In East Dulwich in 2007 I would like to see...

Mark

The running shop does indded do bikes - good uns at that - ??????

as ibo sez- There are a handful of bike shops around the place - Edwardes in Cambers, Brixton has one or two, Herne hill has a good un.

the relatively short hop to Decathalon in the Quays has a devent range of well priced bikes.

Keef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Edwards in Camberwell has been there for years,

> and has enjoyed a good reputation. That said, I

> bought my bike there years ago, so not sure what

> it's like now....

not that good to be honest. - you need to know what you want to get the best deal

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who posted suggestions and I will go and check out the Triathlon shop. However I am more of a "down to northcross road to do the shopping" cyclist than a 50km after a 20km swim, lycra-clad athlete.

The point for me however is not to find somewhere to buy a new bike but to help me keep my 8-year old road bike running. I need someone who can supply parts for the things I can fix myself, do the jobs I can't and give it an overhaul once every couple of years.

I've used Edwards, and would strongly recommend both Herne Hill Bicycles and Brixton Cycles. My only complaint is that it's a long way to wheel a broken bike to Herne Hill or Brixton. Even if I can ride there - just for a service say - it feels like a hassle to drop it off in the morning, get the bus home, take the bus back in the evening and then ride back. (have you ever waited for a 37? Twice in one day?)

So, all you budding cyclentrepreneurs out there...spot that opportunity!

not2late

In East Dulwich I would like to see shopsmore like they were in the good old days before these nasty home counties types moved in, when every workhouse had a piano, and policemen gave you a clip round the ear and the shops in Lordship lane were much more authentic

Lordship Lane circa 1900

You don't see that lad in a 3 wheeled pram now do you, and he's even neatening his tie. That's because he never had a mobile phone.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You have no idea how hard we in Peckham Rye SE15 side tried to get TFL and the council Highways Department to get a filter green light for us to turn right safely.

We worked so hard and made plans and took photos and so on.

We asked for a roundabout when first the new lights were put in at the SE15 side of Peckham Rye (as distinct from the SE22 side which leads to Barry Road/CLockhouse)

But Southwark Council will Not Listen.

They just have Community Councils and SAY they listen.

woodie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> one of those slip lights..a traffic light with a

> turn right->at the corner of east dulwich road and

> peckham rye.

> bout it.

I'd like to see more cafe's and maybe more of those places that you can paint on crockery with your kids. I love those.

While we're at it why not introduce more pelican crossings on Lordship LAne, It's impossible getting from the deli to the card shop without having to walk miles up to the little green man near Newcross road.

Finally, how about installng some kind of gated perimeter to keep out those not from ED?

In East Dulwich in 2008 I would like to see...

2 Suggestions

1. I would love to see a decent Wood-fired pizza place. A great family owned place ( of course- what else?) or failing that something like Firezza (who are now in Herne Hill (but takewaway only). EDT Pizza isn't good enough, The Mag is good but wood fired would be the best.

2. For me to come back from work one night, bike up lordship lane and not seeing Foxtons realising that it had just been a bad dream ( Bobby Ewing Style) and the 50 million trees that went into the letters the I received from them still growing & sucking up CO2.

Snorky - such simple observations and so correct.... you would have to be in some deluded state that made you think you were in some kind of new middle class that was secretly more informed than the rest of the uk not to see what it is that you are saying.

• 7 years later...