Foxtons - it's happening

the cloak

the Yoot have done those scummers Haart a hadful of time - that huge expanse of plate glass is cries out for some illegible scrawling.

Its a shame that the Yoot dont politicise their energy and glue up a few locks or write something that makes you think.

Posted by: macroban Today, 01:07PM

> Agents who cannot even be bothered to sell will, quite rightly, find themselves out of business in no time once Foxtons kick off.

Which will be the first to fail?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Macroban, I have looked into my commercially astute crystal ball and have come up with Property In. We'll have to see what the future holds for them.

I have friends who live close to Putney, which is in the record books for having more estate agents along one stretch than any other location in the UK... Far from frighten the other agents off, I am afraid they will attract yet more EA's to the locality which will be great for house prices and awful for people who just want to go shopping up the lane. :(

I think that's true Louisa - assuming you mean that "great for house prices" mean they go up... which I don't see as a good thing

I lived in Swindon for 3 years and worked in a bar - when walking home late at night I would often be accosted by drunk out-of-towners (not tourists obviously - visiting football fans) wanting to know if there was anything else but estate agents in the town

Sadly they weren't far wrong

Foxtons really do compl,etely change an area.... I would say since moving into Putney, roughly 50% of the retail units are now occupied by EA's.. Can you imagine what LL would look like? I wonder if the Foxtons top management have been to Peckham? they obviously are not aware that it is less than 2 miles away from ED haha :)

I've heard that Foxtons are offering no fee for the first three months of their arrival in ED - just to ensure house price inflation. I've just finished dealing with estate agents and could describe them as muppets but it would be an insult to muppets!

its quality that counts not quantity;-)foxtons will not take over ED,the problem is by reading the posts on this thread,peeps assume they will,as far as estate agents go,i have spoken to a few agents on LL and they are not that bothered about it.

This all kinda makes me wish that East Dulwich had a different name. It is getting all this attention from estate agents etc. because people from outside hear the name and think it is the ?Eastern part? of Dulwich. This just attracts the kind of poncy tw*t who has been priced out of Fulham but just has to have an address that isn?t an embarrassment at dinner parties.

East Dulwich is not part of Dulwich. It is a separate area (the suburb east of Dulwich) with a very different character which is exactly why I moved away from bloody Putney to live here 3 years ago.

I think we would be better off being called South Peckham of West Nunhead. :-S

I know I?m ranting here but it all just upsets my so much. I am just starting to consider ED home and I love the place but I don?t want to have to run screaming in a few years because walking down the high street has become like scratching bloodied fingernails down a rusty blackboard. (6)

You moved here from Putney 3 years ago Brendan and already you're wanting to change the name of the place to avoid poncey tw*ts from Fulham. Blimey, let's put a moat around East Dulwich out and keep out all undesirables.

Sorry, I don't understand your last paragraph. Why would walking down the high street become "like scratching bloodied fingernails down a rusty blackboard"?

Please don't anyone mention buggies or class

That moat seems like a good idea mark. >:D< I'm generally just ranting here though. Got a headache and a hump on this morning. Of course I realise I am in the proverbial glass house.

Listen its personal preference but I don?t like high streets that are populated with estate agents and chain stores. I?m not some revolutionary opponent of the free market I just liked the character of LL and I desperately would like to live in a place that maintains some kind or ?real? character. They are few and far between. I?m sure you will agree that finding a place in London that is neither a complete dump nor a haven of pretentious prattery is pure gold.

East Dulwich is the first place I have lived in London where the nature of the area and its people actually makes me want to contribute to and become part of the community. I quite like the 3 wheeled buggies and I even like the pitbulls.

Anyway we?re getting off topic. Foxtons, horrible storefronts, ugly cars and employees who spin bulsh*t for a living. They sound fantastic. :-S

ED cannot become a haven for chain stores! I've said this before and i'll say it again, ED is extremely residential and LL does not have the room for expansion for large chain stores. I agree that someone like Foxtons might be able to find a plae to setup, but it's still not going to attract any of the big chains onto the lane, unless they fill the places already occupied by chains eg Iceland, Somerfield... :)

What a childish statement. All estate agents should be considered 'scum' seemingly because they profit from buying and selling houses. By that rationale, anyone who has ever profited from buying or selling a product should perhaps be considered scum as well. Estate agents are not the only people that make money by bringing a buyer and seller together...

Ridiculous.

Some salespeople do this well and others do it badly, regardless of the product they are selling.

Gerrard Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What a childish statement. All estate agents

> should be considered 'scum' seemingly because they

> profit from buying and selling houses. By that

> rationale, anyone who has ever profited from

> buying or selling a product should perhaps be

> considered scum as well. Estate agents are not the

> only people that make money by bringing a buyer

> and seller together...

>

> Ridiculous.

>

> Some salespeople do this well and others do it

> badly, regardless of the product they are selling.

Childish or not, they are scum.

Along with door to door geordie bogus fish salseman, they are at the bottom of the sales pile - no expertise, no idea of the product they are selling a apart from what their boss has told them to value it at, few vocational qualifications - scum.

Kate Fox in "Watching the English" says that estate agents are so hated because they break several taboos in our culture, the chief ones being around breaking our privacy rules (they come into your house and snoop around, judging your taste and lifestyle) and money (they tend to know exactly how much you're worth). This helps to explain, she says, the almost univeral disregard for the people that do the job.

I like Snorky's idea that they're scum. Yes, the word is a little harsh by jove he means it! what happened to you then Snorks? did they snoop around your gaff, critize your lava lamp and then tell you your place was worth a fiver? must have been bad...