> The site used to be a farm with a farm house atop

> from around the 17th century.

>

> I remember in the 80's there was an urban legend

> of some-one jumping off the top as they had done

> some Acid and thought they could fly. There is a

> bent metal rail where they were have supposed to

> have landed on the Dunstan rd end.

Not an urban legend I'm afraid - it was my neighbour's son. Sounds like the story's been given legs though

daizie that was very elitist and snobby of you. not everyone can afford to live in nice houses and many housing estates are pleasant and have good people living in them too. Not all housing association and council estates are full of criminals.

How do you know that it would be horrid to live there? I should have thought the view would be great(er than even the one I have!)

No you read it wrong PR! I meant the opposite. I have lived in council blocks, top floor and it isnt always pleasant . Thats what i was saying , 'count yourself lucky' if you have money and dont have to live there! blimey . How on earth could i be a snob :-S

I have a friend in Dawsons and they live near the top floor. The flats are amazing inside(most have 3 floors) and are excellently maintained. From the top you can see planes take off and land at heathrow on a clear day. Dawsons is definately no Aylsebury.

philiphenslowe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I love the building. In my 31 years in East

> Dulwich I only managed to go up there for the

> first time on new year's day + the views were

> fantastic. I always like to see it twinkling in

> the distance on a dark evening from the top deck

> of the bus when it gets to the top of Dog Kennel

> Hill.

You're not the architect by any chance, are you?

hi,i had school friends live there,i remember seeing the bent rail in the eighties where someone had jumped.i was told then that there had been as many suicides as the flats were old.possibly 13 then,unfortunatly since then a friend jumped and took his own life.i really hope the council have since made it impossible to climb to the roof,as youngsters it was very easy.colin.

I've always liked Dawsons Heights, especially at night when lit up.

A friend of my dad's jumped to his death, but can't remember if it would have been 80s or early 90s. Jah Lush and I discussed this a couple of years ago when we first met, after another thread on this forum about the place.

With regards the burial mound, they used to say Hornimans (sand pit side) was used as a burial ground after the plague, but I believe that is just myth too.

Such a waste of a fantastic site. It's not an attractive building and doesn't do justice to it's commanding position. It's a landmark but I can't help thinking of the famous quote by Prince Charles.... "a monstrous carbunkle on the face of a much-loved friend".

• 2 years later...

just some pic of the very first episode of the sweeney,but was called regan in 1974 all filmed around east dulwich,overhill road and underhill road honour oak mansions all round and as you can see filmed here at the battleship estate or dawsons heights and as for suicides from here yes there has been a few,they reckon that because its the highest point around there and if your in that state of mind at the time,, well,, as for ghost and romans and bronze and iron age they where all over the south of london and kent,

ps some of the suicides were from the maudsley hospital in denmark hill

• 3 years later...

daizie Wrote:

> Just be grateful you dont have to live in it .

Daizie, it's a pleasure to live in Dawson Heights and was a choice not a necessity. it is very pleasant with a lovely community.

i love the architecture and it was recently on the Open London tours and listed in the Guardian as a significant piece of architecture.

Fascinating article, ChainshotCannon, thanks for that. I live "in the shadow" of Dawson Heights and love the view - especially at dusk - from the metal seats at the top of the grassy slope - unbeatable. Now I shall have more respect for what went on underneath as well!

Hoopoedi Wrote:

> Fascinating article, ChainshotCannon, thanks for

> that. I live "in the shadow" of Dawson Heights

> and love the view - especially at dusk - from the

> metal seats at the top of the grassy slope -

> unbeatable. Now I shall have more respect for

> what went on underneath as well!

Same here!