Issues with Virgin Media - anyone having similar problems?

I flagged the issue with the sales person I spoke to and they said it was down to cable being replaced in the area and not a specific exchange upgrade, but that the work was now completed. Not sure they would know the full story and obviously it's their job to reassure me and get me to sign up, but thought it worth relaying what I'd heard.

• 2 weeks later...
It may not be an option for all, but I upgraded to TalkTalk's Fibre broadband for ?32 inc line rental fixed for 18 months. I'm getting 75mb down, 16mb up down the Grove Tavern end of LL. It may not be as fast as Virgin's 100mb download, but is reliable and as far as I know doesn't dramatically drop during busy periods.

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone interested I spoke with Virgin Media last week about their slow speeds.

They claimed it was an ongoing issue at peak times which slows speeds down to less than 5mbs. They said it would likely be fixed in the new year.

They have given me a regular monthly discount until the problem is due to be fixed. I recommend getting in touch with them if anyone else experiences the same issues.

[email protected]

I had a Virgin engineer round to sort a landline 'phone issue last week, he checked the internet connection as well and found all the settings were wrong (no idea what they were but he showed me a screen with about a dozen red/green lights and they were all red). Since he fixed it I'm getting 60mbps on an advertised speed of 50mpbs (previously was getting about 20mbps), so worth asking them to check one's personal installation if possible.

I have just moved to Herne Hill from Dulwich Village where I had BT Infinity which was generally OK albeit with variable speed. It was OK eves and weekends. Although I have kept my telephone number and exchange (Brixton) I can't get BT Infinity at the new house at the moment due to capacity in the cabinet. It will take a while to sort out so I am thinking of getting Virgin Media superfast broadband via cable pro-tem (there is already a connector in the house) but see on local forums there are issues with overcapacity. Are the problems reported here about Virgin Media affecting Herne Hill (Ruskin) as well? It doesn't bode well to see promises being made and timescales for rectifying constantly delayed. Bladonad talks about a fix in the new year for slow speeds.

As I've posted previously, Virgin always quotes fixes 3 months hence therefore they will currently be stating Jan for their fix. Come Jan they will be stating April... On the plus side, their engineers are very good at coming round to sort slow speeds every few months if you can be bothered getting through the automated phone maze.

I work from home, and my fibre broadband connection drops every 15-20 minutes. I started keeping notes of times, but it got ridiculous.

Virgin issues going on for nearly a year now, with constant promises of improvement. The area is totally oversubscribed and we were told the upgrade to the system would be complete in August. Then on August 31st we received a letter saying it would no be December 30.

I called to complain (AGAIN)and was offered a "take it or leave" discount of ?10 per month off. No negotiation at all.

They said leave or go to the Ombudsman. ....so we've started a complain with the Ombudsman.

Does anyone know if multiple complaints are collated by the Ombudsman or if they are all handled individually.

Virgin Media in East Dulwich is an absolute joke.

We have fibre up to 50mb in SE15 3PL but every night the speeds drop ridiculously slow, don't think I've ever seen it at 50. Moving house to East Dulwich Rd and have been offered vivid 100mb for ?29 a month, any comment on if it's any better/worse around there? Would we be better off with Sky or BT Fibre? Thanks!

Tractorlad Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Mick Mack. I think of the main broadband

> providers you either have cable (Virgin are the

> only option locally) or ADSL (all the rest using

> BT infrastructure). However, whilst its

> technically not necessary to have a landline with

> Virgin, they bundle this with their TV and

> broadband in such a way that its more expensive

> not to have it! End result all the providers are

> roughly the same price for TV+Phone+Broadband give

> or take a few pounds and new customer incentives.

> The Culture Secretary recently proposed scrapping

> of line rental for households not making fixed

> line calls and encouraged the main broadband

> providers to come up with alternative charging

> models.

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35869222

Thanks Tractorlad - very helpful.

@ed_pete's right, Virgin did do a fix earlier this year which sorted things out. I went from regularly getting less than 2mb to consistently getting between 50-100mb.

@mickmack, i've got a package from Virgin without a landline. I had to harass them to get it, but we simply never used the the landline so there was no point paying for it.