Issues with Virgin Media - anyone having similar problems?

I find you tend to get more willing staff via the chat function on the website, that's how I got it. I also pointed out that the BBC catch-up is often unavailable until the next day - you can watch via BBC website but not with Virgin which is totally rubbish.

And speedtest.net is a good site for benchmarking your speeds. Make sure no-one else or other bandwidth devouring devices are using the Internet when you run it.

You may regret leaving - when it works (which is more often than not) it's the fastest provider around and BT's service is just as prone to disappoint. Maybe just go totally 4G and get rid of everything else. The rolls Royce package with EE incl HD TV is only 38.50 a month..

Use speedtest.net and then use fast.com, fast.com is owned by Netflix and its a ping to their servers, so you can check if you get a higher speed on speedtest.net and then if you are getting a lower speed on fast.com it means that your ISP is throttling your connection to netflix (believe me that happens).

On the contrary I should be on 170mbps and am on 20mbps almost a year now... so with 70mbps you should be considered lucky.

Virgin media is oversubscribed on East Dulwich and I don't know if there are any laws about that but there should be...

Its like joining a gym that can fit 100 people and the gym has 5000 members... you obviously won't be able to do anything, same happens with virgin atm.

Organised for Virgin to come over the weekend to fix things as they said there's also a problem with our modem as well as with their network.

Stayed in most of Saturday and nobody turned up.

Apparently i contacted them to cancel the appointment.

A new excuse to beat all others.

They've also formally acknowledge the contention issue's back (if it ever went)...

"there does appear to be a high demand for our service in your area under the fault reference F004756302, with a review set for 29 MARCH 2017"

What a bunch of idiots.

the only way virgin pull this off is by us all being separate, distinct, customers, each having to raise our own, individual concerns with them. If there was a common forum, ie. by postcode, they'd be shot to bits in seconds and wpould have to concede there's a calculated rip-off in this area.

Possibly others too, but how would we know.

We've had virgin for the last year or so and whilst significantly better than old broadband, it is really patchy at times- e.g. Sunday evenings/most evenings and often not reliable to work from home. However we're se15- just off bellenden. Does anyone know if the 'capacity issue' is the same reason over here? Good to know before I call and negotiate a discount.

Just been on the phone to them - in spite of the website saying that the Broadband status is OK in SE22 they have told me that there is an issue (well duh !) and it will be fixed by 24th January. As we all know that Virgin's promises are as useless as a eunuch in a brothel, we'll have to wait and see.

We are in SE15, near Bellenden Rd and have been having on and off issues with Virgin since signing up. Recently poor again in the evenings / weekends, been told it's down to capacity issues / replacement of cables, now to be fixed by end of March (I just got deja-vu as I been told the same story for >12 months now...)

Mumofone Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We've had virgin for the last year or so and

> whilst significantly better than old broadband, it

> is really patchy at times- e.g. Sunday

> evenings/most evenings and often not reliable to

> work from home. However we're se15- just off

> bellenden. Does anyone know if the 'capacity

> issue' is the same reason over here? Good to know

> before I call and negotiate a discount.

We're just off Bellenden too and have had Virgin for the last year, on the Superfibre 50 package which is supposed to give us 50mbps we're actually getting 60mbps and haven't had a fault with the broadband. On the downside the landline has dropped out four times in the year, each time requiring an engineer, and getting hold of help has been frustrating.

One thing that Virgin seem to have a huge problem with is the reliability of their DNS servers (in layman's terms the phone book of the internet). It's fairly trivial to switch your DNS server to point at GoogleDNS or OpenDNS. I've found that this improves the reliability of my broadband considerably.

By way of illustration one of my machines at home has been unable to access the internet for a couple of days, after wasting a couple of hours troubleshooting I noticed it was still using the router for DNS, quick setting change and everything's happy again.

alex_b Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> One thing that Virgin seem to have a huge problem

> with is the reliability of their DNS servers (in

> layman's terms the phone book of the internet).

> It's fairly trivial to switch your DNS server to

> point at GoogleDNS or OpenDNS. I've found that

> this improves the reliability of my broadband

> considerably.

>

> By way of illustration one of my machines at home

> has been unable to access the internet for a

> couple of days, after wasting a couple of hours

> troubleshooting I noticed it was still using the

> router for DNS, quick setting change and

> everything's happy again.

8.8.8.8 :) is one of Googles DNS - easy to remember anywhere.

Ok - so I too am affected by the erratic internet supply by virgin media.

My ex uses BT forbhis wifi.

My children report that BT is way, way worse than Virgin and drops out when more than device plus a pm is making demands of it.

It may well be a case of better the devil you know (sadly). I think virgin exploits its speed (when it works).

Sigh.

Thanks Rendel Harris...I've spoken to Virgin and they have confirmed there is a capacity issue around here too so are offering me ?8.50 off a month but can only backdate it 3 months. Apparently due to be fixed on 29th March...don't hold your breath!

They said they would let me out of contract but as broadband is so poor and no BT fibre available not got many options.

Has everyone else had on/off issues this week and then today just off? i checked status around 10.30 and they said engineer would be out to fix by 3pm... but no update. I wfh so have come to a local cafe just to work. Its particularly annoying as we just moved to their 100MB package last wk, so not a great start!