Issues with Virgin Media - anyone having similar problems?

We changed from Virgin on Friday last week to BT Infinity - and BT is superb compared to Virgin (Friern Road)

Apparently we were only getting 4 (mpbs or whatever it is called) with Virgin and now 45 with BT.

We didn't need it for work but with Virgin we couldn't download on demand in HD (eg Sky on demand) as the programme would run at a speed quicker than the download speed !!

All works brilliantly now. and we have BT sport at ?6 per month as part of package which was actually the driver of the change. so everyone's happy.

Still no TV or internet here and engineer not coming till Friday. Spent hours being passed round various departments this afternoon - the first person offered ?7.68 compensation but told me I'd get more if I went through to another department. So she put me through, the second person said she could only offer me ?2.71, and when I complained and said well in that case I'll go back to the first person, she said she wasn't authorised to let me do that! It'd be funny if it weren't so annoying - ?2.71 barely covers the cost of a coffee for me to squat in a wifi-connected cafe for an hour to get some work done. I'm composing a very grumpy letter to them...

• 2 weeks later...

Rob, our area will have connectivity issues until the January 2017.

Virgin have massively oversubscribed their service in the area and everyone's connection will be choked or patchy until they resolve it.

Was MEANT to be August, then September and now January.

We requested a refund and got a miniscule ?10 per month, so we are in the process of going to the ombudsman about it, as they are STILL advertising for new customers in the area.

• 4 weeks later...
It's down near North Cross Road too. I've been told it's an area problem - again. This is the last straw for us and we will be researching other Wifi providers this weekend (quite hard to do without Wifi!). I too work from home so it causes major disruption each time it's down - this is the third failure in six months. And even when it works it's patchy and slow. V. fed up...

Off all day until about half an hour ago. I've negotiated a rolling credit of ?20 a month since last September because speeds are way down on what they should be. They claim speeds will be back to normal by end of March so I keep claiming my credit every month until they do.

Used to get 170mb, now only 70. In October 2016 they sent me a text, an email and called me to proclaim they were upgrading me to 200mb for free! Not holding my breath.

Blimey, I've obviously missed a trick, worldwiser. How do you check your broadband speed? I just tried tapping it into google and found a site called broadband.co.uk which said I've only got 58mb at the moment (wifi is back on here) but is that the best way to test it? I've no idea how reliable these sites are.

Don't know how you've managed to negotiate such a good discount - I kicked up a huge fuss last time and was only being offered absolutely paltry sums in compensation - less than ?3! Any tips on how I can claim something back? Though I guess if I'm leaving Virgin (which I fully intend to) it may not be worth the hassle...