they stand on this issue and why Southwark handled the concerns of local parents so badly earlier this year.

For information, I have attached a copy of the letter I sent to Ed Balls in August of this year putting the case for extra funding. I have had two meetings with the Schools Minister, Vernon Coaker, to press the issue since that letter was sent.

Tessa Jowell MP

TJMP Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Following a campaign by local parents and myself

> and after two meetings I have had with the Schools

> Minister, Vernon Coaker, I am pleased to be able

> to report that Southwark has been allocated an

> extra ?12 million by the government towards the

> capital funding needed for new school places in

> the East Dulwich area.

>

> Tessa Jowell MP

Well done indeed Tessa Jowell. A substantial sum of money - all the more welcome in these straitened financial times. And good to see you working so effectively with local parents. And for engaging directly with the EDF and the vocal section of the local community that it represents!

TJ

So we are clear on this

>This is for capital works required to build accommodation for extra school places. It is specifically to support the provision of additional places "by 2011" and is on top of the ?50.5 million already allocated to SouthwarkHow this extra money is spent is a decision for the local authority which, in this case, has shown itself to be behind the game and certainly in a poor position of planning for new school places compared to Lambeth - part of which I also represent.<

So Southwark are rubbish at the job but there's ?12 million more in their kitty to spend at will by 2011

Also with this money, what assurance are we to get that the rapid spend programme that Southwark will now undertake is properly audited ? We have seen the collusion recently between Major contractors when bidding on these type of large projects, what are you doing to make sure we get value for money ?

Spending it is the easy bit, making sure it is done well is another. As you said yourself of Southwark "itself to be behind the game and certainly in a poor position of planning "

2011 is not far away, Southwark are poor planners. Doesn't fill the heart with joy does it.

W**F

I agree with Toast!

toast Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Nick is saying nothing about the crass nature of

> the admissions policy which leaves people either

> their nearest school or the ones no one else wants

> far away. Learn a lesson from Lewisham (and

> goodness knows how many other boroughs) or you

> will have a lot of the same problems this year!

> There is extra money, schools welcoming the extra

> funding, everyone is doing their bit but poor

> policy had a large role to play in the upset last

> year and needs fixing!

So it seems Tessa Jowell supported Nick Stantons application ( see PDF) I imagine this is how things should work. the council knows it needs omse more money to increase schools places. The council apllies to central government who control the funds. Tessa supports the application.

I don't think for a minute that she wouldn't support it. Why wouldn't anyone assoicated with the borough not support it? If the leader of the council in any borough asks for more money for schools it would be a sucidial Local MP who wouldn't support it

Well done council for getting the money, thankyou Tessa for helping.

Lets spend it to get the biggest benefit we can

Re Policy

The most fabulous Fiona Colley says

"The scrutiny report has now been presented to the executive and they agreed to ask the Admissions Forum".

The Scrutiny did highlight the problem of policy and recomended looking at the Lewisham clause to help out those out in the sticks. Not sure how much Influence they can have if the council dig their heals in so as not to lose face! Also might not be in time for our lot! Fingers crossed!

Smiler Wrote:

> It would be good to know whether the additional funding is for capital (buildings, portacabins, equipment, IT etc.) only, or whether it can also be used to pay salaries of teaching and support staff.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The answer to this is in my post above (here) - the extra money is entirely for capital funding and is earmarked for expanding primary school places. It is in addition to the ?50.5 million in capital funding made available to Southwark for the period 2008-2011.

Tessa Jowell MP

I can't help but think, Ms Jowell, that what should have been a triumphant announcement has rather been squashed and deflated. Do you think perhaps that this is because of people's cynicism about the motives of politicians?

If you did genuinely put in a lot of work to get this funding then "Well done!". If however, it was Nick Stanton's work that you are coat-tailing on then the cynicism is well placed. I suppose it will never be clear who should take the credit.

Nonetheless, regardless of who gets the credit, it does sound like a very good thing that in these days of tight budgets that south Southwark should be getting an extra chunk of change to fund additional primary school places (particularly since we've just had a baby and would quite like him to go to a decent primary school in ED without a fight for places in 5 years time).

Thank you for letting us know about this funding increase.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little concerned at the randomness of the funding allocations.

Southwark had 2.5 bulge classes this year. 1 in north Southwark 1.5 in Dulwich area. We get ?12m for more school places.

Lewisham and Lambeth had 6 bulge classes each and respectively get zilch and ?9m.

Next Friday 18th I'll be meeting the executive member of Southwark's education and officers to try understanding all this.